• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Happiness More Important Than Truth?

Mole

Permabanned
Actually I think Georgia was the only American colony that truly served as a penal colony for debtors and criminals.

To quote a favorite movie of mine:
"A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as "our rebellion." It is only in the third person - "their rebellion" - that it becomes illegal."

I understand Britain sent about 2,000 convicts a year to nine settlements in what was to become the USA from 1610 to 1776.

But after your violent revolution in 1776 Britain sent convicts to Australia from 1788 to 1868.

Alea_iacta_est

I understand Britain sent about 2,000 convicts a year to nine settlements in what was to become the USA from 1610 to 1776.

But after your violent revolution in 1776 Britain sent convicts to Australia from 1788 to 1868.

But Georgia was actually created as a buffer state between the American Colonies and Spanish Florida to halt Spanish expansion in the Southeast region of the continental US and had no economical usage since South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia were exporting surpluses of cash crops, so in the grand scheme of British Mercantilism, Georgia was the only American colony that was built to be sort of a penal colony (as there was no other use for it besides halting the Spanish and it needed a population). 2,000 convicts a year seems to me to be sort of inflated, does this estimate include debtors and indentured servants as criminals?

á´…eparted

passages
Ultimately, truth matters more than happiness. Of course both conditions aren't mutually exclusive. However it's rather often that truth is snuffed for the sake of happiness and that can cause problems. There are times where it's ok to do so, and there are times where I take my head and stuff it in le proverbial pile of sand so I stop feeling bad. We all need a dose of "out of sight out of mind" once and a while. Everyone needs to be able to balance between happiness and truth. Purity on either end of the spectrum lends to problems.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I don't think that functioning because of a held illlusion is actually functioning. It's a ghost operating the machine when I don't believe in ghosts.

But the ignoble truth is that even though I hold that principle and am ready to face reality when given the choice between it and comfort, it is necessary to be searching proactively for truth and as such catch the choice in its various disguises. If asleep, I will drift in the direction of least resistance. I know this because if I were a truth seeker all the way through to the unconscious, valid criticism wouldn't sting. So, tent poles + eyelids = luv.

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually I think Georgia was the only American colony that truly served as a penal colony for debtors and criminals.

To quote a favorite movie of mine:
"A rebellion is always legal in the first person, such as "our rebellion." It is only in the third person - "their rebellion" - that it becomes illegal."

So THIS explains all the riff raff living there! :dry: lol! I'm just teasing. >.<

NK258

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I personally feel truth supersedes happiness as the latter void of the former, is false. I prefer true happiness. It sounds like it might taste better to my mind. :)

Mole

Permabanned
But Georgia was actually created as a buffer state between the American Colonies and Spanish Florida to halt Spanish expansion in the Southeast region of the continental US and had no economical usage since South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia were exporting surpluses of cash crops, so in the grand scheme of British Mercantilism, Georgia was the only American colony that was built to be sort of a penal colony (as there was no other use for it besides halting the Spanish and it needed a population). 2,000 convicts a year seems to me to be sort of inflated, does this estimate include debtors and indentured servants as criminals?

What is fascinating is that the USA had a highly successful bourgeois revolution in 1776, and this alerted Americans to the power of revolution.

So they knew the possible power of a proletarian revolution. And so fought a Cold War to make sure a proletarian revolution did not displace their bourgeois revolution.

Cygnus

What is fascinating is that the USA had a highly successful bourgeois revolution in 1776, and this alerted Americans to the power of revolution.

So they knew the possible power of a proletarian revolution. And so fought a Cold War to make sure a proletarian revolution did not displace their bourgeois revolution.

Bourgeois? Not just Nationalist? Do elaborate.

Mole

Permabanned
Bourgeois? Not just Nationalist? Do elaborate.

Society was divided into Royalty and the Aristocracy, the Bourgeoisie, and the Proletariate.

And the Bourgeoisie were the owners of property.

And so in 1776 the Bourgeoisie of the USA mounted a violent and succesful revolution against Royalty and the Aristocracy.

There has been no futher revolution in the USA by the Proletariate so the Bourgeoisie remain in power.

By contrast in Oz we united a whole Continent without killing anyone, and we gained our Independence without killing anyone. One of the interesting results of our peaceful evolution is that we inherited a civil society with the manners and mores of the Aristocracy, which are a love of the outdoors, brutality, egalitarianism, and a jealousy of tall poppies, as well as the peaceful resolution of conflict.