First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    I didn't think they were that expensive Clearly a lot less expensive than a car or whatever. Meaning, basically anybody who has a car too - which is basically anyone in the US right - can afford such clothes.

But alright call me a yuppie too if you want And no, I'm not one of them. You'd have a really hard time correctly categorizing me.

OK, my real point is, I'm not into making assumptions without actual experience with the specific person. Perhaps because I'm so atypical myself.

Guess our opinions on what "fairly accurate" means differ
    A quarter of my town are in poverty. The median family income is $31K/year. Half of the kids in the public schools in the county are on free/reduced lunch. The temps are very cold right now and a lot of the roads are covered in ice. Only the very hardcore fitness people or the very poor are riding bicycles right now. If you are trying to choose whether to pay your water bill or buy food for your kids, spandex is expensive.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    A quarter of my town are in poverty. The median family income is $31K/year. Half of the kids in the public schools in the county are on free/reduced lunch. The temps are very cold right now and a lot of the roads are covered in ice. Only the very hardcore fitness people or the very poor are riding bicycles right now. If you are trying to choose whether to pay your water bill or buy food for your kids, spandex is expensive.
    I thought only my country had people complaining about paying bills in this fashion. Even over there in the great USA, they do that?

And of course people in my country still seem to have the money for expensive cars, gadgets, whatnot. Just not for the bills, apparently.

My point is still this, you can't decide motivation by looking at clothing.

But at least you changed from "yuppie" to "very hardcore fitness people" :p

MBTI
    yupp

I thought only my country had people complaining about paying bills in this fashion. Even over there in the great USA, they do that?

And of course people in my country still seem to have the money for expensive cars, gadgets, whatnot. Just not for the bills, apparently.

omg the U.S is falling from grace, it has been since 2000, the U.S is fucked in the ass or will be in the next 50 years max.

and I agree you can't base judgements on clothing. I'm not poor I can survive on the money I have, but I wear hoodies and jeans and my shoes have holes in the soles. mostly because I don't have a car and going shoe shopping? fuck that. though my mom is coming down end of febuary and I need new pants and shoes and bras so she'll have a car and we can go shopping, even though I despise shopping.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Well, I honestly don't know many poor hardcore fitness people. Those people are usually closer to middle class and better. We have, for the first time in history, I think, a group of people in my country who has lost years of life expectancy: white women who are not high school graduates. They have lost five years of life expectancy. They are often stressed out, overworked, and have little access to healthcare. Working out is not even on the radar for them because their life is one crisis after another. Maybe the poor people you know and love are different from the ones I do.

You can't usually tell motivations, but you can tell a decent amount about someone's circumstances. Not 100% accuracy, but probably better than fifty percent. Some people don't fit well into their boxes, but a lot of us, really do, no matter how much we want to believe ourselves special snowflakes.

If you live in an area with poor public transportation, having a reliable motor vehicle can be a necessity. If you don't have internet access at your home, having a phone with that capacity is pretty important. The upfront cost of a prepaid smartphone can be a lot less than buying a computer and getting internet access in your home. In my area, if you don't have a car and a phone, you're going to have a very hard time finding anyone willing to employ you, even for a $8/hr job.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    omg the U.S is falling from grace, it has been since 2000, the U.S is fucked in the ass or will be in the next 50 years max.
    It's actually sad :/

and I agree you can't base judgements on clothing. I'm not poor I can survive on the money I have, but I wear hoodies and jeans and my shoes have holes in the soles. mostly because I don't have a car and going shoe shopping? fuck that. though my mom is coming down end of febuary and I need new pants and shoes and bras so she'll have a car and we can go shopping, even though I despise shopping.
    Haha I wish you luck to survive the ordeal

Well, I honestly don't know many poor hardcore fitness people. Those people are usually closer to middle class and better. We have, for the first time in history, I think, a group of people in my country who has lost years of life expectancy: white women who are not high school graduates. They have lost five years of life expectancy. They are often stressed out, overworked, and have little access to healthcare. Working out is not even on the radar for them because their life is one crisis after another. Maybe the poor people you know and love are different from the ones I do.
    I didn't say that someone who works out regularly using a bicycle would be a very poor person, no, I just don't think it has to be in the "yuppie" category.

You can't usually tell motivations, but you can tell a decent amount about someone's circumstances. Not 100% accuracy, but probably better than fifty percent. Some people don't fit well into their boxes, but a lot of us, really do, no matter how much we want to believe ourselves special snowflakes.
    That's fine I just don't view 51% accuracy as very fair I prefer to first learn about the actuality, not guessing. It's just how I go about this. But I originally responded to your post not because of that difference in thinking but because I hate pigeonholing.

If you live in an area with poor public transportation, having a reliable motor vehicle can be a necessity. If you don't have internet access at your home, having a phone with that capacity is pretty important. The upfront cost of a prepaid smartphone can be a lot less than buying a computer and getting internet access in your home. In my area, if you don't have a car and a phone, you're going to have a very hard time finding anyone willing to employ you, even for a $8/hr job.
    Well here people who complain about the bills have access to public transportation but some of them do go by car because it's more comfortable... not a necessity. This one thing may be different in your area.

As for the computer and internet access, an older computer (basically can be had for free) & free wifi works for the people I know who are actually poor :/

And I would think a computer even if old, is a lot better for proper internet access than a smartphone with a little sucky display and a more limited browser.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I didn't say that someone who works out regularly using a bicycle would be a very poor person, no, I just don't think it has to be in the "yuppie" category.
    I probably define yuppie more broadly than you do. Sheep don't look the same to other sheep, perhaps?

