First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    I'm not afraid of the thought that God doesn't exist, but I am afraid of the thought that there is nothing after death but the dark abyss that is non-existence. I don't want to perish from this place, I like it.
    My thoughts exactly.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Default The Death of God

Really, really, really!

God is dead, the book is dead, the author is dead, privacy is dead, the individual is dead, even newspapers are dying.

What does this tell us?

Everywhere we look, we see death, yet everywhere around us the world has never been more alive.

We can have a marvellous forensic autopsie of the body of God, to find what killed God. Who killed God, would be a marvellous name for a thriller.

The prime suspect, indeed, the prime scapegoat, is Charles Darwin.

But he is innocent, my Lord, it wasn't Charles who killed God, rather God was dragged down and throttled by the death of print.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

No, it doesn't frighten me, and I do believe in God, and that he is a personal god also (as in, not an abstract force). Some ideas of different gods frighten me. The kind who demand BLOOD or who have to be appeased, etc. I don't believe in hellfire either nor an afterlife in the manner most do. I find NOT believing in hellfire very comforting. But I don't believe this is "all there is". I think that thought might be scary, as life is so short. And I have certainly made decisions and spent time on things directly related to my beliefs, which then brings up the question: would I have done differently and would I be happier for it? But when I ponder that, I do not believe I'd be happier. I think I'd just be unhappy about different things. I suspect I'd be searching for meaning in areas not as satisfying to me.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't believe in hellfire
    So you have a personal belief in God, a kind of cafeteria belief, where you choose what to believe and what not to believe - kind of safe petit bourgeois God, a God that sells.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

No, because he needs to be replaced anyway.

It's like he puts us into a box and dangles down some strings in an elaborate web where we can only pick between choices A-B-C and such.

Somehow we need to find out how to blast the top off, and then grab choices outside the system.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    So you have a personal belief in God, a kind of cafeteria belief, where you choose what to believe and what not to believe - kind of safe petit bourgeois God, a God that sells.
    Nope, that's not it. Nice of you to condescendingly tell me what I believe with very little info from ME about it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Depends on which God.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Nope, that's not it. Nice of you to condescendingly tell me what I believe with very little info from ME about it.
    Call it an exploratory projection to test the waters.

Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Isn't Spirituality a cafeteria in of itself though? You have the people that pick only their favorite items, the people that pick the items that others have convinced them are good, and the people that pick the items that their parents/role-models/friends pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Isn't Spirituality a cafeteria in of itself though? You have the people that pick only their favorite items, the people that pick the items that others have convinced them are good, and the people that pick the items that their parents/role-models/friends pick.
    Actually religion is revealed by God.

Religion is not for us to pick and choose.

For instance, God revealed the Ten Commandments on Mount Sinai, and it would be blasphemous to choose which commandments we were to obey.

The Christians have the Apostles' Creed, an expression of faith, so it would also be blasphemnous to pick and choose which parts of the Creed to believe.

Muslims believe the Koran is the literal words of Allah. And to pick and choose which words are Allah's is blasphemy.

So we take Revelation as revealed truth or we reject all of it.

Religion is not like a supermarket or a smörgåsbord.