First 1234 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

NO
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I understand your first sentence, but I can't quite make the leap to the second one. I'm not sure if you find it tiresome/unpleasant to explain yourself to the slower students, but I would appreciate it if you did.
    Delusion is the easy way out from a difficult or impossible situation. So while delusion may be understandable it is less than we can be.

Our dignity depends on our integrity and courage.

And while we don't expect many to have integrity and courage, we recognise that those who do have a dignity appropriate for the free and equal.

Dignity means standing on one's own two feet like a mensch and not leaning on a delusion like a weasel or a stoat.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Happiness= Mortgages, debt and the longing to be the best person in your community to impress others, so "the sheep" will look up to you when the majority don't give a Fuck as you continue to care of the opinions others have of you to continue building up your ego.

Truth: You know who you are and what you are capable off. You don't feel like you need to do anything because you don't really care about how others perceive you. You're not living your life for them you're living your life for yourself. Since you no longer feel like you need to do anything you do what you want to do. Your want's can be anything from writing a screen-play/doing stand up to helping out children and the elderly. (There is so much possibilities that I don't want to count them all and give you guys a concrete number) This brings in true happiness since it is what you desired/wanted to do not something you felt obliged to do.

The Truth brings in true happiness while "Happiness" is an illusion that you force yourself to live in.
    I live with the Truth, to have common sense (to be humble because I know I'm not the shit and to perceive the world for what it is in curiosity always questioning the world around me and myself) which is so rare these days that I'm confident in calling myself a Super Hero.

WALMART

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    NO
    +1
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I've learned to appreciate the parts of the "truth" that I consider positive and accept the parts of the "truth" that I consider negative. You can't have light without darkness after all. Plus life wouldn't feel as satisfying if you were constantly happy. It'd be like riding a roller coaster without the ups and downs or twists and turns.

At the end of the day though, I'd rather be able to say "I lived a happy life" on my deathbed instead of "I was right."
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Happiness and truth eh?

Can one perhaps find happiness in truth? Even if truth is not always pleasant? The only thing I can say for existential revelations is that they only reveal our ignorance, not necessarily a truth towards insignificance or significance, as what defines those concepts is always human and always of our own construction.

Given what we know scientifically, of the reality our senses claim is real, in a literal sense we could be seen as insignificant from a point of size in an extremely vast uni....or possibly multiverse. But I suspect we are the only ones keeping tabs on that kind of significance...yknow? Since it involves us and we are the only ones who care about us....well as far as I know anyhow.

As for a more descartian viewpoint, that is one which presents more of an issue for an individual considering happiness and truth. There are no actual clues as to what really exists and it is a conundrum which may plague us as a species for as long as we exist.

One of the few truths I can grasp with my limited ability to understand this line of thinking, is that we don't really know what truth actually is, we can empirically bring an answer to our outward, sensory environment and pick apart it's makeup in our own definitions which work for us, but even then those definitions are for our usage.

Essentially it's just an enormous amount of personal perception and distortion and maybe that is the only real truth about our species. I wouldn't presume that an apparently happy person had not necessarily considered the thoughts outlined in this thread, a large amount of it is sometimes accepting that we might not know something, even if it comes back to itch at our minds continually, and the drive for truth in that mess can be incredibly frustrating.

So sometimes, I don't think it is always bad to put aside apparent truth for an acceptance that we cannot be quite certain and perhaps get some brief enjoyment out of our small existences....as long as there is not an imbalance too far in a singular direction and truth or happiness are being denied outright to the harm of ourselves or others.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I don't judge if people lack introspection and deep thought in general unless it affects other people negatively. I think whatever works for someone is what they should do, while being responsible for the consequences of their actions.

As for myself, I always seek truth, but this never puts me in conflict with happiness because knowing truth makes me happy and my happiness is not dependent upon certain states of reality.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I personally fail to see the dichotomy.

To me truth is paramount to happiness. The phrase 'ingorance is bliss' has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I would argue that such blissful happiness is delusional happiness and therefor not true happiness at all.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    As for myself, I always seek truth, but this never puts me in conflict with happiness because knowing truth makes me happy and my happiness is not dependent upon certain states of reality.
    Well, what if the truth is incredibly unpleasant? What if your most profound fears turned out to be true, and you discovered that the reality you are in is one so horrifying, that you would find it difficult to simply go on?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I personally fail to see the dichotomy.

To me truth is paramount to happiness. The phrase 'ingorance is bliss' has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I would argue that such blissful happiness is delusional happiness and therefor not true happiness at all.
    Yes, but does it really matter if what some people experience as "happiness" is really "fake happiness", assuming they don't know the difference?