User Tag List

First 23456 Last

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Mole I wish I could help you. : /

Default Quelle Horreur!

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    don't pretend to know how to be american, when you've likely never even been here. I don't pretend to know how to be australian. so stop telling us how to be part of a culture you don't actually know about.
    We are inundated with American culture, we are flooded with Americana, on top of that we have three treaties with you: a military treaty, a land treaty and a free trade treaty, on top of that we collect and share intelligence at the very highest level, our military officers are seconded to the Pentagon. You are our very best friend.

In fact we have been studying you for yonks, we know you so well, we know what you are going to say before you say it.

We track American trends before they happen. We spy on American phone calls and internet data. We listen on in in real time.

And we know something even Americans don't know: we know you objectively, from the outside, dispassionately, from a very long way away, in a different culture. Something Americans can never know. And here you are, face-to-face, on the internet with someone who knows you better than your own mother. Quelle horreur!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We are inundated with American culture, we are flooded with Americana, on top of that we have three treaties with you: a military treaty, a land treaty and a free trade treaty, on top of that we collect and share intelligence at the very highest level, our military officers are seconded to the Pentagon. You are our very best friend.

In fact we have been studying you for yonks, we know you so well, we know what you are going to say before you say it.

We track American trends before they happen. We spy on American phone calls and internet data. We listen on in in real time.

And we know something even Americans don't know: we know you objectively, from the outside, dispassionately, from a very long way away, in a different culture. Something Americans can never know. And here you are, face-to-face, on the internet with someone who knows you better than your own mother. Quelle horreur!
    You just know whatever opinions you form from American media, you're just as much a victim to it as those you feel like you're preaching to.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    You just know whatever opinions you form from American media, you're just as much a victim to it as those you feel like you're preaching to.
    Luckily you don't know the depth of our Intelligence.

Our Intelligence includes the American media but goes far beyond it.

In fact we know more about America than most Americans.

If ever the hard disk that is America fails, you always have a back-up in Oz. We could reconstitute you from zero. And we always keep a spare copy of your operating system, just in case.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Luckily you don't know the depth of our Intelligence.

Our Intelligence includes the American media but goes far beyond it.

In fact we know more about America than most Americans.

If ever the hard disk that is America fails, you always have a back-up in Oz. We could reconstitute you from zero. And we always keep a spare copy of your operating system, just in case.
    Oh, you're so freaking smug. If I wanted to know anything about Australians, I sure as heck wouldn't ask you. I'd ask an Aborigine, I wonder what they would say?

I know more about my own damn country than you'll ever even have an inkling of, standing on another continent and throwing pebbles. That's because I live here and I'm aware.

Oh, you're so freaking smug. If I wanted to know anything about Australians, I sure as heck wouldn't ask you. I'd ask an Aborigine, I wonder what they would say?

I know more about my own damn country than you'll ever even have an inkling of, standing on another continent and throwing pebbles. That's because I live here and I'm aware.
    Good heavens, Quilpy, you are a subjective American. You experience America subjectively. You don't, can't and shouldn't experience America objectively, that is best left to Mole.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Good heavens, Quilpy, you are a subjective American. You experience America subjectively. You don't, can't and shouldn't experience America objectively, that is best left to Mole.
    Dude. this is proof that you have no idea what you are talking about, and you have no inclination to actually listen to other people. I am American, I was born here. I also have always been separate from mainstream culture and have lived in a number of different places and met many different types of Americans. I'm sorry Mole, you only think you know more than you do.

I've had conversations with plenty of Australians. And the common thread in our conversations is that they grew up hating the idea of Americans, and they come here and have to revisit their preconceptions after spending time. It is clear to me that you are a subjective Australian.

this is proof that you have no idea what you are talking about
    You have found me out.

I told a Japanese student I wanted to be Japanese even though I had no Japanese mother, I wasn't born in Japan, I have never been to Japan, I didn't speak a word of Japanese, I knew nothing of Japanese culture or history, but I longed to be Japanese.

And without missing a beat he said, You are very ambitious.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I told a Japanese student I wanted to be Japanese even though I had no Japanese mother, I wasn't born in Japan, I have never been to Japan, I didn't speak a word of Japanese, I knew nothing of Japanese culture or history, but I longed to be Japanese.

And without missing a beat he said, You are very ambitious.
    To clarify, I don't think there's plenty to criticize about America and especially about what we export, but it's on the automatic assumption that you know more about it. It's condescending.

And I have always been keenly interested in Japan. I know enough about it to learn that only the Japanese can ever actually be Japanese. Even those raised and educated there, if they don't have the right look about them. This doesn't mean that they can't live pleasant lives, but only that they'll never truly belong.

This is true in America in some places, and untrue in others. Our country is not nearly as homogenous.