User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Nature is harsh, but we have more power than we imagine to counter its effects on ourselves and especially one another. It's easier to create civil/interpersonal systems in imitation of it because hope is hard to maintain long enough to carry a big plan into the implementation phase. It is not always harmful to delay actualization of an original idea, but the motivations for such a delay beg as close philosophical scrutiny as the idea does. Fatiguing feeling (Jungian feeling) out of existence isn't what bureaucracy is for.

Agree on expectation being pain, but solving the problem internally shouldn't be an excuse to keep that solving power to oneself. Not that anyone suggested that, but responding relationally to RW's thought about letting the world burn in inner peace.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Misty View Post
    Agree on expectation being pain, but solving the problem internally shouldn't be an excuse to keep that solving power to oneself. Not that anyone suggested that, but responding relationally to RW's thought about letting the world burn in inner peace.
    I don't have a problem with inner peace (in regards to meditative-states), but what I do have a problem with is inner peace in regards to the world at large and all of its problems. Internalize the solution first, and then unleash it.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

[Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

"Should you shield the canyons from the windstorms you would never see the true beauty of their carvings." Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

According to some, pain and suffering helps us grow spiritually. For example, if you suffer from physical pain or a major loss in your life, that'll help you develop compassion for others in a similar situation.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If life didn't suck sometimes, how would you appreciate it when it didn't?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Because without it we would not exist for long: pain is a biological mechanism to prevent us from dying or accidentally killing ourselves. It indicates where wounds are and alerts us that we need to take extra care of them.

Perhaps the world is much the same.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Because without it we would not exist for long: pain is a biological mechanism to prevent us from dying or accidentally killing ourselves. It indicates where wounds are and alerts us that we need to take extra care of them.

Perhaps the world is much the same.
    When the food's done cooking and the buzzer goes off, no pain is required. So why should life be?

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Maybe life is painful, because you focus on how painful it is. I don't focus on pain, so I don't see life as painful. Or maybe I'm just an insensitive bastard.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    When the food's done cooking and the buzzer goes off, no pain is required. So why should life be?
    When the food is done cooking, the buzzer goes off. The joy of anticipation of pleasure and the fear of the pain of hunger moves one to eat. No pain, no pleasure, no getting your ass off the couch to get your Hot Pocket. You starve and you don't care.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    That's true, but that's a learned response. We know to associate buzzer with food being done because we've observed it many times and there is generally not a significantly deleterious consequence for not responding correctly. On the other hand, if you don't attend to your gashed leg quickly, you will die. It has to be unpleasant because you don't get a second chance.

I guess I just see it as something that evolved to help us survive more than something that was intentionally inflicted upon us, so I don't feel too much despair over it. It sucks but it wasn't something engineered to make my life unbearable.