• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Does The Thought of God Not Existing Terrify You?

entpersonal

I'm more of the camp that the idea of god (and related thing) existing is more disturbing than lack of.

This made me laugh. I agree. I would wonder why this god didn't intercede in a timely fashion when his "children" were in pain, or even why this god created a planet where the subjective sensation of pain abounds and animals eat one another for survival.

á´…eparted

passages
This made me laugh. I agree. I would wonder why this god didn't intercede in a timely fashion when his "children" were in pain, or even why this god created a planet where the subjective sensation of pain abounds and animals eat one another for survival.

I think you're laughing a typo (common thing with me) hehe. It really just makes no logical sense at all when you get around to it. The biggest thing to me, is there is no conciveable way to probe or figure out what god would see as moral and correct. Essentially you're asked to play a game with a massive rule book, but you aren't allowed to see it, and the entire playfield around you is nothing but contradicting hints. Tough luck folks, you'll figure it out! Yeah ok.

Mole

Permabanned
I find the very thought of Zeus and Poseidon not existing terrifying.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I read these questions and always ask: "Why does it matter?"

It is something that no matter what we'll be ignorant. We don't necessarily know what expectations are asked of us and this is all said with me being well aware of religious texts that we also believe to mean something. Hope is admirable.

Faith in a blind hope is honorable, but no amount of proof will ever actually prove anything.

I can't even honestly say that I would find a God pleasant, it is just what exists and I will have no control over that. I will control my emotions and I will calm any eruption of conscience, but I cannot determine such transcendental consequences to those emotions or actions that I have put on ice and perhaps that would be described as a failure on my part, but again it doesn't matter.

In the end I may actually be scared, but I understand that that has no bearing on reality.

Mole

Permabanned
So many Gods have passed out of existence, why would one more matter?

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
Super-intelligent AI programmed to maximize human suffering.

^Tell me you don't wish there was a god. QED.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It scared me when I was 14, which is when I started questioning. Now it's become a fact of life, so fear doesn't really come up. It's like saying "does it scare you to think there might not be a cure for cancer?" We don't have one, and that's our reality, so no, it's not a particularly scary thought to think that something that doesn't exist doesn't exist.

As for death, I don't know. I think that depends on how you imagine the dying process will actually transpire.

Cygnus

If you use Pascal's Divine Wager, you'd actually be better off if no god existed, because if no god existed and you died, you'd just disappear, no suffering.

If god does exist and you died ignoring him, eternal consequences. That's why Pascal (claimed he) believed God existed.

krypton1te

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
No, because I don't fear oblivion.

I find many people believe in God just for the sake of security of comfort. It doesn't mean that their relation is truly genuine. Whether or not God exists or doesn't, it doesn't change that fact that we are a small part of a greater whole.

I think it's actually more liberating because you become more open to the possibilities, you go to explore. You are intrigued by the mystery and it becomes addicting. You face the unknown rather than run from it.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

No, because I don't fear oblivion.

I find many people believe in God just for the sake of security of comfort. It doesn't mean that their relation is truly genuine. Whether or not God exists or doesn't, it doesn't change that fact that we are a small part of a greater whole.

I think it's actually more liberating because you become more open to the possibilities, you go to explore. You are intrigued by the mystery and it becomes addicting. You face the unknown rather than run from it.

"There is nothing better than oblivion, since in oblivion there is no wish unfulfilled."

Ukon

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not at all. In fact, it's comforting to know that there's nothing out there that tries to tell me what is universally, morally "right" and what is "wrong".

I mean, I'm Atheist leaning Asatru, so...It doesn't bother me. ;)