• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is there a certain type that is attracted to religion and serving religious causes?

What types favor religion? Are there some that get really religious?

• Total voters

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are there certain types that favor religion more than others (MBTI, Enneagram, Instinctual Subtype)? I think age is a factor as well. How does that factor in?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are there certain types that favor religion more than others (MBTI, Enneagram, Instinctual Subtype)? I think age is a factor as well. How does that factor in?

religion or spirituality? my knee-jerk response is that SJs would favor religion while NFs would favor spirituality. also, e1 may like religion while e9 would be drawn to spirituality. so/sp: religion, sx/sp: spirituality.

Little_Sticks

I don't know. But I met someone who is a declared atheist. After talking with him about metaphysics, I quickly realized that he would discard certain aspects of religious faith and metaphysics in favor of his logical arguments against there being a God. I tried to talk with him about different kinds of aspects to faith and some cross-over physics theories that present real paradoxes in understanding what is real, but he quickly discarded them, suggesting that science is a means to a foundation for truth and reliability, whereas religion is simply not. The strangest part is that one of my instructors quickly backed him up by suggesting that atheists allow people to think about and reason against different ideas, whereas religion simply tells people what to think; however, because this declared atheist was so resistant to anything that might break down his arguments and because he is so adamant about the idea of God being false, he's pretty much telling people what to think anyway. It makes me lose my faith in wanting anything to do with other people, but I think he's pretty much type 5 in enneagram.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to say SFPs, INFJs, 1s, 4s would tend more towards this on average given the percentage of them in the population.

I think certain types - like Enneagram 5s would be less likely to be religious.

Little_Sticks

I think certain types - like Enneagram 5s would be less likely to be religious.

Right, but did you read my post? The gist of it was that he saw himself as not religious when in fact the way he supported and encouraged atheism against other religions (religions that believe in one or many deities) made him equivalent to someone who is religious.

What do you mean by religious then, if he is clearly distinguishable, other than that he supports the pursuit of science to better his life, whereas something like Christianity does not?

Because I've seen fives fall into this trap a lot and it's just as hard to talk to them about their beliefs as it is, say a Christian.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right, but did you read my post? The gist of it was that he saw himself as not religious when in fact the way he supported and encouraged atheism against other religions (religions that believe in one or many deities) made him equivalent to someone who is religious.

What do you mean by religious then, if he is clearly distinguishable, other than that he supports the pursuit of science to better his life, whereas something like Christianity does not?

Because I've seen fives fall into this trap a lot and it's just as hard to talk to them about their beliefs as it is, say a Christian.

I don't think atheism is a form of religion.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Feeling types and maybe some STJs (think of someone like Angela from The Office). Of course, there are always exceptions, but it does seem like if we put all the NTs together on a desert island, the ones who openly identified as religious or spiritual would be a minority.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Religions have all kinds of hooks for all types. For instance, I've known several devout INTPs who really get into the theology of it, also their little Fe's grow three times bigger. I imagine some of them Pentecostal churches with the writhing and speaking in tongues have some unique offerings especially for the SXey people.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Religions have all kinds of hooks for all types. For instance, I've known several devout INTPs who really get into the theology of it, also their little Fe's grow three times bigger. I imagine some of them Pentecostal churches with the writhing and speaking in tongues have some unique offerings especially for the SXey people.

Good point. Theology would be a big draw for INTPs, but speaking in tongues certainly would not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of (male) INTPs in Medieval Europe wound up as monks or rabbinical scholars, depending on their background and social class, of course.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think atheism is a form of religion.

Not technically, but religious feeling and devotion can be found applied to anything. Similarly, some people classify themselves as religious but don't feel any particular attachment to it in a particular form, or practice it.

I disagree with ISFP's; perhaps there are a lot of religious ones I haven't met, but they seem to be too apathetic for it.

I agree with the person who says that religion and spirituality would have different pulls for different types and with the person who said it is important to distinguish between the two, but there may be some who would be more likely to be attracted to it than others.

I would say for:
religion: SJ if they grew up in a religious environment because they tend to value convention and establishment, Fe dominant because it allows external expression of feeling and a sense of community.
spirituality: Ni dominant because of the mysticism, Fi dominant because of the personal sense of meaning.
Ti-Fe enjoys theory and may enjoy theory which engages Fe, so might happen to be attracted to theology.
Edit: Se dominants seem to be attracted to it too, but I don't know why.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not sure. I feel like fe people would be more likely to force their beliefs on you same with te but I don't think they're nesercerly more religious than other types. I believe what I believe and I'm willing to share what I believe but I'm not going to sit there and convince you that mine are right yours are wrong, mostly cuz I don't know nor can prove it. if you try to do the same to me, I'll just be like um yeah ok

yeghor

I want to make a poll about people's religious/spiritual preferences but don't know what options to put on the poll...

Any suggestions other than:

Christianity
Judaism
Islam
Buddhism
Hinduism
Agnostic
Atheist
Unitarian-Universalism
Paganism
Shamanism

...?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Good point. Theology would be a big draw for INTPs, but speaking in tongues certainly would not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of (male) INTPs in Medieval Europe wound up as monks or rabbinical scholars, depending on their background and social class, of course.

My INTP atheist friend wants to be a Medieval monk when he graduates. His professors have told him to be more practical. :D

I want to make a poll about people's religious/spiritual preferences but don't know what options to put on the poll...

Any suggestions other than:

Christianity
Judaism
Islam
Buddhism
Hinduism
Agnostic
Atheist
Unitarian-Universalism
Paganism
Shamanism

...?

Taoism?

L

LadyLazarus

SJ's(because of tradition mostly)and NFJ's(because of craving a deeper spiritual connection or whatever).

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The only thing that might make some NFP's less likely to be into religious service, is because they sometimes have a hard time with communal/organized beliefs. They want to be all individualistic and go on a personal journey. The spiritual desire is definitely there though.

á´…eparted

passages
Couldn't say. I could think of arguments for or against a lot of different types. I'd be more interested to see if there is an actual relationship between them by taking a poll in a church or something.