• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Father Greeley - RIP

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just learned that one of my favorite writer on matters Catholic, and spirituality in general, passed away last May. This was Father Andrew Greeley, author of many popular fiction novels like The Cardinal Sins, Ascent into Hell, and Virgin and Martyr. He wrote even more serious works on theology and the church. From this article in the Chicago Tribune:

A renowned sociologist and outspoken Catholic commentator, Greeley had been a longtime columnist for the Sun-Times and wrote more than 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. After serving 10 years as an associate pastor at Christ the King parish, he was released from the pulpit to become a sociology professor and researcher at the University of Chicago. He eventually held a tenured position at the University of Arizona. Inspired by Vatican II reforms, he immersed himself in research about American Catholics engaged in public life.

Despite all his accomplishments, he always stressed he was nothing more than a parish priest.

In addition to loving his church, he pushed it to change, championing the ability of women to serve the church in every capacity, even referring to God as a "she." He also believed the church should ordain married priests.

Though Greeley never fancied himself a theologian, the Rev. David Tracy, a retired professor at the University of Chicago Divinity School, said on Wednesday he "could name no other contemporary thinker who crossed so many interdisciplinary borders of the academy with such seeming ease and robust joy."

"Though he modestly disclaimed the title of theologian, in fact, he was one of the major theological interpreters of our day," said Tracy, who once held the Andrew Thomas Greeley and Grace McNichols Greeley Professorship in Roman Catholic Studies that Greeley established in his parents' names. "Even as Andrew sang out the sheer joy and goodness of God's creation in life, he never hesitated to denounce injustice. ... Andrew Greeley was our very own American Catholic, smiting nonsense and injustice left and right."

I'm not sure where else to put this, since I don't have a blog. Perhaps other members here know of Father Greeley's work and will have comments on his life and contributions.