User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I rely on my sensory experiences and the supernatural just is not on my radar

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief? What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)
    I was raised in the Christian church... mostly rural protestant growing up (various denominations) and being kind of a weird blend of non-denom/evangelical/pentecostal as an adult. I always questioned things in the process of trying to better understand it; however, once i got outside of the area I grew up in and had access to other viewpoints and information (especially when the Internet took off), I started really looking at other religious beliefs rather than just from an "apologetics" view -- and interacting with people from other value systems and beliefs -- and then my particular understanding of the world started to change drastically.

I remember having a number of existential collapses, cycling throughout my 20's, and then probably around age 30, I realized that there was no "proof" my old values were correct. it was simply a matter of belief, not proof. But at that point, I started to see that other views seemed more to better explain the state of the world and my life experience. I finally stopped participating in Christian church in my mid/late 30's and haven't really wanted to go back, aside from a periodic urge to cling to an old security blanket.

I'm still "christianized" in terms of language and symbolism (it's kind of like you will typically always frame things using your native tongue / race / gender / etc), but my worldview is more agnostic and humanistic, with some amount of absurdity. I just don't think we ever ultimately "know" things, there is always fudge factoring going on and with new data comes new understanding; in the end, we provide our own sense to our life experience and determine what our lives will end up meaning, to what degree we can.

In all honesty what do you think were the main factors in that process?
    Exposure to new data and other worldviews; life experience; curiosity; acceptance of ambiguity in life versus trying to make it all "make sense" somehow.

If you believe what would it take for you to lose that belief?
    new data that expands/changes my understanding.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

across the universe Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief?
    I didn't switch, gain or lose it. My parents aren't religious and they didn't raise me as religious.

What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)
    None.

There was no process.

If you believe what would it take for you to lose that belief?
    If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief?
    Evidence.

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, I chose to remain muslim.

Because I understand physics bery well, and I'm impressed with the holy quran. All what I find right and justice are Islam's princples, I'm even way less kind though

Maybe it sounds simple or.. But I have a strong intuit, not that I'm some genius or I have super powers, just different. I am very good at certain things like knowing what makes sense, although I have a noticeable lacking at expressing my thoughts

I'm thankful that I could understand the message my creator sent me, that explains this universe and life, that it's a test I can easily pass, who are my enemies, who are my leaders, and most importantly he had acknowledged himself.

That's the only reason I don't have a mental disorder. Because I'm freaking insane if only I hadn't known There's someone who understands me and takes care of me in this life, where no one abslutly can see all those things I can never talk about, no words fit for them, I'd had given up, because I was going to be alone then.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I'm becoming some sort of ethical hedonist or something. I'm definitely a humanist, physicalist, empiricist. So many ists.
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief? Abandoned entirely. I didn't replace it with another faith. I don't want anything to do with any faith, religion, belief or spirituality.

What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a) Roman Catholicism

In all honesty what do you think were the main factors in that process? At first the irrational, illogical dogma, the blind faith and lack of evidence. Later on all of those plus every known atrocity committed from the 1st century to the present. The list is incredible and I have no idea how, knowing that, anyone could remain part of it.

If you believe what would it take for you to lose that belief? I don't believe so I can't lose anything.

If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief? I don't believe so I can't gain anything.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sp

Was never religious to begin with. I went to church from 5 to 13 but slept or played my Gameboy.

mein, memeself, and MeMe meme duchess's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief?
    A: I lost.

What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)
    A: I started off being a Roman Catholic and switched to Atheism to Agnosticism.

A: My parents raised my sisters and I to be Roman Catholics. I stayed that way because of fear of my future. I was scared of the afterlife and it was a constant battle between right and wrong. I felt like if I did anything that went against what was wanted of me, I'd "go to Hell". I went through some shitty stuff which led me to completely stop believing in the possibility of a God and had this sort of really bad superiority complex to anyone who was religious. I thought that it was weak to put your faith into something - someone that may or may not exist - at least, more than yourself or the people around you. Obviously, that just made me an asshole but I think that once I actually got over the whole black and white mentality, I was able to use that to then fully find the idea of any deity above extremely improbable but I was also able to respect the possibility of there being a higher power as well as the people who believed in that. And still do.

If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief?
    A: Unless there's tangible proof, I don't think I can believe.

*only interacts with other memes such as (me x2)-self (two negatives = a positive) who regularly use the font comic sans unironically*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I switched religion after being raised Roman Catholic. I cannot point to any discrete indentifiable factors other than my own inquisitiveness and need for the world to make sense. It was indeed a process, with each step leading to the next, like the clues in a scavenger hunt.

As a child, I disliked church but was made to attend. I questioned things from the age of six, to the point where I was allowed to receive first communion a year early. The more I was allowed to do and the more I learned, however, the less it all made sense. It was like the layers of an onion each being peeled away one after another. First the poor quality of music and liturgy in the church; then the limitations on women, and antiquated policies on gays, marriage, and reproduction. Then, having been exposed to Protestant denominations where these issues weren't present, I realized I just didn't believe in the underlying theology.

I went through a time then when I wondered if I believed in anything. It felt very barren. Everyone around me was celebrating this and that at the various holidays, and I could not in good conscience enjoy of any of it. The sole belief I did retain was in the idea of deity itself, that there is something in this universe beyond physical reality, and that we can somehow connect with it. I was inspired in this by scientists of old, people like Newton and Galileo who sprinkled references to God throughout their writings. They saw their study of the natural world as the study of creation, a view I still hold as a scientist myself.

The next step of the process was meeting some Bahai's. I attended discussion groups with them for several years, and still count some as good friends. I learned this was not the religion for me, but it was an important step in getting me to look beyond Christian denominations.

The next step was running across a series of books, each leading to the next, answering questions and posing new ones. Books like Ute Ranke-Heinemann's Putting away childish things, Riane Eisler's The chalice and the blade, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, and finally Margot Adler's Drawing down the moon. As I read, I continued to work out my basic beliefs, until after finishing Adler's book I knew enough to think, "Good grief - I guess I'm a Pagan". I was quite surprised myself. But with the emphasis on the natural world, on the realistically multifaceted interpretation of deity, on individual responsibility for spirituality and for one's actions -- I saw it was the best embodiment of my own beliefs, and the only spiritual path I could walk without feeling like a hypocrite.

I realize that the way I see God now is simply the way I see God. Is God really that way? I don't know, but then no one else does, either. Perhaps there isn't a God, and what I sense beyond the natural world will be revealed to somehow be a part of it, or to be something entirely un-deific altogether. My spirituality is thus simply the best and most useful way I have found to relate to the possibility that there is something greater out there after all.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I developed critical faculties.