That's fine I just don't view 51% accuracy as very fair I prefer to first learn about the actuality, not guessing. It's just how I go about this. But I originally responded to your post not because of that difference in thinking but because I hate pigeonholing.
    Yeah, a lot of people do, especially if they believe it is being applied to them. I make initial assumptions but I am generally open to specifics when presented with individuals. I'm pragmatic, though, and it's not like my assumptions about people matter most of the time anyway. I am classist, but it's not like I'm going to run over someone just because I think they are a yuppie.

Well here people who complain about the bills have access to public transportation but some of them do go by car because it's more comfortable... not a necessity. This one thing may be different in your area.
    It can take a couple of hours to get anywhere in my town by bus. It's -16 degrees celsius here right now. That's unusually cold, but it's not crazy uncommon in the winter. It's $1.75 each way for anyone over five years old unless you buy a bus pass. A bus pass is $45/month/person. They don't run before 6AM, after 11PM or at all on Sunday. Gas is $3/gallon. You can get older used cars on payments. It's usually a rip-off, but they used to charge as low as a couple hundred dollars a month, back when we were poor.

As for the computer and internet access, an older computer & free wifi works for the people I know who are actually poor :/

And I would think a computer even if old, is a lot better for proper internet access than a smartphone with a little sucky display and a more limited browser.
    But you can get a smart phone for under $100, including the first month's service and you can use it anywhere. It is also a multi-purpose device. Can be used for calling and texting as well. Even an old laptop from a pawn shop is going to cost more than that initially (I think) and you are going to have to drive someplace to get free wi-fi. We've only got one public library still open in town and everyplace else is going to expect you to buy something to use the wi-fi. Plus, what are your kids doing while you're using the wi-fi someplace public?
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

I probably define yuppie more broadly than you do. Sheep don't look the same to other sheep, perhaps?
    I just go by the dictionary definition. My native language is not English though.

Yeah, a lot of people do, especially if they believe it is being applied to them. I make initial assumptions but I am generally open to specifics when presented with individuals. I'm pragmatic, though, and it's not like my assumptions about people matter most of the time anyway. I am classist, but it's not like I'm going to run over someone just because I think they are a yuppie.
    Lol fair enough.

It can take a couple of hours to get anywhere in my town by bus. It's -16 degrees celsius here right now. That's unusually cold, but it's not crazy uncommon in the winter. It's $1.75 each way for anyone over five years old unless you buy a bus pass. A bus pass is $45/month/person. They don't run before 6AM, after 11PM or at all on Sunday. Gas is $3/gallon. You can get older used cars on payments. It's usually a rip-off, but they used to charge as low as a couple hundred dollars a month, back when we were poor.
    Wow, that's cold. That kind of temperature happens maybe for 1-2 days for us in winter and only in the evening/at night/dawn. Your bus pass seems cheap. So is the gas price

Why do poor people do monthly payments though... rhetorical question; yep it's a rip-off. More than a set of spandex clothing ...Am not saying that someone who's really poor should instead buy sports clothes. See below for more.

But you can get a smart phone for under $100, including the first month's service and you can use it anywhere. It is also a multi-purpose device. Can be used for calling and texting as well. Even an old laptop from a pawn shop is going to cost more than that initially (I think) and you are going to have to drive someplace to get free wi-fi. We've only got one public library still open in town and everyplace else is going to expect you to buy something to use the wi-fi. Plus, what are your kids doing while you're using the wi-fi someplace public?
    Sure you can use it anywhere but I thought we were talking about the poor for who comfort is a secondary concern. I know a guy who *IS* poor. He uses an old computer, didn't buy it from a pawn shop, that's a rip-off, they can be had virtually free if you look hard enough & he steals wifi off neighbours. He sometimes asks for a bit of a loan. It's all terrible yeah... Anyway my point here was just that I don't think a smartphone is more essential than spandex clothing And I guess if someone doesn't have money for both, only one of these, they will have to prioritize. And then get put in the wrong category perhaps :P (Not necessarily by sports clothing, that's just an example.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I just go by the dictionary definition. My native language is not English though.

Lol fair enough.

Wow, that's cold. That kind of temperature happens maybe for 1-2 days for us in winter and only in the evening/at night/dawn. Your bus pass seems cheap. So is the gas price

Why do poor people do monthly payments though... rhetorical question; yep it's a rip-off. More than a set of spandex clothing ...Am not saying that someone who's really poor should instead buy sports clothes. See below for more.

Sure you can use it anywhere but I thought we were talking about the poor for who comfort is a secondary concern. I know a guy who *IS* poor. He uses an old computer, didn't buy it from a pawn shop, that's a rip-off, they can be had virtually free if you look hard enough & he steals wifi off neighbours. He sometimes asks for a bit of a loan. It's all terrible yeah... Anyway my point here was just that I don't think a smartphone is more essential than spandex clothing And I guess if someone doesn't have money for both, only one of these, they will have to prioritize. And then get put in the wrong category perhaps :P (Not necessarily by sports clothing, that's just an example.)
    Who doesn't password protect their home wi-fi?
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Who doesn't password protect their home wi-fi?
    Some people don't do it here; I don't know how exactly he gets the internet, either unprotected or he cracked it.

No thoughts on my main point?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Some people don't do it here; I don't know how exactly he gets the internet, either unprotected or he cracked it.

No thoughts on my main point?
    Nah. Not right now. I have a bunch of stuff to cook and we'd really have to get into a lot of details about access to stuff and how much stuff costs in respective places. I have been poor in my area and you have not, so even though it's anecdotal evidence on my part, your stuff isn't super-relevent for me. And really, my opinions and judgements don't matter to you in any material way. So I'm going to do my annoying domestic stuff and listen to John Green explain the New Deal on youtube.
    ~ John Rogers