• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Creates Evil? What can be done about it?

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Do you mean that modern society is evil? Are you Baron Society? Good luck finding a society that actually existed in history that was less evil.

I'm just a man, with no more rights, duties and responsibilities than the other UK citizens in the world. :);)

Mole

Permabanned
Satan

Satan is the personification of evil, and Satan said, I would rather rule in Hell than serve in Heaven.

Satan shows that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This is why Satan's power is limited to Hell, where He has absolute power and is absolutely corrupt.

entpersonal

There's objectively no such thing as "evil" in the universe. The thing you eventually grasp philosophically is that the universe is truly indifferent to human enterprise and humans create values and meaning independently. That can be scary or liberating.

ygolo

My termites win
There's objectively no such thing as "evil" in the universe. The thing you eventually grasp philosophically is that the universe is truly indifferent to human enterprise and humans create values and meaning independently. That can be scary or liberating.

Are you, presumably part of the universe, liberated enough to choose to be scared of this?

entpersonal

Are you, presumably part of the universe, liberated enough to choose to be scared of this?

I'm probably indifferent enough not to be bothered or liberated enough to be scared. The good/evil thing is interesting - ask someone to point to evil. It's just an idea, such as justice, that doesn't corporally embody itself in this empirical reality.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
evil is personal justification by the individual. and if conducted as a guild, they all have some similar justifications to unify them. like ww2. when japan was bombed people said fuk'm. yet the Japanese believed (justified) in what they did so much they suicide. or take germany/russia. the germans killed and raped while having justification as a guild. the Russians did back inkind with their own justification as a guild. a lot of different motives compelled the individual to follow the guild.
consciousness can reverse it. as it is now, we have to maintain and expand free information on the internets for awareness sake. we can get there. guild mentality also gave the human amnesia. we don't forget. while as guilds, we 'edit' history to a point where it becomes different than it really was.

ygolo

My termites win
I'm probably indifferent enough not to be bothered or liberated enough to be scared. The good/evil thing is interesting - ask someone to point to evil. It's just an idea, such as justice, that doesn't corporally embody itself in this empirical reality.

There is some truth to this. But we know so little. Can you point to where life resides? Or consciousness? Or the self that views the theater of the mind and acts with volition?

Genetics and Neuroscience has some tentative answers to these. Evil too. There is in fact a gene strongly associated with psycopahty that creates issues with the empathy circuits.

entpersonal

There is in fact a gene strongly associated with psycopahty that creates issues with the empathy circuits.

The funny thing is that psychopaths don't view themselves as evil; without feelings, life seems pretty sterile.

Mole

Permabanned

We perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see.

And a fundamental distinction we make in order to see is the distinction: good/evil.

So we might say a distinction is like a torch shinning a light into the darkness, and we only see what the torch illuminates.

And I think we can also say distinctions don't exist.

And distinctions don't exist because distinctions are a relationship. Distinctions are a pattern.

And so if we can say relationship and pattern don't exist, then we can say evil doesn't exist, and by the same token, good doesn't exist.

entpersonal

There is some truth to this. But we know so little. Can you point to where life resides? Or consciousness? Or the self that views the theater of the mind and acts with volition?

Genetics and Neuroscience has some tentative answers to these. Evil too. There is in fact a gene strongly associated with psycopahty that creates issues with the empathy circuits.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Evil is subjective to each individual.

If you are saying why do we have wars, crimes, gangs, etc..?

Then it's because of our own domestication process.

In which one of the biggest by-products is Shame. Along with many other things.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
evil is just suffering and lack of love funding a war between shame and anger.

shame is the fear of being excommunicated, of having your humanity abandon you. it is the part of us that must go into hiding, a kind of shared socially embodied shadow. the way we inherit it, it towers over us, it casts its shadow upon us. our communicable disease.

evil is the result of that process meeting the anger of the body that will not submit to its judgment, whose fear has taken away its capacity to be shared and released in a constructive, heart-opening way. softened. who no longer believes in the future, in peace, in the possibility of finding wholeness, in healing. when the drive toward death is more attractive than the drive toward life.

it's just a cancerous process brought about by the devastation of the ecology of a system. our sense of it is a recognition of that which destroys wholeness. the ultimate dead-end. it's a kind of emotional, relational, social undoing that is spread across all levels of our experience of the distributed self.

it arises within us, within our judgment, and not the act itself. it's when we say, you are not worth it anymore.

as far as the doing harm idea, doing harm to others is something that prevents us from allowing you to be with us, that makes you not worth it for us. self-destruction and other-destruction generally go hand in hand. this is simply what we say when we can't own our own inability to give more, when we can't simply acknowledge our needed boundaries, when we need to be right instead of recognize the conflict of our own needs within ourselves and between others, and trust ourselves to act out of an awareness of them.

evil is just the end of empathy, what we impose through our own limitations.

ygolo

My termites win
Evil is subjective to each individual.

If you are saying why do we have wars, crimes, gangs, etc..?

Then it's because of our own domestication process.

In which one of the biggest by-products is Shame. Along with many other things.

I did indeed mean what is in bold.

