User Tag List

First 123 Last

WhoCares

I think its a part of popular culture that has endured throughout ages. Something people rigidly adhere to just because other people have adhered to it and agreed amoung themselves it exists. The fear of being ostracised is so huge that people will uphold any concept just to be accepted.

Me? Bahhumbug! Tme doesn't exist except where we insist it does. Clocks ticking in synchronised harmony is just machinery it doesn't measure anything.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

no, but I believed in Oakysage

MBTI
    yupp

I think it's more complicated than yes or no. On the one hand it was us humans who coined terms for time, and the hours and days and years are a construct. like new years really isn't that important as it's a man made thing. on the other hand we do move forward, we do age, progress is made so in that sense it does exists.there's no point in history where nothing moved forward. But i was wondering if time was coined to describe the progression of things, and the other constructs followed.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    On the one hand it was us humans who coined terms for time
    Interesting point to bring up - it's thought that animals don't perceive time as such. Since they are purely instinctive beings (we think) they are in a state of constant present moment awareness. So if an eagle could talk, you could say 'Do you know such a thing as a past and a future?' and they wouldn't know what you were talking about - they live only now. As least that's a certain theory..

It's also what the Buddhists say too: 'There is only Now'...

As for what I think: time is a mental construct, it doesn't actually exist, because we only know the present moment in our actual experience - the past and the future are fictional projections of the mind.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by blurry View Post
    Interesting point to bring up - it's thought that animals don't perceive time as such. Since they are purely instinctive beings (we think) they are in a state of constant present moment awareness. So if an eagle could talk, you could say 'Do you know such a thing as a past and a future?' and they wouldn't know what you were talking about - they live only now. As least that's a certain theory..

It's also what the Buddhists say too: 'There is only Now'...

As for what I think: time is a mental construct, it doesn't actually exist, because we only know the present moment in our actual experience - the past and the future are fictional projections of the mind.
    I think animals do perceive time, think about examples of dogs waiting for their owns to come home or cats knowing what day they get wet food and refusing dry food on those days.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I think animals do perceive time, think about examples of dogs waiting for their owns to come home or cats knowing what day they get wet food and refusing dry food on those days.
    Yeah I thought about that too. I have a dog who has a phobia of loud noises, so I thought she must remember some experience that scared her in the past to still have the phobia. But the way I see it is that she doesn't actually remember the event in the past, she just has a sensory experience without referring to a past or a mental image of the past...it's more like a body sensation than a thought, while their awareness is always in the present.

As for dogs waiting for their owners and cats choosing wet food, maybe it's also instinctive, the learned behaviour is simply something they do without thinking about it or remembering the past. It's in their bodies, not their 'minds'. Although I'm no expert...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    If you do, do you believe the present your conscious state is in is subjective? As in, does your present awareness you hold differ on a timeline to other people?

If you don't do you believe in dimensional planes beyond our own 3D?
    I tried to reply with all my powers, but the question itself is so absurd that it cant be answered in any proper way without explaining many books and changing the question a bit.

Ill just say that things that are located in different places in space are in different time and your brains and thus awareness/consciousness are constructed from many things that are in different places in space.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I believe in decay, which is essentially what time is.
    Even tho decay takes time, that doesent mean that time equals decay.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    If you do, do you believe the present your conscious state is in is subjective? As in, does your present awareness you hold differ on a timeline to other people?

If you don't do you believe in dimensional planes beyond our own 3D?
    Difficult.

1st question.

I guess I believe in time. I just don't find it relevant like most people do. I hate the way we measure it and I hate how much ppl care about it.

I also think that things are timeless as well. So my answer is yes and no.

There is void and there are the things that fill it...

It's like two sides of the same coin imo.

2nd ques: is it subjective?: Technically everything that we perceive is subjective in a way. Time is not subjective...our perception of it is VERY subjective though.

I know that time for me.....goes at a very different rate than it does for other people.

I have no sense of time, really.

I will be reflecting and it seems like there's so much time that went by...when it was only 5 mins.

And then I will be getting stuff done and it will feel like 5 mins just past, when it was really an hour.

Where another person feels like the time was going by so slow.

One thing I do that slows down time for me is deep breathing. If I really breathe in the moments....I can slow down my perception of time.

3rd ques: Yea I believe there's more than just the 3 dimensions that our brains perceive.
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    yupp

I brought up my question in my house last night. and they said it has to do with your beliefs, and one was like it's in the bible. and i'm like ugh! it has nothing to do with my beliefs, it has to do with the truth. not to mention the bible was man written so we don't know if it's true or not.