User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Power to do Evil v. Power to do Good

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    The power to do evil is greater than the power to do good.
    Human beings are generally flawed and weak. They give in to their impulses and feelings which aren't always good. I'd say evil wins, but only in the context you've provided.

MBTI
    infp

Arn't they the same thing? Isn't power just... power, and you are left to your own limits and abilities to control it, lest it controls you? Good and evil, even when given a blanket definition of any kind, or still very complicated things, especially as power escalates. For example (just a general example, not neccesarily 100% historically accurate), it is good to fight the Nazi's because they are trying to take over the world and they were killing minorities, but perhaps that Nazi soldier you gunned down was really a young father looking for work to raise his kids during the depression (and yes, I know Germany was not hit hard by the depression). Sometimes good is pretty absolutely and unquestionable (i.e. curing AIDS), but sometimes good is really evil in disguise (i.e. protesting genetically engineered crops that could save millions or even billions of lives, and even saving those lives would lead to more hunger as the population grows, ect, more harm done).

Power is power, it can do good and bad, soemtimes both at the same time. It's hard to find something to use power for that falls into any absolute (i.e. war may be evil, but it also can kick-start suffering economies and provide jobs to starving people, such as WW2, once again).

Branded with Satan Array murkrow's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

There's no good and evil.

Those with the power to do will do as they will.

Only "God" could define morality, and even in that case the choices would be obedience or rebellion and not good or evil.

If we're accepting a "God" or other form of moral objectivity then I would say the power to do evil is greater, as it is the only force of creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How are we defining "evil"?
    And how do we define "good"?
    I think the more important question is how we're defining "power".

If it's the possession of the qualities required to do something, I don't think you can separate that into possession of qualities required to do good things vs. possession of qualities required to do evil things. Morality refers to conduct itself, not the potential for it. The fact is that the same qualities that are required to do good can contribute to evil.
    I don't wanna!

Do you mean 'greater' in the sense of 'puissance' or 'morally better'?

Also, the use of 'power' in this context is not clear to me. Whether or not the power to do evil or good is greater or lesser depends on the disposition of the individual. In some the power to do evil is greater, in others it's vice versa.

MBTI
    INFP

I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Honestly, I didn't post to play teacher or educate people or impose my morality or concepts on others. I posted because I would like to see what others think about these concepts and ideas because I think it can generate meaningful discussion, if appropriate.

Thus, I specifically left subjective, hard-to-define terms such as "good," "bad," and "power" open to interpretation. If you confine the terms, you confine the possibilities. That is not condusive to discussion because everyone has a different opinion on what these terms mean.

However, I am interested in what you think, and I thank those people who have shared so far. I'm curious to see what the rest of you think!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INXP

The power to do good is greater than the power to do evil because a good leader can convert his/her people from being ruled by fear and greed.

Compassion is the difficult route with the goal for long-term happiness and peace in mind.

"If might is right, then love has no place in the world. It may be so, it may be so. But I don't have the strength to live in a world like that."
    --Robert Bolt - The Mission.
    Pacifism and just war in The Mission

Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    INFP

Evil is born out of weakness.. a lack of self-control.. there is no power, only the absence of true power.

To do good when you are facing your own potential to do evil is to overcome that weakness.. that is power.

I like this topic, but I don't really know where to begin with my thoughts.

Branded with Satan Array murkrow's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

WTF is good and WTF is evil?
    wails from the crypt.