User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It only frightens me when I consider how many people there are who believe in a concept of morality and adhere to it, only because they also believe that it is set out by a most-likely-non-existent-external-force-deity.

It's suggests to me, that if that were removed as an option for their basis of morality, they would quickly cast aside all pretense and a nice showering of shit would commence.

Although then again......it usually showers that way when people use their belief in gods to justify it anyhow.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Based on the amount of different forms of Christianity, I may have to disagree. What of Christian Deism, is that not a basic selection of God (who inevitably left according to deism) but without all of the other stories? No divine intervention?

There's nothing stopping anybody from choosing the parts of religions that they like over others and still calling it a sub-variation of a religion.
    This is true of Protestantism which has splintered into 10,000 sects. However Protestants form only a small part of the world religious community. However if you live in the USA you might well think most of the world is Protestant. But this is simply parochialism.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    This is true of Protestantism which has splintered into 10,000 sects. However Protestants form only a small part of the world religious community. However if you live in the USA you might well think most of the world is Protestant. But this is simply parochialism.
    I didn't really consider Christian Deism a type of Protestantism, but I guess it could well be one. I always found it more like a Gnostic Agnosticism (oxymorons are fun). I do live in the USA and in a region infested with Protestants (mainly Southern Baptists), but the point I made is that people can still be apart of the umbrella term for several religions (e.g. Christianity is the umbrella for all of the various followers of Christ) and still claim that they are Christian. Therefore, one could simply pick the parts of Christianity that one believes to be true, form a religion about it, and still consider oneself Christian and through that logic be able to declare that the religion itself is a form of Christianity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think the idea that we're sort of swimming in the ocean with no lifeguard bothers me some, which is part of why I believe in God. I like having the lifeguard there. I don't like chaos.

No afterlife doesn't bother me much. If there isn't one I won't know that there isn't because I won't exist. I think an afterlife could be very cool but it could also be very bad, depending on which afterlife happens to be right. But I guess I am also a cafeteria Christian because I can't believe in an eternal lake of fire where people who do not believe in Jesus go.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I'm not sure how to feel about it. I'd be more terrified by the thought of afterlife not existing.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I didn't really consider Christian Deism a type of Protestantism, but I guess it could well be one. I always found it more like a Gnostic Agnosticism (oxymorons are fun). I do live in the USA and in a region infested with Protestants (mainly Southern Baptists), but the point I made is that people can still be apart of the umbrella term for several religions (e.g. Christianity is the umbrella for all of the various followers of Christ) and still claim that they are Christian. Therefore, one could simply pick the parts of Christianity that one believes to be true, form a religion about it, and still consider oneself Christian and through that logic be able to declare that the religion itself is a form of Christianity.
    Choice is part of Protestantism but choice is not part of the rest of revealed religion.

Revealed religion is a gestalt, a whole, a context, a way of looking at the world, and it is given to almost everyone in the world as their patrimony as a child.

And children accept their given revealed religion without question, it is only literate protestants who pick and choose and question and accept and reject.

No
    Masculine presenting transgender lesbian

Stansmith

The idea of living in a permanent state of euphoria for an eternity (Heaven) terrifies me a bit more; it just seems unnatural, like being on a permanent drug trip with no comedown. I'd rather just...rest.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm okay with a God not existing. I never banked on the existence of a Supreme Being, to begin with.

Considering the existence of cancer, incurable viruses, etc.. if a god did exist, I think I'd be a little pissed. Sure, boil a lot of human suffering down to man's free will, but why the fuck does ebola exist, jerk?

/shrug
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

WALMART

If God controls the land and disease,
    Keeps a watchful eye on me,
    If he's really so damn mighty,
    My problem is I can't see,
    Well who would wanna be?
    Who would wanna be such a control freak?

God who'd wanna be such an asshole?