• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is life so Painful?

T

The Iron Giant

empathy never exists. are you saying you don't get that standard fact?

it doesn't exist, duh.

It does exist. and?

eqTy0.gif

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
people contradict. haha.. get insecure and cite your metaphysical bull..:D

entpersonal

Suffering comes from desire, according to some dude. I think his name was Tony. I think there may be a difference, though, between desiring what you can't have, and desiring what you can. The latter can be a force of motivation.

If you desire perfection, you are going to suffer.

Even the most "evolved" mystic gets hungry or sleepy occasionally. There's always pain in life - that's a sine qua non of existence.

entpersonal

My view is that anti-natalism is the way forward - if pain is inherent to life, and if childbirth is normally voluntary, then why not forgo children to prevent future generations from needlessly suffering?

entpersonal

One night in long bygone times, man awoke and saw himself.

He saw that he was naked under cosmos, homeless in his own body. All things dissolved before his testing thought, wonder above wonder, horror above horror unfolded in his mind.

Then woman too awoke and said it was time to go and slay. And he fetched his bow and arrow, a fruit of the marriage of spirit and hand, and went outside beneath the stars. But as the beasts arrived at their waterholes where he expected them of habit, he felt no more the tiger’s bound in his blood, but a great psalm about the brotherhood of suffering between everything alive.

That day he did not return with prey, and when they found him by the next new moon, he was sitting dead by the waterhole.

http://philosophynow.org/issues/45/The_Last_Messiah

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know. Ask [MENTION=8029]man[/MENTION]

W

WALMART

Somewhere between making socks for myself and controlling 56% of the market that produces socks, a lot of things go awry.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because without pain there'd be no joy ?

entpersonal

Because without pain there'd be no joy ?

That's not true. You could experience joy even without the foil of pain. The state of high dopamine etc. would just be perceived as normal, and maybe painful compared to greater joys, which would imply some degree of deprivation.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's not true. You could experience joy even without the foil of pain. The state of high dopamine etc. would just be perceived as normal, and maybe painful compared to greater joys, which would imply some degree of deprivation.

The harder you fall ... The higher you bounce.

You are indeed right. However .. I would never trade pain in exchange for the mediocre. But that's just me.

entpersonal

The harder you fall ... The higher you bounce.

You are indeed right. However .. I would never trade pain in exchange for the mediocre. But that's just me.

Even if the hypothetical mediocre was beyond any pleasure you have thus experienced?!

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even if the hypothetical mediocre was beyond any pleasure you have thus experienced?!

Haha! That makes no sense. Mediocre can't be "beyond". That's why it's mediocre.

I think you're teasing me. :huh: :p

entpersonal

Haha! That makes no sense. Mediocre can't be "beyond". That's why it's mediocre.

I think you're teasing me. :huh: :p

It makes sense. I'm saying if everything were peachy 24/7 - "hypothetical mediocre," which would be beyond your current pleasures. It's hypothetical because our world is perceived as a mixture of pain and pleasure. This idyllic world would become emotionally static or mediocre.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It makes sense. I'm saying if everything were peachy 24/7 - "hypothetical mediocre," which would be beyond your current pleasures. It's hypothetical because our world is perceived as a mixture of pain and pleasure. This idyllic world would become emotionally static or mediocre.

So the question is would I exchange the dichotomy between pain and pleasure for a constant state of mediocre and that said such mediocre was orgasmically superior to the prior condition perceived ?

No. No I would not. Because I wouldn't be able to recognize its greatness because I would never miss it. I would never appreciate it. Because it would always be there. I would have nothing to overcome in order to achieve it. And, There'd be no motivation in life to learn aside from logical and logic lacking meaning renders it pointless.

It would be a still picture void of life.

Fuck That! Lol!! :p

entpersonal

So the question is would I exchange the dichotomy between pain and pleasure for a constant state of mediocre and that said such mediocre was orgasmically superior to the prior condition perceived ?

Yeah those are the intellectual parameters I was going for initially haha.

entpersonal

No. No I would not. Because I wouldn't be able to recognize its greatness because I would never miss it. I would never appreciate it. Because it would always be there. I would have nothing to overcome in order to achieve it. And, There'd be no motivation in life to learn aside from logical and logic lacking meaning renders it pointless.

It would be a still picture void of life.

Fuck That! Lol!! :p

It's a BS scenario because you're contemplating instituting this "ideal" world after experiencing pain in this one.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a BS scenario because you're contemplating instituting this "ideal" world after experiencing pain in this one.

How do you figure ? If everything was one color, you wouldn't appreciate it because you'd know nothing different. I don't want that. I want choice. And dichotomies provide choice.