User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Its the human condition. I'd get used to it.
    I hate when people say this. I wasn't upset nor not used to it. I was just curious to see if my inklings had any validity
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    life?

I mean obviously it's true now, but maybe it wasn't before like I wonder if we're conditioned to only judge based on appearances? and those appearances have to fall within a certain spectrum and if they don't you're screwed. I'm gonna just become a hermit and not talk to anyone.
    I think we've got some level of xenophobia hardwired in as well as an innate aversion to physical abnormalities. It was probably functional when it developed. Not as much now, but it takes time for that stuff to fade out.

In the meantime, looking like people expect you to look as much as lies within your power is a relatively low-effort way to get points in social whatever. My dad once told me he could get away with a lot more stuff when he was in the Marines, if he just followed all the rules about how he was supposed to look, which wasn't actually that hard. It's like camouflage, so I use it to my advantage when I can and something is worth the effort.

It's shallow, but really, when someone first meets you, all they have to go on is what you look like, so that's what they are going to make judgements about.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I think we've got some level of xenophobia hardwired in as well as an innate aversion to physical abnormalities. It was probably functional when it developed. Not as much now, but it takes time for that stuff to fade out.

In the meantime, looking like people expect you to look as much as lies within your power is a relatively low-effort way to get points in social whatever. My dad once told me he could get away with a lot more stuff when he was in the Marines, if he just followed all the rules about how he was supposed to look, which wasn't actually that hard. It's like camouflage, so I use it to my advantage when I can and something is worth the effort.

It's shallow, but really, when someone first meets you, all they have to go on is what you look like, so that's what they are going to make judgements about.
    this is true, i guess. Because now that i think about it when I see a girl in a slutty outfit wearing heals I think "I'm going to hate her"
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    this is true, i guess. Because now that i think about it when I see a girl in a slutty outfit wearing heals I think "I'm going to hate her"
    Yeah. We all probably do it to some degree. Like, I see someone riding a bike down the road. If they are wearing a helmet and spandex, I think they are some kind of yuppy. If I see a youngish person in black pants and black tennis shoes, I think it's someone who can't afford a car on their way to work. If I see an older guy looking a bit unkempt, I think it's someone who got enough DUIs to get his license pulled.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Unfortunately it's true and the media aren't helping...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The way people look and dress tells you a shitload abt them.

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Yeah. We all probably do it to some degree. Like, I see someone riding a bike down the road. If they are wearing a helmet and spandex, I think they are some kind of yuppy.
    Or just doing their workout.

If I see a youngish person in black pants and black tennis shoes, I think it's someone who can't afford a car on their way to work. If I see an older guy looking a bit unkempt, I think it's someone who got enough DUIs to get his license pulled.
    Lol sometimes I get really surprised at these quick judgements... usually at their inaccuracy :P

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    Or just doing their workout.
    Right, but who works out and who can afford to have special, fairly expensive clothes for just one purpose?
    Quote Originally Posted by valaki View Post
    Lol sometimes I get really surprised at these quick judgements... usually at their inaccuracy :P
    Maybe it depends where you live. I know people in both situations and it's fairly accurate for my area: an economically depressed midsized city in the midwestern united states.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    SeNi
    Enneagram
    8+7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SeTi

Right, but who works out and who can afford to have special, fairly expensive clothes for just one purpose?
    I didn't think they were that expensive Clearly a lot less expensive than a car or whatever. Meaning, basically anybody who has a car too - which is basically anyone in the US right - can afford such clothes.

But alright call me a yuppie too if you want And no, I'm not one of them. You'd have a really hard time correctly categorizing me.

OK, my real point is, I'm not into making assumptions without actual experience with the specific person. Perhaps because I'm so atypical myself.

Maybe it depends where you live. I know people in both situations and it's fairly accurate for my area: an economically depressed midsized city in the midwestern united states.
    Guess our opinions on what "fairly accurate" means differ

Why not dress for the situation?