User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Almost all of us learn our religion in a trance as small children.

And religion is a brilliant trance because it is self validating.

A self validating trance is called a trance loop. And as we try to escape the trance in one direction, we are drawn back in another.

Probably the most important thing to realise is that a trance loop cannot be broken by reason.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Almost all of us learn our religion in a trance as small children.

And religion is a brilliant trance because it is self validating.

A self validating trance is called a trance loop. And as we try to escape the trance in one direction, we are drawn back in another.

Probably the most important thing to realise is that a trance loop cannot be broken by reason.
    Hmm..like soldier in trance. See :47 through 1:00
    Warning: Graphic
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Did you switch / lose / or gain religious belief?

I gave up religious faith, and the nature of my lack of faith has shifted since.

What were the involved religions (for example switching from a to b or losing a)

My parents were both brought up Lutheran, and that's how I was introduced to Christianity, although one was more strict and dogmatic, while the other was more individualistic and progressive. I grew up taking their religious convictions for granted and trying to order my world around what I saw as the implications of those beliefs.

In all honesty what do you think were the main factors in that process?

When I was about 16 I started rationally questioning the existence of "God" for the first time, and the whole thing fell apart for me. The more I thought about it, the more I thought the universe around me would probably look the same without a personal interventionist god, and without positive evidence, there wasn't much point asserting one's existence.

I was also aware that a lot of the religious people around me had big "finding God" moments in their lives, and I just had going along with what I'd been told. I think this growing realisation was the first thing that made me feel out of place as a Christian and made me start questioning.

Most importantly, I found that my moral code would still function the same way on a secular basis. Every principle I thought was right was right for a good reason, and I didn't need or want an external authority clearing things up for me. So my moral rules didn't change at all. One example was that I thought swearing was crude and should be avoided at all costs, and I didn't start swearing until I was almost 18 and realised that as a general rule it didn't hurt anybody and often served a lot of utility. It took me going through a particularly awful experience to actually swear for the first time, though, finding it the only thing that expressed how I felt.

If you don't believe what would it take for you to gain belief?

Strong reasoning, explanatory value, that kind of thing. The necessary irrationality of faith irks me. I don't like the idea of turning off the critical faculties and accepting. If something is true, I should be able to find a rational, intellectual reason to believe it.
    Rational idealist. Ethical hedonist. Secular humanist. Libertarian centrist. Lawful neutral. Melancholic. Medicated Bipolar I. Cat person. Kuudere. Dark magical girl. Slytherin. Alcoholic milkshake enthusiast.
    Johari | Nohari

The dream to awaken our world.
    Likes Hawthorne liked this post

Ah at first I thought this thread is going to be about weight... it felt weird it was in spirtuality subforum....

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I decided to practice the Jedi religion because I saw the Star Wars re-release in 1997 when I was in fifth grade and I thought it was awesome.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISFp Fi

I grew up Christian, though not very willingly. I just did what my parents wanted, and had no reason to go against it.
    By the age of... was it nine? That's when I started questioning the existence of God. But I was scared at the thought of not believing in God because I was fearful of Hell, and so I kept convincing myself I was still a Christian even though it didn't feel right. Two years later I became completely Atheist, and now I am just indifferent to religion. I live without the existence of unverified beliefs. It should be obvious what would change my mind, as for most people like me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Winds of Thor View Post
    Hmm..like soldier in trance. See :47 through 1:00
    Warning: Graphic
    Why did I watch that.

Quote Originally Posted by Evee View Post
    Why did I watch that.
    Probably because of your signature

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

My idea of religion just kind of lazily moves through me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Probably because of your signature
    Hah.

No but seriously that scene makes me so mad. It's unacceptable.