• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Atheists celebrating Christmas.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know a lot of atheists- or people who do not believe in God- or the miracle birth of Jesus, who celebrate Christmas.

Trees, lights, presents- the whole nine yards.

This is strange to me.

What gives?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That stuff isn't really about Jesus, God, or God's message anyway though.

I celebrated that stuff when I was an atheist.

Now that I've found God, it really doesn't matter much anymore.

It's God's love in action that means something to me now.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand why this would be strange to anyone.

The festival itself has separated from its christian "origins" so at to become easily unrelated. I mean, the links between presents/lights/trees/santa clause/reindeer etc and christianity are pretty fricking stretched at this point.

*edit*

We might as well see modern Christmas as an extension of traditional european pagan winter solstice. Wiki article segment:
Prior to and through the early Christian centuries, winter festivals—especially those centered on the winter solstice—were the most popular of the year in many European pagan cultures. Reasons included the fact that less agricultural work needs to be done during the winter, as well as an expectation of better weather as spring approached.[119] Many modern Christmas customs have been directly influenced by such festivals, including gift-giving and merrymaking from the Roman Saturnalia, greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year, and Yule logs and various foods from Germanic feasts

Notice the content of the very same traditions (present giving etc) you would associate with a christian festival.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't understand why this would be strange to anyone.

The festival itself has separated from its christian "origins" so at to become easily unrelated. I mean, the links between presents/lights/trees/santa clause/reindeer etc and christianity are pretty fricking stretched at this point.

*edit*

We might as well see modern Christmas as an extension of traditional european pagan winter solstice. Wiki article segment:
Prior to and through the early Christian centuries, winter festivals—especially those centered on the winter solstice—were the most popular of the year in many European pagan cultures. Reasons included the fact that less agricultural work needs to be done during the winter, as well as an expectation of better weather as spring approached.[119] Many modern Christmas customs have been directly influenced by such festivals, including gift-giving and merrymaking from the Roman Saturnalia, greenery, lights, and charity from the Roman New Year, and Yule logs and various foods from Germanic feasts

Notice the content of the very same traditions (present giving etc) you would associate with a christian festival.

This^

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Strictly speaking for myself here:

I grew up in a family that was atheist but also celebrated christmas as a winter holiday that was about about the family being together, treating themselves to good food and showing their love for each other with gifts. Yes, I was told that there was a religious background to the holiday, but in my country 1 in 3 people is not a christian and those that are usually don't take it too seriously. So the general culture I grew up with is one where christmas was the most important holiday of the year but christianity had zero importance among my family and friends and relatively little to society at large.

Now that I am an adult it is mostly about seeing the family and an opportunity to gift those I love or an excuse to get myself stuff I have long had an eye on. Hopefully I will soon have a family of my on and I'll try and let my kids have beautiful memories of cookies and music and decorations and joyous anticipation attached to this season without exposing them to religion.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know a lot of atheists- or people who do not believe in God- or the miracle birth of Jesus, who celebrate Christmas.

Trees, lights, presents- the whole nine yards.

This is strange to me.

What gives?

I would say it's because Christmas, as it exists today anyway in America (I can't comment on other parts of the world), has about as much to do with Christianity as a man-sized bunny dispensing chocolates has anything to do with the Resurrection of Christ.

To us baby-eating-America-hating Secularists, it's about family and giving and watching little ones lose their minds as they get buried under an ocean of presents :smile:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say it's because Christmas, as it exists today anyway in America (I can't comment on other parts of the world), has about as much to do with Christianity as a man-sized bunny dispensing chocolates has anything to do with the Resurrection of Christ.

To us baby-eating-America-hating Secularists, it's about family and giving and watching little ones lose their minds as they get buried under an ocean of presents :smile:

Germany here, and yet: Yes, all of this. Very much so! :D

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I still don't get it guys.

It is clearly celebrating the birth of Christ. Considered a "Savior" to Christians. A life-changing event- the pinnacle event of Christiandom.

Doesn't it seem like people are just jumping on the bandwagon to have the fun stuff- the presents and food and festivities- and that it is a disrespect to Christianity if you outright deny the existance of God and Jesus?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Germany here, and yet: Yes, all of this. Very much so! :D

Glad to see our evil conspiracy to Ruin America(tm) has it's foul tentacles extended all the way across the pond :D :newwink:

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Glad to see our evil conspiracy to Ruin America(tm) has it's foul tentacles extended all the way across the pond :D :newwink:

Do it!
Just give me a place to stay before you dig the claws in! :)

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It is clearly celebrating the birth of Christ. Considered a "Savior" to Christians. A life-changing event- the pinnacle event of Christiandom.

Doesn't it seem like people are just jumping on the bandwagon to have the fun stuff- the presents and food and festivities- and that it is a disrespect to Christianity if you outright deny the existance of God and Jesus?

