User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 92

  1. #81
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    lol whatever bruh

    You're talking about people's personal moralities because you haven't experienced things like immutable, universal morality. Guessing that's because you're in you're early 20s. #adhomftw
    eh? I believe what I wish. who are you to say otherwise?

  2. #82
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Perhaps you believe in cultural relativism - the belief that all cultures are equally good.

    Yet we see people doing their damdest to escape tribal cultures, dictatorships, totalitarian cultures, religious cultures and chaotic States, and fleeing to liberal democracies, multi-cultural States, with regulated and competitive capitalism, who subscribe to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    And? Humans are self-interested.

  3. #83
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    And? Humans are self-interested.
    This is true. And since 1776 we have known that self interest leads to public prosperity under regulated and competitive capitalism.

    You will find it explained and set out in The Wealth of Nations published in 1776 by the Scot, Adam Smith.

  4. #84
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    eh? I believe what I wish. who are you to say otherwise?
    What kind of response is that?

  5. #85
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    eh? I believe what I wish. who are you to say otherwise?
    Why not believe what is reasonably true?

    If you believe what you wish, it is called wish fulfillment.

    And wish fulfillment has only the most tenuous connection with reality.

  6. #86
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ANFP
    Posts
    15

    Default

    It won't end as you say. It may be substituted, but not because it's proven wrong. It will be complemented with other ideals, such as in the east, where other well established virtues come in to bring balance to the frequently misinterpreted ideals of the west. Balance will be achieved.
    "Thirty spokes converge upon a hub,
    and it is because of the hole that the car has its use.

    Clay is formed into a bowl,
    and it is because of the hole that the bowl has its use.

    Carve doors and windows to make a room,
    and it is because of the hole that the room has its use.

    Where there is is what gives you the tangible,
    but where there is not is what gives it its use."

  7. #87
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Why not believe what is reasonably true?

    If you believe what you wish, it is called wish fulfillment.

    And wish fulfillment has only the most tenuous connection with reality.
    Reality is subjective.

  8. #88
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    What kind of response is that?
    er.. because "universal morality" doesn't exist.

  9. #89
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,534

    Default Quale and Fact

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Reality is subjective.
    The subjective are quale.

    And reality is fact.

    We perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

    So the distinction quale/fact gives us a handle on reality and the subjective.

  10. #90
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Ok, so sensual perception is not subjective. Do you have evidence of this?
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

    Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

Similar Threads

  1. When will atheism replace religion?
    By UniqueMixture in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 05:56 PM
  2. when will the U.S. get decent healthcare
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM
  3. When will I ever learn?
    By Such Irony in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 11:37 PM
  4. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM
  5. Why human activities will not cause the end on the world as we know it ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO