User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Question Atheists celebrating Christmas.

I know a lot of atheists- or people who do not believe in God- or the miracle birth of Jesus, who celebrate Christmas.

Trees, lights, presents- the whole nine yards.

This is strange to me.

What gives?
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

That stuff isn't really about Jesus, God, or God's message anyway though.

I celebrated that stuff when I was an atheist.

Now that I've found God, it really doesn't matter much anymore.

It's God's love in action that means something to me now.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't understand why this would be strange to anyone.

The festival itself has separated from its christian "origins" so at to become easily unrelated. I mean, the links between presents/lights/trees/santa clause/reindeer etc and christianity are pretty fricking stretched at this point.

*edit*

We might as well see modern Christmas as an extension of traditional european pagan winter solstice. Wiki article segment:
    Prior to and through the early Christian centuries, winter festivals—especially those centered on the winter solstice—were the most popular of the year in many European pagan cultures. Reasons included the fact that less agricultural work needs to be done during the winter, as well as an expectation of better weather as spring approached.[119] Many modern Christmas customs have been directly influenced by such festivals, including gift-giving and merrymaking from the Roman Saturnalia, greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year, and Yule logs and various foods from Germanic feasts

Notice the content of the very same traditions (present giving etc) you would associate with a christian festival.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    I don't understand why this would be strange to anyone.

The festival itself has separated from its christian "origins" so at to become easily unrelated. I mean, the links between presents/lights/trees/santa clause/reindeer etc and christianity are pretty fricking stretched at this point.

*edit*

We might as well see modern Christmas as an extension of traditional european pagan winter solstice. Wiki article segment:
    Prior to and through the early Christian centuries, winter festivals—especially those centered on the winter solstice—were the most popular of the year in many European pagan cultures. Reasons included the fact that less agricultural work needs to be done during the winter, as well as an expectation of better weather as spring approached.[119] Many modern Christmas customs have been directly influenced by such festivals, including gift-giving and merrymaking from the Roman Saturnalia, greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year, and Yule logs and various foods from Germanic feasts

Notice the content of the very same traditions (present giving etc) you would associate with a christian festival.

This^
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Strictly speaking for myself here:

I grew up in a family that was atheist but also celebrated christmas as a winter holiday that was about about the family being together, treating themselves to good food and showing their love for each other with gifts. Yes, I was told that there was a religious background to the holiday, but in my country 1 in 3 people is not a christian and those that are usually don't take it too seriously. So the general culture I grew up with is one where christmas was the most important holiday of the year but christianity had zero importance among my family and friends and relatively little to society at large.

Now that I am an adult it is mostly about seeing the family and an opportunity to gift those I love or an excuse to get myself stuff I have long had an eye on. Hopefully I will soon have a family of my on and I'll try and let my kids have beautiful memories of cookies and music and decorations and joyous anticipation attached to this season without exposing them to religion.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    I know a lot of atheists- or people who do not believe in God- or the miracle birth of Jesus, who celebrate Christmas.

Trees, lights, presents- the whole nine yards.

This is strange to me.

What gives?
    I would say it's because Christmas, as it exists today anyway in America (I can't comment on other parts of the world), has about as much to do with Christianity as a man-sized bunny dispensing chocolates has anything to do with the Resurrection of Christ.

To us baby-eating-America-hating Secularists, it's about family and giving and watching little ones lose their minds as they get buried under an ocean of presents
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    I would say it's because Christmas, as it exists today anyway in America (I can't comment on other parts of the world), has about as much to do with Christianity as a man-sized bunny dispensing chocolates has anything to do with the Resurrection of Christ.

To us baby-eating-America-hating Secularists, it's about family and giving and watching little ones lose their minds as they get buried under an ocean of presents
    Germany here, and yet: Yes, all of this. Very much so!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I still don't get it guys.

It is clearly celebrating the birth of Christ. Considered a "Savior" to Christians. A life-changing event- the pinnacle event of Christiandom.

Doesn't it seem like people are just jumping on the bandwagon to have the fun stuff- the presents and food and festivities- and that it is a disrespect to Christianity if you outright deny the existance of God and Jesus?

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Germany here, and yet: Yes, all of this. Very much so!
    Glad to see our evil conspiracy to Ruin America(tm) has it's foul tentacles extended all the way across the pond
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Glad to see our evil conspiracy to Ruin America(tm) has it's foul tentacles extended all the way across the pond
    Do it!
    Just give me a place to stay before you dig the claws in!

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8