User Tag List

Thread: Boredom

Socionics
    ILI

Default Boredom

Boredom is a very strange state that seems to serve no purpose on the surface. There is no particular biological advantage for boredom, for it encourages the afflicted to go against survival instincts in an effort to experience stimulation, such as leaving shelter to merely find something interesting in what could be perceived as a hostile environment where conflict awaits. Therefore, one may conclude that boredom is biologically useless for surviving and in some cases detrimental, but if this were so, why would we possess such a detriment to our survival? Perhaps boredom is a way for the unconscious to remind the wandering mind that there is an environment to be interacted with, or perhaps boredom is meant to give us motivation for doing tasks that would seem unbearable to a mind that isn't bored. Looking deeper, however, boredom might be the reminder that surviving isn't all there is to life, that one should not live life merely to live, but to live life to live -- to experience, to appreciate, and to explore rather than to merely idle away at mundane chores such as collecting water, hunting prey, and seeking shelter. Is one's survival truly necessary if one does nothing but survive? How nihilistic would this universe be for the purpose of living to simply be to survive?

I would like to thank my own boredom for motivating me to write about it to alleviate itself.

WALMART

Driven out from home

By the wills of our psyche

Why does time stagnate?

To produce, that drive

All of which has origin

Ourselves have been primed

IM HANGEN OWT WIT DEH HYPSTERZ LULOLLMFAOOMFG I'M SO COOL

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I don't think boredom is useless, so much as it is a consequence of biology.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Ginkgo

If you take something for granted, you grow bored and search for idle forms of amusement and mischief. They will remain idle until something strongly piques your interest again. I think that even monotonous activities can be seen from new, inspiring angles, given the correct impetus. Sometimes I feel bored, but I make a conscious effort not to blame the state of affairs, since there is so much, even in the simplest thing, that I do not fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    Boredom is a very strange state that seems to serve no purpose on the surface. There is no particular biological advantage for boredom, for it encourages the afflicted to go against survival instincts in an effort to experience stimulation, such as leaving shelter to merely find something interesting in what could be perceived as a hostile environment where conflict awaits. Therefore, one may conclude that boredom is biologically useless for surviving and in some cases detrimental, but if this were so, why would we possess such a detriment to our survival? Perhaps boredom is a way for the unconscious to remind the wandering mind that there is an environment to be interacted with, or perhaps boredom is meant to give us motivation for doing tasks that would seem unbearable to a mind that isn't bored. Looking deeper, however, boredom might be the reminder that surviving isn't all there is to life, that one should not live life merely to live, but to live life to live -- to experience, to appreciate, and to explore rather than to merely idle away at mundane chores such as collecting water, hunting prey, and seeking shelter. Is one's survival truly necessary if one does nothing but survive? How nihilistic would this universe be for the purpose of living to simply be to survive?

I would like to thank my own boredom for motivating me to write about it to alleviate itself.
    Gee, it sure is boring around here...

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

One possible evolutionary advantage may be that bored people screw more often so they produce more offspring. Perhaps this is why western industrialized societies have such low birth rates; there is so much more to do than farming/hunting.

I was told that the gene(s) for albinism get passed down because albinos stay indoors and when they're indoors, they have a lot more sex relative to the people who have to work outside, so they produce more offspring.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.