User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Whenever I live in a predominantly Muslim country, people (friends, neighbours) invite me countless times to eat at their home during the Eid (Aïd) week. It's a major religious holiday for Muslims, and unlike the Ramadan, it's a very sympathetic and joyful one -unless you're a sheep of course!-.

Yet, I make no mystery of my religious opinions, (almost) all my friends know it. But they still continue to invite me, and we share a good time together, and that's all that matters. Nobody told me that my presence was a disgrace in the face of Allah. And nobody tried to convert me either.

And it's quite the same with the Couscous in North Africa every friday. Fridays are supposed to be the day of the jumu'ah, the day of worship, and thus you have special traditions and eating habits. And even when you're not Muslim, well... you eat Couscous every friday.

It doesn't seem to create any problem at all. Why should it?
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 12-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

WALMART

Jesus is not the reason for the season.

Fuck Little Ceasars.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    Jesus is not the reason for the season.

Fuck Little Ceasars.
    Actually, the 25th december was first designed to celebrate the birth of Mithra. And the event was already rather similar to Christmas.
    When Christians invented the mythical person they name Jesus (who never existed at all), they just borrowed everywhere around, everywhere they could. Nothing, even myths, legends and new religions, comes from nothing with a sudden revelation.

It's so obvious, but it seems most Christians never figured why their faith had so many coincidental and similar events with previous religions. They don't realise they worship in fact Mithra and the Sun God during Christmas.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Actually, the 25th december was first designed to celebrate the birth of Mithra. And the event was quite similar to Christmas.
    When Christians invented the mythical person they name Jesus (who never existed at all), they just borrowed everywhere around, everywhere they could.

It's so obvious, but it seems most Christians never figured why their faith had so many coincidental and similar events with previous religions. They don't realise they worship in fact Mithra and the Sun God during Christmas.
    I wouldn't give two shits if they had the birth of Jesus on tape and a court order announcing the celebration of his birth to be December twenty-fifth every year.

I like to party and Christmas is mine.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    When Christians invented the mythical person they name Jesus (who never existed at all), they just borrowed everywhere around, everywhere they could.
    I thought the consensus among most historians is that there probably was a reform rabbi Jehoshua ben Joseph.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I thought the consensus among most historians is that there probably was a reform rabbi Jehoshua ben Joseph.
    Who still is not the guy the Bible talks about, because that guy is god's son.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

IME holidays kind of suck when you're the mom. The only really fun part of Christmas for me is giving presents. The other stuff is mostly just extra work. I am so glad my kids are big enough that I don't have to go to school Christmas programs anymore. I hope I don't get roped into going to the Christmas program at my brother's church this year. I don't want to have to pretend to like it again until I have grandkids.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Who still is not the guy the Bible talks about, because that guy is god's son.
    Well, I never claimed he was. Don't forget that I too am an atheist. I was referring to the debate over whether or not that person ever lived ... just like some people claim Socrates never lived and was a literary invention by Plato.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Infinite Bubble

No one cares what Christmas was originally for anymore.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    No one cares what Christmas was originally for anymore.
    This is why it should just be a secular thing if that's what it's going to be.

All that holiday hoopla associated with Jesus isn't exactly his style I don't think.

Makes the good feels that come with it extra grimy IMO.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.