User Tag List

First 123

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz
    I still wonder if we all see the same blue, if we have our own individual blues
    I wonder that as well. I think it's slightly different because my perception of color is slightly different from eye to eye. The colors are more vibrant and brighter when I see out of my right eye, but I only notice the difference if I close each eye for an extended period.

Also, Dr. Tyson's quote is nonsense. Science is merely a tool; it's not truth. If he's talking about scientific theories, that's still nonsense.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I wonder that as well. I think it's slightly different because my perception of color is slightly different from eye to eye. The colors are more vibrant and brighter when I see out of my right eye, but I only notice the difference if I close each eye for an extended period.

Also, Dr. Tyson's quote is nonsense. Science is merely a tool; it's not truth. If he's talking about scientific theories, that's still nonsense.
    I meant people who are saying being gay is a choice or evolution isn't real. Although they haven't proven it, most of the data points to those two conclusions.I didn't mean to discount religion I have another thread where I posted my spirtuality beliefs
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post

Exactly, these people that turn science into something almost mystical are as bad as religious people. A paint brush is not a painting, and a hammer is not a house. Science is not truth, it's a systematic tool.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz
    I meant people who are saying being gay is a choice or evolution isn't real. Although they haven't proven it, most of the data points to those two conclusions.I didn't mean to discount religion I have another thread where I posted my spirtuality beliefs
    Did you accidentally quote me by mistake? I was talking about perceiving colors differently.

Quote Originally Posted by inventor
    Exactly, these people that turn science into something almost mystical are as bad as religious people.
    I hope it's just a case of using imprecise language and that Dr. Tyson isn't one of those climate change alarmists with an agenda. I have heard Dr. Tyson interviewed on Coast to Coast by George Noory and unfortunately, he does sound like a big government bureaucrat.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Just because there is data, it doesn't mean you have the entire truth. Data only brings you closer to the truth. We can never really be certain of anything. Like Tellenbach has said above: science is only a tool in acquiring truth. Quite frankly, it's a tool that we know works most of the time. Science offers a perspective and confirms what is and considers what's possible.

The reason why people hold on to their beliefs is because they don't want their illusions destroyed. They've been conditioned to believe what they believe. The conditioning has provided them facts (that only make sense to them) to construct a framework of thinking. It is extremely difficult to escape because they don't even know they've been conditioned to it.

We all want truth. But it is science that is closer because it's flexible. Belief is more set in stone.
    Two things fill me with wonder —
    the starry heavens above me and
    the moral law within me.

Immanuel Kant

Tell me what a person finds sexually attractive
    and I will tell you their entire philosophy of life.

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I don't expect theology to tell me much about electron energy states.

I don't expect hard science to tell me much about spiritual issues.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by inventor View Post
    Exactly, these people that turn science into something almost mystical are as bad as religious people. A paint brush is not a painting, and a hammer is not a house. Science is not truth, it's a systematic tool.
    And this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

"your beliefs don't matter when it comes to the truth"

It would be pretty insane to not believe this statement. You might as well just say "I think there is such a thing as truth". The problem is, it does absolutely nothing to bring us close to actually knowing what the truth is.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I don't expect hard science to tell me much about spiritual issues.
    What precisely would that entail and why can science not shed light on it?
    Go to sleep, iguana.