• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

tearing down other's belief.systems.(rant)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
seriously if it gives them meaning and you have to sit.there and go bla blah blah you're beliefs are wrong screw you. it.doesn't matter because religious beliefs aren't about what is actuallu correct its about something else. religion has changed over the.last.few.millennia it's gonna.change.again and.at.the end of the day all that matters is if people are happy when it comes to religion or spirituality. yes I know there's a difference between the two. and if you're a religious or spiritual person and you're trying.to get an atheist to believe screw you to

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
Alternatively, it's not easy to for people to doubt their own beliefs, but that's not reason enough for people not to try to prove the strength or weakness of those beliefs. The advancement of knowledge, which necessarily involves critique, is harder to do than faith-based belief alone, and in no small measure due to resistance.

Mole

Permabanned
Three thousand years ago the Ancient Greek philosopher, Socrates, taught us, the unexamined life is not worth living.

And so the first thing to examine is our religious beliefs.

However religious beliefs are shared and so when we examine our own religious beliefs, we threaten the religious beliefs of others who are likely to be offended.

However under liberal democracy we have free speech where we are allowed to offend the beliefs of others.

And so the OIC (Organisation of Islamic Co-operation), consisting of 57 Islamic nations, has tried to make offending the beliefs of others an international crime at the United Nations.

Mole

Permabanned
For those with a more truth-based focus, just make sure that you don't destroy the imagination.

Here's an example of a truth-seeker by the way. - http://montalk.net/about/50/site-faq

The imagination is just as important as reality.

Art, the movies, novels, ballet, opera, the theatre, and religion are not possible without imagination.

However it is vital we learn to distinguish between imagination and reality, and this is just what children do when they play.

The temptation is to fail to subject the imagination to a reality check. And this is the temptation we give into on Typology Central where we let our imaginations run with mbti with no reality check.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The imagination is just as important as reality.

Indeed, and perhaps in promise, greater yet.

Art, the movies, novels, ballet, opera, the theatre, and religion are not possible without imagination.

Yes, it all starts mentally. That's where the forge is at.

However it is vital we learn to distinguish between imagination and reality, and this is just what children do when they play.

This is where I'm not as certain; how real is the world of the mind exactly, especially when all of our empiricism is filtered through our imagined perceptions?

The temptation is to fail to subject the imagination to a reality check. And this is the temptation we give into on Typology Central where we let our imaginations run with mbti with no reality check.

I guess for usefulness and clarity of vision, we should indeed test our ideas against the context. But still, the best fictional productions generally aren't what we would call "realistic".

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?
Instinctual Variant
so
seriously if it gives them meaning and you have to sit.there and go bla blah blah you're beliefs are wrong screw you. it.doesn't matter because religious beliefs aren't about what is actuallu correct its about something else. religion has changed over the.last.few.millennia it's gonna.change.again and.at.the end of the day all that matters is if people are happy when it comes to religion or spirituality. yes I know there's a difference between the two. and if you're a religious or spiritual person and you're trying.to get an atheist to believe screw you to
i've been thinking about this lately, prpl. if it's not about what is actually correct (and i think i agree), then what do you think it's about?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I remember reading a very striking passage about belief in Robertson Davies' novel "Fifth Business". I don't remember the exact quote, but essentially, Davies wrote that the Bible is true in the same way that Arabian Nights is. I like that angle.

As for the OP, I totally agree. We have a new employee who is also a youth pastor, and he spends way too much time explaining why Christianity is the only option for anyone who has devoted any amount of thought to it. On the other end, we have this dinky atheist girl, who quotes Richard Dawkins like scripture and ridicules the Christian folk who work there for being "illogical".

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am responsible for tearing down my own beliefs and mine only.

Mole

Permabanned
I am responsible for tearing down my own beliefs and mine only.

But my dear Misty, beliefs are shared. Beliefs don't belong to me only. Beliefs belong to communities of believers.

So when I tear down my own beliefs, I tear down the beliefs of the believing community. And this is naturally seen as anti-social and is punished even today by torture and death in some believing communities.

Unless we are lucky enough to live in a liberal democracy with free speech, where persons are protected by law but not beliefs.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont know, I think you do someone a great service by destroying their illusions. Its a bit like the Matrix, some people dont wanna know the truth, but what about those who do want to know? I dont see anything wrong with telling someone they are wrong, they will beleive what they want anyways.

Mole

Permabanned
I dont know, I think you do someone a great service by destroying their illusions. Its a bit like the Matrix, some people dont wanna know the truth, but what about those who do want to know? I dont see anything wrong with telling someone they are wrong, they will beleive what they want anyways.

Just about forever we believed the Sun went round the Earth, and this is a group illusion.

And if we didn't expose this belief as an illusion, we would still believe the Sun goes round the Earth.

Hypatia, the last great Pagan, and the librarian of the Great Pagan Library of Alexandria, was skinned alive and dragged through the streets of Alexandria by the Christians, for exposing their illusion that the Earth is the centre of God's universe.