User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Default What is the best definition of "unreal" you can come up with?

Please explain your definition if you wish, also for contrast, if anyone is capable of defining "unreal" in terms of science/math that would be pretty interesting to me... Any good Teachers assistants around :P ?

Please may your definition be able cover [through explaining the answer to] the following inspirational query:
    What is unreal love?

Bonus points for using your creativity to the maximum that your understanding will allow.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-02-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added: "please may your definition be able to cover..."
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

Socionics
    ILI

Unreal - imaginary or fantastical.

Mathematics: Unreal would apply to any number that is not in the set of real numbers.
    Science: Unreal would apply to any theorem that has been disproved by concrete, objective, evidence.

Unreal love - false idealization of a partner that is based primarily in fantasy rather than the person at hand.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Ima take a crack at my own challenge!

Unreal: That which is without substance (or also known as spirit)

Math/Science: I'm unsure, would like someone like @ygolo to has a crack at explaining this...

Unreal love: love not based in the reality of material experience: but offering love in accord with what one projects gives true order to the unreal (or spiritual) realm.

By tacit implication:
    Unreal love: only made possible and reasonable to rely on, through the subscription of truth (through an understanding of how to discern truth).

There is a lot more expounding that was buzzing around in my head about the concept "unreal love" earlier, but it isn't coming to me at this time XD; and I'd rather not just make random comments that aren't at least in part inspired through my inclination to respond... Thanks for your intriguing input Alea!
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-02-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added the @, and edited out the ..."a" someone like Also removed: "for yourself" after- discern truth).

@Zangetshumody , I am not sure I am really an authority on this. But since you asked for my opinion directly...

In math, "real" numbers have a particular meaning (as @Alea_iacta_est mentioned), usually, in contrast to "complex" numbers, which have both a "real" and an an "imaginary" component.

In computer science, in the "universal modeling language" objects could be real or virtual. Sometimes, transforming a design often involves "reifying" virtual objects to real objects and vice versa. Making an object "real" in a design means you expect it to be coded into a software artifact. Virtual objects only exist in the design as an abstraction to aid with thinking about the design.

In computer engineering, every layer of abstraction (sometimes with a requirement to be Turing complete), including the hardware abstraction used to be called a virtual machine (these days what used to be called "hypervisors" are called virtual machines).

Continuing on this theme, a simulated world that you can interact with is called "virtual reality"...to contrast this with the corporeal reality we are familiar with.

This brings me to another version of reality in the materialist sense (an attitude scientists adopt to do science, whether or not it is their actual philosophical view). Here, there are "objects" in the world we believe are measurable/detectable in many different (perhaps very indirect) ways.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Unreal is the most real thing in existence, because it can become anything. What's there in the void is nothing to what will be.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My most favorite author, Philip K. Dick said, 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.' So I suppose that unreality is that which you only see when you believe in it. Like, umm.. the goodness of others?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Unreal is the most real thing in existence, because it can become anything. What's there in the void is nothing to what will be.
    Perhaps nothing at the before the works of creation; but after the work is complete, surely it will not be experienced as nothing, but as what is indefinit (or [stated expressly as] "In; def[-nut-lee] in it" (it= the world as the earth)).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    My most favorite author, Philip K. Dick said, 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.' So I suppose that unreality is that which you only see when you believe in it. Like, umm.. the goodness of others?
    Hey Qlip, I know you didn't ask for it, but I feel like giving you a biblical response!

1Co 1:6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:
    1Co 1:7 So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    1Co 1:8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, that ye may be blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1Co 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
    1Co 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
    1Co 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

Christ today is the gift of the Christ in all bothers willingly to sacrifice (let go) of all works of the flesh [this willingness allows the spirit to fully possess the blood]: this is how the blood of the lamb lays claim to the true blood of a man that shall enter the kingdom (after all his debts have been put to rest: which is also why the World will pay death to those who don't believe in the goodness of forgiveness [forgiveness must be unblemished by vanity, lest the vanity be covered by Grace--- this can only be covered by a true Priest, whose mind is your Grave, where you lay your troubles to rest in his hands- managing those consequences over and out to cause the perfection of you as a saint is his gift in the body of Christ: this is what the communities tithes should be enabling: of course you can offset this cost by asking the Priest to tell you to do things depending on your particular commitments/circumstances---). (Yus)Time might have something interest to comment about how time fits into my last point; I can't formulate an opinion as I'm having trouble remembering the last thing he said to me on the subject of time...

Back to my first theme: the biggest problem in the division of mind, can be expressed quite naturally--- Men are not all bisizual when it comes to woman's bodies (I think these are the divisions which are by the house of Chloe): which probably has something to do with the fact that not everyone believe's they understand the perfect formula for what produces the best sexual relations one can accordingly partake in: and because of their vanity they do not see [further addition: and assist with executing] the significance that each and every woman has for the world; and their true importance which lies beyond that significance, because that significance was secretly held by the mind.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 02-07-2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: edited the last phrase of the last sentence to make it more right. Edited: it is changed to "mind", was "earth" formorly

Depending on your definition of what "real" is to begin with, we cannot know if something is unreal because it would require being able to disprove the existence of a thing. And we cant disprove anything, simply prove things. If we proved the non existence of a thing, we would imply it is falsifiable then prove it is actually real.

You dig?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Depending on your definition of what "real" is to begin with, we cannot know if something is unreal because it would require being able to disprove the existence of a thing. And we cant disprove anything, simply prove things. If we proved the non existence of a thing, we would imply it is falsifiable then prove it is actually real.

You dig?
    I take real to mean corporeal.

A corporeal example of a square circle is something that I think can be disproved, but I'm not sure if that was relevant to your point, which I'm not sure I quite understand. Because a square circle is impossible (does that qualify as falsifiable in your schema?); and I don't think it can ever be proved to be real. But that is how the logically impossible operates.