I'll let someone far more motivated (read: anyone other than me) educate you on Christmas's paganistic origins and parallels with the winter solstice and blah blah blah...

Also, all of the retailers in the country who start hawking their Christmas crap MONTHS before December would like a word with you ;)

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The holiday as it exists today is anything but Christian.

What rubs me the wrong way is Christians that think buying tons of crap, getting stressed out, and putting glitter and lights everywhere is in any way worshiping God just cuz his name and image are peppered in.

The whole thing gives me the heebie jeebies to be honest.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do it!
Just give me a place to stay before you dig the claws in! :)

You're on your own for that I'm afraid. I'm only in the business of slaughtering the moral standing of a once great country. Actually finding a better one is three doors down the hall

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

It's not disrespectful in our eyes if the Christianity story means nothing to us. It's just having a good time.

FWIW, holiday celebrations at this time of year happened well before the advent of Christianity (see Saturnalia)... if December 25 even has anything to do with the birth of Christ at all for that matter. Makes the Christian angle to the December holiday celebrations look ironically suspicious to atheists.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I don't think it's disrespectful. If you strip down to solely religious Christianity, there is little reason for Christmas as it's celebrated now at all, as @Eruca illustrated well. In fact, the Bible mentions environmental cues that would place the birth of Jesus in the summer months, not in the wintertime. For me, Christmas is part of my family history, my culture, and an integrated part of my belief set. It's part of a long history of death-rebirth solstice celebrations, and a festival of love, warmth, and light. I don't feel like I am any less entitled to celebrate it than someone who explicitly claims Christianity as their religion.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Well, that's just it. It isn't that obvious anymore and that trend probably started a century ago. So there is a new secular tradition evolving. How do I hurt anybody's feelings by celebrating in the privacy at my home with my family? How is celebrating a day of love and joy disrespectful? Also, christmas id everywhere and unavoidable in the public square. isn't that disrespectful towards non-christians, especially if you considerit an excluisive rather than an inclusive holiday? What about those that celebrate a different holiday?

Hey, we invented the christmas tree and the christmas calender (IIRC)! :D

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll let someone far more motivated (read: anyone other than me) educate you on Christmas's paganistic origins and parallels with the winter solstice and blah blah blah...

Also, all of the retailers in the country who start hawking their Christmas crap MONTHS before December would like a word with you ;)

lol

I get the bigger picture motivation to keep Christmas going- and commercialized.

I guess as an ENFP who is fascinated by what makes people tick and how they tick etc.- I'm trying to reconcile this idea that someone is "going with the crowd" and celebrating a Christian holiday (regardless of the origins of the specific rituals) when they outwardly deny Christianity.

I'm wondering how an individual feels "okay" with this. If you are firm in your atheist beliefs, why not forgo any Christmas celebration? I can see going along with it for friends that are Christian. But putting up a tree, buying presents. I dunno. I've always been bewildered by people that celebrate to the hilt but do not respect the reason behind it.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, that's just it. It isn't that obvious anymore and that trend probably started a century ago. So there is a new secular tradition evolving. How do I hurt anybody's feelings by celebrating in the privacy at my home with my family? How is celebrating a day of love and joy disrespectful? Also, christmas id everywhere and unavoidable in the public square. isn't that disrespectful towards non-christians, especially if you considerit an excluisive rather than an inclusive holiday? What about those that celebrate a different holiday?

Hey, we invented the christmas tree and the christmas calender (IIRC)! :D

I'm not even talking about outwardly being disrespectful to others who look at Christmas in a religious and holy way.

I mean to YOURSELF. How do you reconcile with yourself that it is okay?

But I see all the responses here. That the celebrations themselves surrounding winter solstice and traditions and that the birth of Christ sort of got thrown into that.

Not sure I completely buy that- but I understand the point, nonetheless.

gromit

likes this

I'm pretty sure the trees and gifts and candles and all that stuff are actually absorbed into Christmas from various pre-Christian traditions.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not even talking about outwardly being disrespectful to others who look at Christmas in a religious and holy way.

I mean to YOURSELF. How do you reconcile with yourself that it is okay?

But I see all the responses here. That the celebrations themselves surrounding winter solstice and traditions and that the birth of Christ sort of got thrown into that.

Not sure I completely buy that- but I understand the point, nonetheless.

Well, as I said, it never had anything to do with christianity for me. I would never fake believing something I don't. It is a beautiful childhood memory (that is about blinkering lights and a cosy atmosphere and special food, etc.) that I am grateful for and want to keep alive and pass on to the next generation. I honestly have a hard time even understanding why this should be an ethical problem towards myself. I basically celebrate it for the same reason I celebrate birthdays: it's fun and makes everybody involved happy. That is enough of a rational reason.