User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Is this hell?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    @Rasofy, so reams of polyester going into landfill and the destruction of our bodies through the consumption of sugar and caffiene are reasons to celebrate....kay.
    Point is you're hyper focusing on the negative and basically disregarding the positive. Aka Ni tunnel vision.

To put things into perspective, my idea of Hell involves consecutive medieval torture sessions, so I can say our world is pretty good in comparison. Like, almost paradise.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

So given that I live in this place, surrounded by the most dangerous species on the planet (by order of unpredictability and tendency towards violence) what is the difference between this and the mythical hell?
    Let's start with the obvious - what is the difference for you between this and mythical heaven?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFJ

Well, if I wanted to hairsplit, I'd say mythical hell had a much more colorful description. But I don't, particularly.

Yeah, I also think reality is a pretty hellish place. People are a part of why it's hellish, but if you keep zooming out, it doesn't seem to get better. It's fractally wrong.

What's the solution? Who the hell knows. Personally, I don't think there is one. As far as philosophies go, Existentialism is pretty much on the money in this respect. I can't say I hold with its prescriptions though (or maybe I just can't muster them).

It's up to you to figure out what to do with your realization. You could join the rest of humanity (but you should be aware that you probably never completely left) or you could try to stake out some moral high ground for yourself. I tried the latter, and came to realize I was just blowing smoke up my own ass. So I stopped trying so hard (but not completely). Maybe one of these days I'll think of something that actually works for me. Hopefully you will too.
    And that's my two cents on the subject.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Hell has Maroon 5 on the radio, without interruption. And you can't turn it off, like the telescreens in 1984
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Cygnus liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Point is you're hyper focusing on the negative and basically disregarding the positive. Aka Ni tunnel vision.
    But once you emerge free from the tunnel, the entire horizon opens up before your gaze, free for our limitless explorations and expansions! So basically, it all begins with building the vision, and then once we get there, the vision is in a sense wrought into realization by presenting the new grandiose worldview.

To put things into perspective, my idea of Hell involves consecutive medieval torture sessions, so I can say our world is pretty good in comparison. Like, almost paradise.
    Don't forget that Hell comes in a wide variety of levels. Perhaps we've just risen above the worst of it, but we're also still very much within its boundaries. We must transcend the Matrix Control System! This shall be initiated by breaking our chains and unleashing untold chaos to conquer the game!

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post

I'm focusing on that which occurs with greatest frequency within my experience on the subject of people. Thats not to say there arent loads of things about existence I enjoy immensely, there are, humanity just isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    You live in the place you create. We create our own hells by choosing perspectives/lifestyles that guarantee our personal misery. You aren't feeling miserable because of other people. You are feeling miserable because you have chosen this perspective on people.
    The above excerpt is undeniably wise! Superb post!

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Hell has Maroon 5 on the radio, without interruption. And you can't turn it off, like the telescreens in 1984
    Yes

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by two cents View Post

It's up to you to figure out what to do with your realization. You could join the rest of humanity (but you should be aware that you probably never completely left) or you could try to stake out some moral high ground for yourself. I tried the latter, and came to realize I was just blowing smoke up my own ass. So I stopped trying so hard (but not completely). Maybe one of these days I'll think of something that actually works for me. Hopefully you will too.
    This. Yes normal existence is hell in some form or another no matter how many happy stickers you want to put on it. The question really is, what do you do now that you know you're already there? Need to think on this one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    You live in the place you create. We create our own hells by choosing perspectives/lifestyles that guarantee our personal misery. You aren't feeling miserable because of other people. You are feeling miserable because you have chosen this perspective on people.
    No offense but I strongly disagree with this idea. I've heard it many times before. Basically what you are saying is that one should delude oneself in order to cope with things. To put it into the extreme : maybe we can all "shift our perspective" on things and then the Nazi's will seem like a bunch of harmless supertroopers. Some people are dicks no matter what colored glasses you're wearing.

The main root of frustrations lies within expectations, not perspective. We all have a tendency to expect that things go as planned, and they usually don't. We are even brought up with the idea that we will be happy. Ludicrous ! Expect the unexpected and you will be less disappointed. Great expectations lead to great disappointments.

And another thing : I don't know what world you're living in, but in this one a lot of people are born in poverty and they die in poverty, to name just one more source of misery. Saying that we choose our own hell is incredibly ignorant. But yeah, that probably goes for the odd rich kid that decides to get hooked on smack, but that's hardly representative.

MBTI
    INFJ

This. Yes normal existence is hell in some form or another no matter how many happy stickers you want to put on it. The question really is, what do you do now that you know you're already there? Need to think on this one.
    Yeah, well, since this particular hell is not eternal, my go-to solution is suicide. However, since I'm not talking to you from beyond, I clearly haven't committed to that solution yet. I figure the way things stand, I have the option of pulling the trigger (and it's comforting that the escape is at least available), but I could maybe try other things first.
    And that's my two cents on the subject.