Can you elaborate on how shame creates wars?

ygolo

My termites win
evil is just suffering and lack of love funding a war between shame and anger.

shame is the fear of being excommunicated, of having your humanity abandon you. it is the part of us that must go into hiding, a kind of shared socially embodied shadow. the way we inherit it, it towers over us, it casts its shadow upon us. our communicable disease.

evil is the result of that process meeting the anger of the body that will not submit to its judgment, whose fear has taken away its capacity to be shared and released in a constructive, heart-opening way. softened. who no longer believes in the future, in peace, in the possibility of finding wholeness, in healing. when the drive toward death is more attractive than the drive toward life.

it's just a cancerous process brought about by the devastation of the ecology of a system. our sense of it is a recognition of that which destroys wholeness. the ultimate dead-end. it's a kind of emotional, relational, social undoing that is spread across all levels of our experience of the distributed self.

it arises within us, within our judgment, and not the act itself. it's when we say, you are not worth it anymore.

as far as the doing harm idea, doing harm to others is something that prevents us from allowing you to be with us, that makes you not worth it for us. self-destruction and other-destruction generally go hand in hand. this is simply what we say when we can't own our own inability to give more, when we can't simply acknowledge our needed boundaries, when we need to be right instead of recognize the conflict of our own needs within ourselves and between others, and trust ourselves to act out of an awareness of them.

evil is just the end of empathy, what we impose through our own limitations.

One interpretation of this might be that avoiding shaming of others is more moral than avoiding harm to others. Is this a logical consequence of what you meant?

Another interpretation is that shaming others is how morality is built, and therefore what we must do. Is this a logical consequence of what you meant?

I accept that the what is good vs. evil are within each of us, and cannot be separated. However, we perceive a self that makes decisions. What principles can guide our choices?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did indeed mean what is in bold.

Can you elaborate on how shame creates wars?

:laugh: this was supposed to be the "short version" ha ha, didn't happen.

We feel bad about ourselves, we question our self worth (which is innate, there is no need to strive to earn it...you already are worthy....), and then our ego's have to make up for it.

The ego manifests itself in many ways.

One of them is in thinking there's not enough to go around. It's a bullshit concept. People just look at the negative and pass on their negative thinking to their children (on the small scale)

Large scale....greed. People think having more makes them more worthy...but it's a bottomless pit. There's never enough.

It just all falls back on what we've been passed on for years. We don't take responsibility for ourselves in the situations that we can. We are domesticated to think there's something wrong with us (there's the shame), therefore play the victim our whole lives (there's the not taking or passing on responsibility part) Some more than others...of course.

We are hurt by our parents cause they shame us from acting the ways they don't want us to act. (usually what their subjective definition of "evil" is....you know...probably something like not sharing, hitting, taking without asking, etc....we all do these things....there's no denying it. The more you deny and shame for shit like this, the more it gets suppressed and manifests later in unhealthy ways...later down the road in adult life. And the more problems you have as a kid the more your subconscious spends the rest of you life trying to re-live and solve those problems. Hence the reason why a girl can walk into a room filled with about 40 men, and pick the ONLY one that is an alcoholic....just because her dad was an alcoholic....so the same goes for murderers....they probably have something mentally wrong with them...but along with that, they have most likely been craving intimacy and control...so they get those things by killing someone, cause that's one of the biggest ways to get those things...stuff like that)

Then we despise our parents after years of the same bs...

Then we play victim and seek revenge.

It could be anybody's story...

It actually IS everybody's story. In one way or another...Some more extreme than others.....of course

Good and evil are two sides of the same coin.

The more we try to bring about one side...the more a shadow forms....

And to bring that back into typology...lol let's just say that you're an E5...and your parents think you should be more outgoing...that judgment or "evil" of not being outgoing enough...is subjective......

There's nothing wrong with someone not being outgoing.

So in my opinion....we shame what we think the "in crowd" would shame. So that we have children that fit in.

This covers both nature and nurture.

So again, your answer is: our domestication process. It's detrimental. The fact that people think that there are "evil" things, is detrimental in itself.

:laugh: but nobody likes to be told any of this...so I'd keep it on the dl. Even me. I will admit that I find things to be evil...and don't like them....and if someone was to tell me that it was not evil...that it was neutral....and I'm just passing judgment....I would probably get annoyed as well. Cause, you see, I too, have been domesticated lol. :shrug: (Nobody likes to be told their wrong. That would be a form of shame btw..) and that would make them feel unlovable and unworthy.

Next question? :coffee:

Mole

Permabanned
What creates evil is synonomous with, what created the shoah or the holocaust?

And what can be done about it, has been answered in 1948 with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And what can we do about it today is synonomous with, how can we defend the Universal Declaration of Human Rights against those who seek to overthrow it?

And those who seek to overthrow Universal Human Rights have publicly declared themselves. They are the OIC (the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation) consisting of 57 Islamic nations who are members of the United Nations. And they are also the marxist Left who have made an historic alliance with the Islamists to overthrow Universal Human Rights.

entpersonal

I contend that evil doesn't exist apart from the human mind and its conception of evil. Unlike a stovetop or guitar, you can't point to evil as an objective, tangible thing in the real world.

Mole

Permabanned
I contend that evil doesn't exist apart from the human mind and its conception of evil. Unlike a stovetop or guitar, you can't point to evil as an objective, tangible thing in the real world.

We are meaning creating animals. And we create meaning by creating distinctions, and the more distinctions we create, the more meaning we create.

So we create the distinction good/evil.

Does the distinction exist? Or is the distinction a relationship between good and evil? Does a relationship exist?

I find it hard to say distinctions don't exist, for without distinctions, there would be nothing.

entpersonal

We are meaning creating animals. And we create meaning by creating distinctions, and the more distinctions we create, the more meaning we create.

So we create the distinction good/evil.

Does the distinction exist? Or is the distinction a relationship between good and evil? Does a relationship exist?

I find it hard to say distinctions don't exist, for without distinctions, there would be nothing.

Good and evil are simply lexical distinctions made by humans; these distinctions do not denote any real difference between the objects.

Mole

Permabanned
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Good and evil are simply lexical distinctions made by humans; these distinctions do not denote any real difference between the objects.

Yes, the only difference between objects is the distinction we make between them.

But I wouldn't say only lexical after all in John 1:1 we read - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

And this perhaps is the unbearable lightness of being.