User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: True and False

Socionics
    ILI

Default True and False

Is it safer to assume that all things are true until proven untrue, or is it safer to assume that all things are false until proven true?
    Or are neither safer and they are merely a reiteration of the glass half full/glass half empty perception?

I think the safety of the decision comes from how that statement will be applied.

Assumptions, whether they are assuming something is true or assuming something is false, ought to be tested before relying upon them for something important.

My preference would be not to assume either, if possible. Unfortunately, we aren't blank slates. We will all have biases and assumptions, and it is probably better to have them stated explicitly and then tested, than hidden and untested.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

What do you mean by "safe" and "proof"? Generally, I'd say don't assume anything until you've collected as much information as you can about the thing in question.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Fusion View Post
    What do you mean by "safe" and "proof"? Generally, I'd say don't assume anything until you've collected as much information as you can about the thing in question.
    The whole idea behind archiving massive amounts of information in large part to analyze whether or not something is "real" or 'true" to me seems somewhat empty of personal meaning and significance.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Haha, just like a Judger. There is a such thing as yet-to-be-determined.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    The whole idea behind archiving massive amounts of information in large part to analyze whether or not something is "real" or 'true" to me seems somewhat empty of personal meaning and significance.
    What does "personal meaning and significance" have to do with it?

PS: Don't become a scientist.

MBTI
    INTP

False until proven true.

I've spent my adult life trying to undo all the crap that I was conditioned by society to believe was true. The problem is our inherent need to grab hold of something. If we didn't, it would feel like we might as well know nothing at all sometimes.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Fusion View Post
    What does "personal meaning and significance" have to do with it?

PS: Don't become a scientist.
    Much of our greatest innovation and fantastic productions have come from the boundless imagination, wit what's important to us and gives life a whole new magical twist! And I also believe that the truth can be used for gathering "building blocks" for the grand fictional schemes!

Socionics
    ILI

I think I may have been too general about this,

Is it better to not trust new information entirely solely based on the fact that it is new and unexplored or is it better to readily accept new information and augment the entire concept to incorporate the new information, then exploring the new information later?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Much of our greatest innovation and fantastic productions have come from the boundless imagination, wit what's important to us and gives life a whole new magical twist! And I also believe that the truth can be used for gathering "building blocks" for the grand fictional schemes!
    I agree that the imagination is important - it's especially useful for sparking your curiosity and making you wonder what could be (or even about impossible things, which is fun). I'm a fantasy and sci-fi novelist (not professional, but I've written books haha), so I certainly have nothing against boundless imagination.

But the imagination needs external information to work, and if its ideas are to be taken as truth (if anything can) they need to be tested if possible.