User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    The really sick part of all of this is the fact that it takes advantage of the people who can least afford to be taken advantage of. Those people who are so desperate, so weak, so unsuccessful that they are willing to entertain notions like these and have their lives further destroyed.

It sickens me when I hear people talk like this irl. It's like having someone fart in my face. I'm going evangelical atheist in 2014.
    GO RAGE BUNNY GO!
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I remind you of your Dad? It must be the beard I've been carefully cultivating.

Now I say it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

ReflecTcelfeR

I crave proportionality.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Positive thinking evolved as a movement to combat the tendency to internalize negative experiences as a reflection of a faulty self. The problem with the cure is that when taken too literally, the logical extreme becomes, "I am the cause of everything that happens to me" rather than "I am a self-calibrating agent." The emphasis on the power of responding is dropped for the belief that one can control everything.

I'm really just talking from impressions here, I'm not a fan nor familiar with the movement, though I can appreciate some elements of thought it co-opts. Things go form bad to worse when positive thinking disavows reality, which is what it needs to work, and when this is encouraged by performers who either possess these distorted beliefs or see the advantage in getting other people to adopt them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

The author decided people who get hit with tsunamis deserved it?
    I actually come from the belief that catastrophes that come your way give you a straight shot to eternal heaven- so if she's right- I guess they are the most deserving people on the planet- and the author should wish she were on the ocean's edge along with them.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Positive thinking is the enemy of mindfulness, and the enabler of pomposity. Positive thinking can encourage passivity just as much negativity thinking can.

On the other hand, I wonder if radical honesty might be useful.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Positive thinking is the enemy of mindfulness, and the enabler of pomposity. Positive thinking can encourage passivity just as much negativity thinking can.

On the other hand, I wonder if radical honesty might be useful.

Oh, how I rant about pomposity. Hopefully not in a pompous fashion.
    7w6 so/sx

" The bird of paradise alights only on the hand that does not grasp." - John Berry

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Why exactly is it harmful to frame 'failure' as 'feedback'? As long as the feedback is taken for what it is, warts and all, it can provide a much more realistic (and therefore beneficial) view than chucking it all to failure. Some problems do have a silver lining--the opportunity to practice, grow, and possibly do it all better the next time around.

On the other hand, people seek quick solutions to their problems. "You want it? Just think it! That's The Secret!" That's bad news bears.

Denying or being blind to reality in all of its forms is detrimental. I'll beat the drum of "misattributing wrong causes to effects is bad" until the day I die.
    The highlighted is critical. One needs to view the situation as accurately as one can, neither through the proverbial rose colored glasses, nor the panic of Chicken Little. The opposite usually discourages people from taking action and making improvements, either because they think it's a lost cause (overemphasis on failure); or because they think all is well so there is nothing to improve.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Oh, how I rant about pomposity. Hopefully not in a pompous fashion.
    Keeping it real!
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

" Hope for the best. Plan for the worst."
    Yes. Absolutely. I want reality. I want honesty. I'm sick to death of people coating everything in being "nice". When I find another person willing to cut through the bullshit and in touch with honesty and reality, it's so refreshing. This positive movement is all about appearance. It's like - I don't need a plan, I'm just staying positive. I want to shake these people.
    Last edited by ceecee; 12-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.