• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is life so Painful?

entpersonal

How do you figure ? If everything was one color, you wouldn't appreciate it because you'd know nothing different. I don't want that. I want choice. And dichotomies provide choice.

This evaluation you're doing right now is in the context of having experienced pain, and therefore invalid as an unadulterated supposition.

entpersonal

How do you figure ? If everything was one color, you wouldn't appreciate it because you'd know nothing different. I don't want that. I want choice. And dichotomies provide choice.

It would only be "fair" if your memory of past pain - i.e., this life - were permanently expunged.

Mole

Permabanned
And dichotomies provide choice.

Yes, dichotomies do provide choice and also they are epistemological.

Yes, dichotomies provide our epistemology, they provide our way of perceiving.

A dichotomy is a distinction. And a distinction distinquishes between this and that.

A distinction is like a torch, and we see wherever we shine it.

So we perceive by making distinctions, and the more distinctions, the more we see, and as you so rightly say, more choice.

Mole

Permabanned
Simply because you can see an option doesn't mean you can bring it to fruition.

We don't see an option, we don't see a distinction, rather a distinction enables us to see.

So options or distinctions are epistemological, they enable us to see. They are like a torch, and where we shine it, that is what we see.

entpersonal

We don't see an option, we don't see a distinction, rather a distinction enables us to see.

So options or distinctions are epistemological, they enable us to see. They are like a torch, and where we shine it, that is what we see.

You wouldn't have more choice if you could merely see - i.e., you couldn't do anything to correct your sorry situation. E.g., If you knew to turn left at the intersection, in theory, but couldn't do so, in practice.

Mole

Permabanned
You wouldn't have more choice if you could merely see - i.e., you couldn't do anything to correct your sorry situation. E.g., If you knew to turn left at the intersection, in theory, but couldn't do so, in practice.

The whole point of an epistemological distinction is that we can move across the distinction.

If you are interested in distinctions and how to use them, you might like the book The Laws of Form by G. Spencer-Brown.

If you find you can't turn left and your situation is a sorry one, you might be interested in free self help groups. A good place to start is Share!

entpersonal

If you find you can't turn left and your situation is a sorry one, you might be interested in free self help groups. A good place to start is Share!

Is it really self-help if you enlist the help of someone else?

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it really self-help if you enlist the help of someone else?

In the spirit of playfulness ... Not intending to be a jerk.
It's a funny joke I've always enjoyed but it's kinda cheesy >.< okay ..

So there's a woman in a book store and she asks the clerk, "pardon me. do you know where the self help books are?" In which the clerk replies, "yes". After a period of awkward silence the woman asked, "well. Can you tell me where it is?". The clerk responds, "no. That would defeat the purpose".

Lol! .. Well. I thought it funny. :p

entpersonal

Pain is simply the lever that adaptation has taken for discouraging certain behaviors; pleasure encourages other behaviors that promote the welfare of the species into perpetuity. If you're looking for a deeper ontological basis for pain and pleasure, there really isn't one.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because the universe at its core is being subjected to entropy and decay.

Humans are hurdling through space at millions of miles per hour on a rock that's so big it creates gravity that pulls everything down towards the ground with a strength of ~8lbs of pressure. Our DNA, and thus our bodies, are decaying because of limited resources and being weakened by the strain of frequent replication, while our sun and planet are slowly losing resources, not to mention how the planets of our solar system are being bombarded by space rocks and having their orbits decaying...

Things naturally decay. It's actually a lie that energy can't be destroyed, since the universe is slowly losing energy every day. We're losing heat, things are slowing down, one day the Earth will stop rotating because the oceans being pulled by the moon is causing friction that slows it down by milliseconds each decade.

If we're getting fucked at the fundamentally physical level, then yeah, life is gonna suck. It's all an uphill battle just by how the rules are written, yet alone by how the game is played. I haven't even gotten into how nature is essentially a Hunger Games in and of itself.

Cygnus

Life is painful because we're so picky. In chaos (or an unregulated system like the world) all things want to reach a state of constant, so there will be more or less an even distribution of what circumstances occur.

Humans have a very narrow, specific "band" of circumstances to appeal to their needs.

So most of human life in the world is de facto gonna suck

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact that we don't have a God like figure having his hand up our anus means that we are in control. The only person that is truly responsible to your survival is you and that brings a person pain since it is a biological battle of being a dick or sucking other peoples dicks, being life's bitch or making life your bitch. This mentality brings in pride and egos to climb up the ladder of social status to try to achieve "your fullest potential" which leads people to harm others and themselves leading society into a paradox of pain and a hope that if your in the top pain will no longer exist which is a lie for pain lies in the outer world realm and in the inner world realm. Now there are forms of escapism such as the Media, Imagination, Drugs/Alcohol, Communities such as a church, TypCentral or even your family if done rights leaves you with a sanctuary in life, an escapism from the true reality that is that life will do everything it can to make you its bitch and have its hand up your anus.

Alea_iacta_est

The fact that we don't have a God like figure having his hand up our anus means that we are in control. The only person that is truly responsible to your survival is you and that brings a person pain since it is a biological battle of being a dick or sucking other peoples dicks, being life's bitch or making life your bitch. This mentality brings in pride and egos to climb up the ladder of social status to try to achieve "your fullest potential" which leads people to harm others and themselves leading society into a paradox of pain and a hope that if your in the top pain will no longer exist. Now there are forms of escapism such as the Media, Imagination, Communities such as a church, TypCentral or even your family if done rights leaves you with a sanctuary in life, an escapism from the true reality that is that life will do everything it can to make you its bitch and have its hand up your anus.

Isn't the fucked up Type 8 world-view great? Because I hands down (or up suiting this occasion) agree with this.