First 1234 Last

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Why does tradition always get lumped in with closed mindedness? you can prefer traditions (whether they be cultural or personal) without being a closed minded bigot who wants to make everyone do things the same way.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    why should I answer you? I'm stupid according to you.
    Noooo, I apologize. You could pretend I'm someone else though!
    4w5-9w1-5w4

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I believe in science and the Bible. I can simultaneously hold two conflicting beliefs reasonably well. Truth can exist on different levels and in different parts of the brain.

I can understand why people would choose to be vegetarians or even vegans. It's not something I have chosen, but I can respect the choice and I don't think it's a bad choice. The cruelty bothers me and as I can afford to buy cruelty-free food, I will, but I prioritize humans over animals and there is much cruelty against both in this world.

Politics are important to me, though I have doubts that voting is terribly effective because I believe, in the US, most politicians are owned by the same people. I do not understand how someone would not care, but I accept that some people do not.

I believe in God, but it's not like we can know one way or another, so it's reasonable to me that people could come to a different conclusion on the matter than I have.

Traditions are cool in theory, but a lot of times they are a lot of work and specifically, a lot of work for the mom and/or wife, which I am, so I'd just as soon keep a lot of them low-key because I'm not what you'd call a work horse. I do like the ones that involve eating out as long as it's not Valentine's Day or Mother's Day because I am not fond of crowds or waiting in line. And I like excuses to buy myself stuff.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Why does tradition always get lumped in with closed mindedness? you can prefer traditions (whether they be cultural or personal) without being a closed minded bigot who wants to make everyone do things the same way.
    It gets lumped together because the type of people that are accused of being close minded are supposedly only following tradition.

ie: religion (just because they were raised that way,) diet (just because it's what they were raised on,) politics (just because they were only exposed to that side,) etc...

When people do things just because it's the way it's always been done...it sounds a lot like tradition. Actually I think it pretty much is the negative connation that tradition has.

Yes, one can prefer traditions without being close minded if one has examined whether they really like the tradition or whether they're just following the tradition blindly just because they don't like change.

Close mindedness is associated with not wanting change.

And yea @ the OP nobody needs to try to assert "non-change" or change for that matter on others, but it still happens. If you're comfortable with the beliefs you've chosen or accepted you for who you are, then other peoples' assertions shouldn't matter.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    It gets lumped together because the type of people that are accused of being close minded are supposedly only following tradition.
    ie: religion (just because they were raised that way,) diet (just because it's what they were raised on,) politics (just because they were only exposed to that side,) etc...
    When people do things just because it's the way it's always been done...it sounds a lot like tradition. Actually I think it pretty much is the negative connation that tradition has.
    Yes, one can prefer traditions without being close minded if one has examined whether they really like the tradition or whether they're just following the tradition blindly just because they don't like change.
    Close mindedness is associated with not wanting change.
    And yea @ the OP nobody needs to try to assert "non-change" or change for that matter on others, but it still happens. If you're comfortable with the beliefs you've chosen or accepted you for who you are, then other peoples' assertions shouldn't matter.
    it shouldn't be. not unless the change is something important and their current way of life is irrational (for instance, Jim Crow in the south). change takes a lot of physical and mental energy and, unless the benefits are substantial, it's often not worth the effort (and this is coming from an Ne dom)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    it shouldn't be. not unless the change is something important and their current way of life is irrational (for instance, Jim Crow in the south). change takes a lot of physical and mental energy and, unless the benefits are substantial, it's often not worth the effort (and this is coming from an Ne dom)
    I know what you mean, but I do believe people should examine what they do and not just continue believing things just because their parents said so.

And that's another problem, it has a negative connotation because people also associate not putting energy into something either lazy, or means they don't care.

So with your example how is the person supposed to know if their view on Jim Crow is irrational if they never examine it?

If they don't examine that belief then nothing is telling them that it's wrong to continue to carry out the belief that their parents (or surrounding neighbors or whoever) had about segregation.

MBTI
    yupp

my personal beliefs for my self is no tatoos or piercings though it's totally fine if you want or have any of those. I have no tattoos or piercings not even my ears are pierced. I like meat but I would never force anyone who was against it or didn't like it to consume it. my philosophy is live and let live. I believe in evolution but I believe something created the universe I don't know what. I'm not religious but working on my spirtuality. I believe in Aliens the universe is to big imo to be the only planet withl life on it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Ah, I remember when I was 14. Good times.

MBTI
    yupp

I finally read the op in entirety and I must say it seems as though you're trying to shove down your views on vegetarianism down people's throats which is making youseem cclosed minded. people aren't fond of being told what they should believe.aggressively.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I know what you mean, but I do believe people should examine what they do and not just continue believing things just because their parents said so.

And that's another problem, it has a negative connotation because people also associate not putting energy into something either lazy, or means they don't care.
    The funny thing to me about the whole tradition-mindless relationship is that I feel like typically I am the lazy sort that would not keep doing things just because they were done. So generally, for me to participate in a tradition, I would have to have made the decision at some point that it is worth energy investment, which means that I would have put some degree of thought into it. It is often its own counterbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I believe in science and the Bible. I can simultaneously hold two conflicting beliefs reasonably well. Truth can exist on different levels and in different parts of the brain.
    Yes, this one gets me, too. I am not sure science is really something "believed in", either... it is a process of logic, not a belief persay. I typically think of belief existing on a different plane than logical deduction or induction. Of course the two can contradict, but they can also be in synchrony.