User Tag List

123 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Power to do Evil v. Power to do Good

The power to do evil is greater than the power to do good.

OR

The power to do good is greater than the power to do evil.

Discuss.

(If there is a thread like this, I apologize, but I could not find it.)
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Evil = easier, Good = more potential to change things, I would say.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

How are we defining "evil"?
    And how do we define "good"?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How are we defining "evil"?
    And how do we define "good"?
    You may choose. That's the point!

I do not want to confine your definition; then, it is more interesting.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Oberon

Jennifer, as you're well aware, lots of people have spent their entire lives searching diligently for those definitions, in a form they could firmly believe in.

In fact, I'm going to guess that there's more to your question than just participation in a forum thread.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Jennifer, as you're well aware, lots of people have spent their entire lives searching diligently for those definitions, in a form they could firmly believe in.

In fact, I'm going to guess that there's more to your question than just participation in a forum thread.
    Precisely.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It was less a matter of LL being able to universally define such terms and more about her revealing what her own assumptions were about the question she was asking, so that I would know what sort of answers she was asking for.

(Sort of like asking the teacher to clarify the test instructions, you know?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The short of it is that I think the power to do good increases the overall power in the world, while the power to do evil decreases the over all power in the world.

More long-winded version:
    I am going to interpret "good" and "evil" in a more pragmatic way where there are situations where I believe my own "conscience" would deem something evil vs. good.

Note: what my "conscience" sees as good vs. evil is different from what I "rationalize" to be good vs. evil, and still different from my own desires or impulses. I think of it like a form of perception. Like seeing red vs. blue or balck vs. white, a lot of the same analogies apply.

This perception is suceptable illusion, and selective blindness. Some will have finer ability to discriminate the "hues."

In this sense, I think "evil" generally involves the loss of power of someone else. Here I use "power" in very broad terms. The closest definition for this post is the "ability to choose."

If you kill someone, you take away their ability to choose anything (in this world at least). If you rape someone, you took away their choice of when and whom to participate sexually or emotionally (or in any form) with, and you also took away many physical freedom from them. If you commit any physical violence on someone who is not a willing participant (like in boxing or martial arts), you took away their choice not to be physically harmed. If you rob someone, you take away the choices they would have had with what was taken...

"Good" on the other hand involves "empowering" other people. Giving them more choices. Saving a life (generally) gives them many more choices to come. Teaching/coaching someone, generally gives them a lot more choices. Giving to someone gives them more choices (usually). But the examples I mentioned are only as good as the amount of "empowering" done.

Thats the way my "calculus of good & evil" works.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ

I would define good as win/win (and also lose/win), and evil as win/lose (and also lose/lose)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Evil = easier, Good = more potential to change things, I would say.
    I agree. I don't see one power as inherently stronger than the other, in addition.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.