First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AzulEyes View Post
    I know a lot of atheists- or people who do not believe in God- or the miracle birth of Jesus, who celebrate Christmas.

Trees, lights, presents- the whole nine yards.

This is strange to me.

What gives?
    It's not that confusing. Christmas is such a blend of traditions and ideas that different people use the holiday to celebrate different things.

It's like trying to say that being Jewish is either being part of an ethnic group OR a faith. The reality is that people can be both, or one, or the other.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTp

I'm wondering how an individual feels "okay" with this. If you are firm in your atheist beliefs, why not forgo any Christmas celebration? I can see going along with it for friends that are Christian. But putting up a tree, buying presents. I dunno. I've always been bewildered by people that celebrate to the hilt but do not respect the reason behind it.
    You just aren't connecting the dots here. The Dec 25 holiday was based on a pagan festival, and so when Christianity became popular, it was good marketing on the Christians part to co-opt the celebration as "Jesus birthday".

If they had just picked some other date as a "holy day" based on when they though Jesus birthday really was, it may never have caught on. And the proof is in the pudding, some 2000 years later, look how many folks think Dec 25 is all about Jesus being born?

So it's just tradition on the part of Christians and non-believers alike. Everybody likes a good celebration.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

What have you got against party crashers?

God doesn't believe in atheists. Problem solved.

There's nothing to see here people. Move along to the next thread.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by palm View Post
    What have you got against party crashers?
    LOL nothing actually
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    You just aren't connecting the dots here. The Dec 25 holiday was based on a pagan festival, and so when Christianity became popular, it was good marketing on the Christians part to co-opt the celebration as "Jesus birthday".

If they had just picked some other date as a "holy day" based on when they though Jesus birthday really was, it may never have caught on. And the proof is in the pudding, some 2000 years later, look how many folks think Dec 25 is all about Jesus being born?

So it's just tradition on the part of Christians and non-believers alike. Everybody likes a good celebration.
    Sorry- I just don't buy that people of TODAY that are atheists celebrate Christmas because of these other non-Christian historical reasons.
    I don't buy it.
    You do it for the presents and the fun and the food.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I thought the consensus among most historians is that there probably was a reform rabbi Jehoshua ben Joseph.
    No there isn't.

And while you speak of Socrates, he's an historical figure because many people who knew him testified about his life. Not only Plato, but also Xenophon and Aristophane.
    There are too much direct testimonies to deny his existence.

While for Jesus... we have absolutely NOTHING.

NOTHING AT ALL!!

Even Roman registers in Judea never mention he existed, or that somebody like him could have existed. Yet we have almost all the names of the criminals who have been crucified, under which pretense and offense, and when. Roman bureaucrats were very meticulous. But for Jesus or even a Yehoshua... nothing. No letters, no testimonies, no written documents... with the exception of crude fakes written centuries after his presumed death.
    So the consensus amongst historians, as far as I heard the debate, was that Jesus was only a mythical figure, a collection of previous mythos. Hence Mithra. But of course, for true believers, it's blasphemy. Hence the precautions of many contemporary "agnostic" historians. But these precautions aren't scientific per se, it's just political correctness..
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    No there isn't.

Do you have any sources? I'm asking because I have read and heard (from historians) the opposite many times but have always been interested in this.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Do you have any sources? I'm asking because I have read and heard (from historians) the opposite many times but have always been interested in this.
    Classic dilemma.

Trying to prove that something doesn't exist is impossible. But we can be reasonable and infer the real possibility, just like in the celestial teapot's analogy.

The fact remains that we have absolutely NO CONTEMPORARY SOURCE about a person called Yehoshua or that could fit into the events described by the Bible during that time.
    All the authentic documents referring to Jesus or to "Christos" were written decades or centuries after his presumed death.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTp

Sorry- I just don't buy that people of TODAY that are atheists celebrate Christmas because of these other non-Christian historical reasons.
    I don't buy it.
    You do it for the presents and the fun and the food.
    True. But we did it in the first place for the presents the fun and the food. It's just for a while we forgot that was the main reason (on account of most of our ancestors became Christians), and we thought is was a holy dudes birthday. So reverting back to the days when it was only about fun/presents/food is not inconsistent.

Likewise Christians, who may have started celebrating Christs birthday on Dec 25 (when it would seem that date is almost certainly incorrect) can carry on doing so, since they have been doing that for centuries (and since the exact date is unknown anyhow, might as well stick with tradition). It's about the fun/presents/food for Christians too. And they can celebrate their religion on top of that.

I actually used to really like Christmas services back in my psuedo-believer days. That whole fellowship vibe is a legitimate phenomena. Everybody is in such a good mood you can't help but feel the same way.