MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I condescend. I stoop to conquer.

I put you in your place.

Any cliche will do.
    America already attempted to put me in my place, and I've found purchase in it. There are a lot of us. Like I said, if I wanted to know about Australia, I'd ask an Aborigine. And I imagine his feeling on his country would be similar to mine, I love where I live, but it hasn't always treated me well.

garbage

Americans, what with their big fat American burgers and guns and diabetus and borderline xenophobic national pride

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

The problem you are ignoring is that there are many different ways to be an American. Without actually experiencing a country you have no way of picking up on the cultural differences from region to region. With a country as large as America, there are many of them. The culture in the Pacific Northwest is completely different than Southern CA, which is so far from that of the South, or the MidWest, or the New England Area. In so many ways they are practically different countries.

The culture you pick up from media, regardless of the extent of your prestigious research or whatever it is you've been going on about, only scratches the surface of the different cultures here.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    The problem you are ignoring is that there are many different ways to be an American. Without actually experiencing a country you have no way of picking up on the cultural differences from region to region. With a country as large as America, there are many of them. The culture in the Pacific Northwest is completely different than Southern CA, which is so far from that of the South, or the MidWest, or the New England Area. In so many ways they are practically different countries.

The culture you pick up from media, regardless of the extent of your prestigious research or whatever it is you've been going on about, only scratches the surface of the different cultures here.
    Of course, how could I possibly tell you how to be an American? It's absurd.

The above title How to be an American is absurd.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post

yes, I was obsessed with slavery and personal experiences of being a slave, but I could never tell anyone what it's like to be a slave, because I have never been enslaved
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    yes, I was obsessed with slavery and personal experiences of being a slave, but I could never tell anyone what it's like to be a slave, because I have never been enslaved
    If that were true, we would have no novels, for novelists imagine what it is to be like someone they have never been.

So we can imagine what it is like to be an American as so many novelists have already done.

Or you can be an American and watch Downton Abbey and imagine what it is like to be condescending.

WhoCares

Luckily you don't know the depth of our Intelligence.
    I do. Australian intelligence is an oxymoron. Someone's been drinking the kool aid...

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Of course, how could I possibly tell you how to be an American? It's absurd.

The above title How to be an American is absurd.
    Hey... That's my point. You can't steal it.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    Then this shows your misunderstanding of the Japanese. That's Japanese-english for No chance in hell.
    C'mon, I held the Japan Desk for the Australian Government for three years. And I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with Japanese nationals in Australia.

And of course we precisely understood each other. He knew I was putting him on, and I knew he made a witty but polite Japanese reply.