User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default I wonder if being smart can sometimes hurts you in the real world

I wonder this because I meet people who are extremely stupid like they don't get simple concepts, they just go along blindly with society yet they're able to get jobs and hold them. yet I'm sitting here going, how you don't know that an exclamation point is a punctuation mark, and someone explaining it to you five times and you're still not getting it, how are you making it in life? is it because they don't question society. and so they don't know society's answers so that can't be like that makes no sense, I'm not doing that. because they're all like hmm someone told me this, it must be true! so is being successful at jobs have more to do with how well you follow directions and not questioning how the company runs things? so basically to be succesful in life you have to be dumb and not question things?

so basically the government wants us to bend to their will and not rebel. the media puts shit out there and spins things on how they want society to think and i think they're probably working with the government so it's a way to control us. so we need to question everything, because if we don't things might go worst
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

WALMART

not explicitly in itself, no

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Past a certain point, being smart isn't materially helpful from what I've seen. Or maybe it depends on the type of intelligence. If you're good at certain kinds of social strategy, then it could be helpful.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

All the smarts in the world can't help you if you don't know how to deal with people.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    All the smarts in the world can't help you if you don't know how to deal with people.
    so success is measured by social skills? and not intelligence/how well you can actually do the job?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If you are an absolute rock star at what you do and what you do is in high demand, you can sometimes get by on intelligence and competence alone. But it leaves you vulnerable.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

I want to think I can get better socially, but i've been trying for years and so much of it still doesn't make sense and I often say the wrong thing at the wrong time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

The Iron Giant

I think being smart makes you better off. Critical thinking skills can help you most of all. You get to view politicians with the understanding that their message is being condensed into sound bytes for the public while they juggle policy between the loudest and wealthiest special interests groups in an effort to stay in office long enough to promote other policy they actually believe in. You get to view the news media as a cutthroat business with very low profits that can't afford real reporters anymore and instead relies on regurgitating official statements (press releases) and either obsesses over the appearance of neutrality (so provides no analysis of these statements) or goes far over the deep end into partisanship despite being fully aware that they're reporting lies. You get to view the advertising media as a soulless machine that will stop at nothing to sell a product and knows full well that the best way to sell a product to people is by convincing them that they are broken without it. You get to know that religion is the means by which those who want your resources stir pathos in an effort to get you to give those resources to them.

Knowing all this, in my opinion, is much more helpful than it is hurtful.

WhoCares

From what I have seen of the corporate world (a great deal) it kind of goes like this.

Cogs in the machine - you arent really hired for your competency since the competency set for most jobs is quite low. You are hired because you are a team player...aka, you will fit in, sit at a desk and allow the existing machine to run as per the status quo. In return you will receive a salary for shuffling papers and attemding meetings in which you concur with whatever opinion your boss is holding. Of you are good at this and people like you, you will receive periodic promotions and given little projects to make you feel important. But that has a ceiling, its limited to those positions not requiring great skill.

Executives - there is a competency level required here as you will be responsible for meeting targets. But you will never get to this level by being a loose canon, you still have to know how to play the political game (and there always is one). As an executive not only do you need to be successful at creating outcomes but you also have to be successful at holding the right balance of power in the environment and having the right support.

Thats just how it is. Its relatively easy to be a cog in the machine and make a decent living and this requires the least level of people skills too. You dont need high level manipulation and charisma to operate at this level, just basic Fe so no-one actively hates you. Without that though, you really are screwed no matter what you do.

I struggle because while I have basic Fe that allows me to be a cog in the machine I find it difficult not to get frustrated about the kind of things you are seeing. It requires me to constantly 'not look' at certain aspects so I can be less bothered by them. Ultimately I want to freelance and create my own job, so the 'not looking' part isnt such an effort and a drain on me. Its taken me 5yrs just to get to the point of acceptance where I am no longer railing and wanting to get revolutionary on people's arses and stop trying to change things for the better. That by the way, if you are not highly charismatic and skilled at managing your superiors, is a surefire way to get managed out of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    If you are an absolute rock star at what you do and what you do is in high demand, you can sometimes get by on intelligence and competence alone. But it leaves you vulnerable.
    My dad used to bandy this about in his old workplace - you need to be competent or well-liked to keep your job.