• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your top 10 favorite Philosophers

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Schopenhauer
Kant
Nietzsche
Kierkegaard
Ayn Rand
Sartre
Camus
Wittgenstein
*Goethe

[MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION]

Last edited:
W

WALMART

1. Buddha
2. Yagyu Munenori
3. John Keegan
4. Stephen King
5. Che Guevara (?)
6. Reader's Digest 1988 Fix-It-Yourself series (?!?)

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Jesus Christ
2. Socrates
3. Jon Stewart (?)
4. David Hume
5. Thomas Hobbes
6. John Locke
7. Diogenes the Dog
8. Solomon-Ecclesiastes
9. Ludwig Wittgenstein
10. Rene Descartes

ygolo

My termites win
I don't know if anyone else has the feeling of making up answers when somebody asks you what your favorites are, but I always did. But I will attempt to answer according to the philosophies of people that have influenced my own philosophy the most (I know the people on the list aren't usually considered philosophers):

1. My mother, in terms of philosophy towards life. She taught me to be a gentle pragmatist in life. This is my predominant attitude.
  2. My father, same. He taught me when to stand my ground, and the value of being an educated person. This shaped the way I maneuver in the world and accomplish things.
  3. Krishna, as his philosophy is written in the Bhagavad Gita and more spiritually in the Hamsa Gita. This philosophy forms my Teleology in the universe of meaning, symbols, and metaphor. But still somehow very practical.
  4. Mohandas Gandhi, especially his notion of Satyagraha. This philosophy is my ideal for overcoming social resistance.
  5. My very first boss as a professional. I aim to emulate his drive and passion.
  6. My current research adviser. I aim to emulate his clarity, and insight.
  7. Richard Feynman's philosophy of science. I think he is a better philosopher of science than Popper, Bacon, or even Einstein (the original Philosopher-Scientist). I aim to emulate his approach to science. I aim to make science my profession.
  8. Albert Einstein's philosophy on how science ought to be used. A noted and outspoken pacifist. He, more than any other of his era, struggled with the devastation that discoveries could unleash. I think he highlighted in very general terms, the ethical problems any scientist must face. I believe all of scientists should at least start off in his pacifist stance.
  9. R. Buckminister Fuller. Although the details of my vision differ from his. I have, in some sense, adopted his Critical Path, to be mine. This drives my purpose for what I want to do in science and technology.
  10. Gautama Buddha. I am still learning. I am not seeking enlightenment, but believe there is something to be learned about balance and being centered that I could sorely use in my life right now.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Tom Montalk
2. Giordano Bruno
3. Hermes Trismegistus
4. Ken Wilber
5. Nikola Tesla
6. Friedrich Nietzsche
7. Giovanni Mirandola
8. Gottfried Leibniz
9. [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION]
10. [MENTION=8595]Zang[/MENTION]

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
plato
aristotle
alan watts
nietzsche
kant
lao tzu
sartre
krishnamurti
rousseau
einstein

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
National Geographic... the pictures made me so curious about the world around me and hungry to learn so much more about it and the variety of different people and cultures that exist and they just looked at them and showed how awesome everything out there is and interesting and worthy of being appreciated. The world is a completely fascinating place and I can't shake the fact that I still think that it's worthy of staring at agape like some sort of hick who wandered into the big city and saw skyscrapers for the first time

New York Times food section- sure, it may be elitist at times, but the descriptions of foods that I may not try otherwise in a manner that made them sound fascinating and mouthwatering has led me to try a lot of things, food and otherwise, that I may not have otherwise... what's there to lose? Sometimes the place you secretly suspect fails health inspections has the ribs that you'd run your grandmother over for... and you can apply that metaphorically :yes:

Reader's Digest collection of fairy tales (in something like 10 volumes)- my grandmother owned a copy and I always borrowed them... the universality of stories and how they cross cultures and how they move fluidly over time... it just shows how humanity is interwoven in a way

Borges- the worlds that he created and the possibilities that he suggested... so much is possible. The human mind is amazing :shock:

Walter Reuther- if you believe in something fucking stick to it... and be clever. A little emotional manipulation for a good cause is nothing to be ashamed of. However, you're an asshole if your causes only focus on yourself... if you don't care to make the lives of others a bit more worth living it doesn't matter how nice you are, you're a shitty person. And anger can be useful. (yay for high school biography projects!)

Studs Terkel- listen :holy:

Anna Jorovic

MBTI Type
INTP
Not sure who'd be in my top 10 (that's a lot). But I know Descartes wouldn't. Karl Pilkington is more likely to get in my list. :D

Nicodemus

I am only doing six because I really cannot pretend to have favorites beyond these. Like [MENTION=15318]Nights and Days[/MENTION], I would add Nicodemus to (the top of) the list, but since this is kind of self-evident, I will not.

01. Arthur Schopenhauer
02. Friedrich Nietzsche
03. Emil Cioran
04. Richard Rorty
05. Ferdinando Galiani
06. Odo Marquard

There are a few writers I could add, but perhaps that should be (or already is) a topic for another thread.