• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have you ever changed your religion?

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I grew up christian, now I'm a Discordian that worships Kratos for being one bad ass motherfucker and killing of his competition

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I *sorta* switched. I was raised as a Methodist, but when I moved out of the house and tried to find a church of my own I realized that the only Methodist church I liked was the one I was raised in, so even though I may attend my original church, I realize that I don't really fit in Methodism, just in that one Methodist church. If I were to go to a new church due to relocation, I would most definitely attend a metaphysical church as I tend to find that I would feel comfortable in any of them.

Btw, I have to give a thumbs up to [MENTION=20474]OptoGypsy[/MENTION] too.

ameeker

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Wubbie: The act of a woman pressing someone else's face to her breasts and jiggling; may be used for either pleasurable or intimidating (suffocating) effect. You owe me a new pair of pants.

I thought that was called motorboating.

OptoGypsy

MBTI Type
isfp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If there are any Christians: Read the Divine Comedy it's an intriguing trilogy on the after life :)

T

The Iron Giant

I was born and raised Lutheran. When I was about 12 I realized the whole thing was nonsense and became an atheist. Later I tried some older pagan stuff, but whenever it came to claiming a belief in some imaginary character, I lost interest. I've studied some Buddhism and that stuff works for me because there isn't a god or anything, but I don't practice it any more than just trying to follow some of the ideas. If someone asked me what my religion is my answer would be atheist, even though that's not a religion as much as a statement of non-belief in a god. Many of the other atheist friends and family members I have refer to themselves as Humanists.

Comeback Girl

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah. On Facebook. Because someone fraped me.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was raised as a JW, but we stopped going before I was 10. Then I went back to it in my early 20s and stayed for close to a decade. I left because the hypocrisy just really killed things for me. I thought they were sincere and earnest so that was a pretty nasty blow for me. After that, I looked at other things...I kinda practice this mixture of paganism and what my grandparents, a kind of southeastern pan-Indian mix of beliefs, taught me.

stay strong, friend...

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
The world is full of poverty, and I doubt the majority of the world's poor are Hindus. I see some correlation between focusing on the afterlife, as many religions promote, and undue contentedness with unfair and miserable situations in this life. No religion has a monopoly on this, however.

erm, the problem with the caste system was that everyone was, practically speaking, believed to be living in a divinely ordained afterlife here on earth, and upward mobility or even the alleviation of the poor's living conditions was viewed as a religious violation*. It has more to do with a religiously motivated version of apartheid than with focusing on living a life worthy of Heaven or Valhalla at the expense of earthly activism.

*Among many Hindus that's still the case, even if its no longer backed by force of law.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
erm, the problem with the caste system was that everyone was, practically speaking, believed to be living in a divinely ordained afterlife here on earth, and upward mobility or even the alleviation of the poor's living conditions was viewed as a religious violation*. It has more to do with a religiously motivated version of apartheid than with focusing on living a life worthy of Heaven or Valhalla at the expense of earthly activism.
It's all a version of apartheid. The haves try to justify to the have-nots why they should be content with their life, and cannot expect things to change. In the caste system you could improve your lot only upon rebirth, if you had been a dutiful [whatever] in your present life. In Christianity yes, your afterlife is not on this earth. Either way, attempts to improve the here-and-now are viewed as impious.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
It counts if you have switched denominations or if you have gone from a religious person to an atheist/agnostic (or vice versa).

What religion did you switch to?
What did you switch from?
And what was the reason for the change?

No I've never changed.

V

violaine

Yes. I left the religion I was raised in. It was hard to leave as it meant losing a lot of family and friends, (their choice). But it was not even in the realms of possibility for me to stay. It was never a good fit. I always had questions about the glaring inconsistencies I noticed in their teachings; one isn't supposed to have such thoughts let alone voice them aloud. Even though I lost lots of people I loved, I'm so much happier now. I have my own little family and much better friends. (Makes me think of the Book of Job, lol). Every day since I left is a gift. <3.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes. I left the religion I was raised in. It was hard to leave as it meant losing a lot of family and friends, (their choice). But it was not even in the realms of possibility for me to stay. It was never a good fit. I always had questions about the glaring inconsistencies I noticed in their teachings; one isn't supposed to have such thoughts let alone voice them aloud. Even though I lost lots of people I loved, I'm so much happier now. I have my own little family and much better friends. (Makes me think of the Book of Job, lol). Every day since I left is a gift. <3.

It's funny how bible stories still convey meaning to us, even though we're not in it. I ran into an ex-JW yesterday and she also name dropped some Biblical Characters. Because of our 'education', I get along great with the Jewish peeps. In some ways (in some much deeper ways), it's added value to my life.

V

violaine

[MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION] - Yeah, I feel a strange kinship with Jewish peeps too. I will say that all of that door-knocking forced me to be comfortable approaching strangers. Def dealt with any social anxiety head on, which was invaluable to me as an introvert.

I feel really happy when someone asks me a question regarding the religion though and I can't quite remember what the answer is! :-D

Noll

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. I didn't know what religion was until I was 11. What a weird thing, I thought.