User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Actually religion is revealed by God.

Religion is not for us to pick and choose.

For instance, God revealed the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai, and it would be blasphemous to choose which commandments we were to obey.

The Christians have the Apostles' Creed, an expression of faith, so it would also be blasphemnous to pick and choose which parts of the Creed to believe.

Muslims believe the Koran is the literal words of Allah. And to pick and choose which words are Allah's is blasphemy.

So we take Revelation as revealed truth or we reject all of it.

Religion is not like a supermarket or a smörgåsbord.
    Based on the amount of different forms of Christianity, I may have to disagree. What of Christian Deism, is that not a basic selection of God (who inevitably left according to deism) but without all of the other stories? No divine intervention?

There's nothing stopping anybody from choosing the parts of religions that they like over others and still calling it a sub-variation of a religion.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Yes, very much.

This has been quite a confusing topic for me lately. Because I don't think I'll ever be able to not believe in God. I have experienced him too many times, and I know people who have had even more incredible encounters than I have. I think what scares me more is the idea God does exist, and that I just don't understand him. Which in all honesty, is where I'm at right now.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Yes, very much.

This has been quite a confusing topic for me lately. Because I don't think I'll ever be able to not believe in God. I have experienced him too many times, and I know people who have had even more incredible encounters than I have. I think what scares me more is the idea God does exist, and that I just don't understand him. Which in all honesty, is where I'm at right now.
    Why haven't I had any cool God experiences? Does he hate me? Am I not special enough to have cooler God encounters than others?

I am kind of lying, actually. Once I drank a whole bottle of Robitussin and I saw God, clear as day. Unmistakable. Most powerful experience of my life. And then I came down. I don't believe in God. But I will say, if God is real he is a sick fuck with a sense of humor like that. Maybe I'll start the church of Robitussin.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    Why haven't I had any cool God experiences? Does he hate me? Am I not special enough to have cooler God encounters than others?

I am kind of lying, actually. Once I drank a whole bottle of Robitussin and I saw God, clear as day. Unmistakable. Most powerful experience of my life. And then I came down. I don't believe in God. But I will say, if God is real he is a sick fuck with a sense of humor like that. Maybe I'll start the church of Robitussin.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I'm not afraid of the thought that God doesn't exist, but I am afraid of the thought that there is nothing after death but the dark abyss that is non-existence. I don't want to perish from this place, I like it.
    These are my feelings on it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Based on the amount of different forms of Christianity, I may have to disagree. What of Christian Deism, is that not a basic selection of God (who inevitably left according to deism) but without all of the other stories? No divine intervention?

There's nothing stopping anybody from choosing the parts of religions that they like over others and still calling it a sub-variation of a religion.
    Yeah. I think everyone selects their belief set, regardless of how closely it may or may not match others'. We all have various sources of knowledge. Even single churches with single creeds may have people arguing over interpretation of certain phrases. Arguably, no two people are really ever able to have the "same" beliefs, if only because no two people have the same perception.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think nothingness is THAT scary, if at all. What I don't like about death is losing people I love and the loss of wisdom and experience that a person builds over their life. Lots of things are worse than death though, if you ask me. Like concentration camps and stuff.

The Iron Giant

No. I've been convinced of the non-existence of god for more than 25 years. I fully understand that like every other living thing on this planet, my life will end someday and I will no longer exist. I won't be here to care that I'm gone, so what does it matter? If I have a long life, it will be filled with far more pain than my death could ever bring. It already has been, and my suffering has been nothing in comparison to that of the rest of humanity.

What does matter is right now. There is just this time to do as much good as possible for myself and for others, and instead I waste so much of that time on other things. I take heart in knowing I'm not working for an afterlife/heaven/harem of virgins as a reward, only the legacy I leave behind with the living.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

I feel many things when I consider infinite universes. That god has to be real in every manifestation, that endless versions and non-stop quantities of me variants are treading the every-possible plane. Possible is a useless word because all the rules are broken and unbroken. Constantly growing and being annihilated and chaos and the void. Terror is one of those feelings.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

That depends perhaps on the sort of god that could exist.

Our range of possible gods would start from an evil, tyrannical god to a good, giving and caring god. The existence of the former would terrify me, while the lack of the latter would disappoint me.

Even in terms of those positives we would expect from both forms of god, the evil god's suppliance would seem to be a poisoned apple. So
    1. Meaning. One would imagine any meaning the evil god can supply to our lives would be distasteful to us, if not horrific.
    2. An afterlife. Again, the afterlife an evil god oversees is likely to also be highly unpleasant.
    3. Moral definition. Another benefit of the existence of a god is that morals set by it are above human relativity. Unfortunately, the morals of an evil god are not likely to seem moral to any human, and we couldn't accept them willingly.

Is anyone in this thread terrified by the non-existence of an evil god? Does the possible existence of an evil god as opposed to a good one still make them want to press the god creation button, or does that possibility mute their terror of no god existing at all?

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

I guess personally for me, assuming that a soul exists, it’s even more terrifying not here on Earth when I am alive but in the afterlife because essentially who is keeping order? People/souls can do whatever they want and even if there were established “powers”, their lack of omniscience terrifies me as they may be more susceptible to making mistakes….I feel that if a God exists, everything would be more fair…hate to have to see the notion that “life isn’t fair” apply to the afterlife…of course, I am only basing all of this on a God that is Good, Perfect, and Omniscient.