• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Unitarian Universalism controlling in any way?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am using a wii, so replies will be brief. I am leaving the JW cult, and I want to be sure UU isn't another mind-control cult. UU sounds good so far...maybe too good...

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I honestly dont know. When you told me about UU I kinda confused it with the Hare Krishna, which is more of cult.

Why do you want organised religion, after what you've been through? Not saying every organized religion is a cult, as you know thats not the case. However maybe you need a break?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The UUs are just about as uncontrolling as it gets. You can believe anything or nothing. My husband was raised UU.

gromit

likes this
Yeah I grew up with a lot of unitarians in my hometown... they are pretty much as laid-back as it comes...

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am a UU member and it is probably the only religious organization I could ever belong to. There are theists, agnostics, atheists, pagans, and pantheists. It's very humanistic, which I love. There really isn't anything controlling about it. The members tend to be more politically liberal, but I haven't found anyone to be too pushy when it comes to politics. A diversity of spiritual paths is encouraged. Some members can be too idealistic, but you have than just about anywhere to some extent. Overall though, they are a pretty laid back bunch. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's probably the only church I would ever attend.

B

beyondaurora

If I liked the idea of "church", I'd go to a UU one. I did try it last year, and it was refreshing to see so many traditions and perspectives honored. There wasn't anything that I perceived to be controlling about the message.

G

Ginkgo

The UUs are just about as uncontrolling as it gets. You can believe anything or nothing. My husband was raised UU.

Basically this ^

The only form of control they employ is to worship in a similar vein as they do, which essentially borrows from Protestant traditions.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thank you for the input.
I just wanted to know that there are good groups out there.
It seems like something I would try someday, though I may try to wait a while...after being controlled so long, I really DO need a break.
I am going to be gone a long time again, as I am going to be alone less...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good luck with everything.

I agree with what people have said about the UUs (and I've been in many various Christian denoms, although UU is far broader and accepting of many various faiths and extols teachings from all of them during services... ).

I know the pathway out of a controlling environment can be confusing and difficult, especially just when trying to recalibrate truth. I wish you the best and don't be afraid to lean on people here and elsewhere, in the process of figuring out where you want to go next.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
UU is a good environment for seekers. Some UU congregations are similar to the mainline protestants (methodists, presbyterians, etc.) but most bring in a much broader range of spiritual and theological material. Very little is off-limits, your questions will be taken seriously, and you will not be judged for your beliefs. Of course, all church groups are made up of people, so no guarantee you won't run into a few pushy people, or a congregation a bit set in their ways. If so, just go down the road to the next UU church.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
UU is a good environment for seekers. Some UU congregations are similar to the mainline protestants (methodists, presbyterians, etc.) but most bring in a much broader range of spiritual and theological material. Very little is off-limits, your questions will be taken seriously, and you will not be judged for your beliefs. Of course, all church groups are made up of people, so no guarantee you won't run into a few pushy people, or a congregation a bit set in their ways. If so, just go down the road to the next UU church.

what a relief.

two cents

MBTI Type
INFJ
The only way UU can be construed as controlling is that they are so militantly wishy-washy, they might go as far as giving you a dirty look if you seem too certain of something.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The only way UU can be construed as controlling is that they are so militantly wishy-washy, they might go as far as giving you a dirty look if you seem too certain of something.

:cheers:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Lol...

[serious or joking?]

two cents

MBTI Type
INFJ
Lol...

[serious or joking?]

100% serious about their attitude, but framed in a joke form (because I personally find such attitudes silly/frustrating/irritating, but recognize that sometimes they are just what the doctor ordered).

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
100% serious about their attitude, but framed in a joke form (because I personally find such attitudes silly/frustrating/irritating, but recognize that sometimes they are just what the doctor ordered).

cute avatar

inventor

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
I am using a wii, so replies will be brief. I am leaving the JW cult, and I want to be sure UU isn't another mind-control cult. UU sounds good so far...maybe too good...

Good for you, I'm stuck with Jws at the moment because of family.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good for you, I'm stuck with Jws at the moment because of family.

I am stuck, too. The rest of my family is JW. I am simply planning what to do next...