User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    No. I didn't know what religion was until I was 11. What a weird thing, I thought.
    Lol.. Sweden of peace.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Noll View Post
    No. I didn't know what religion was until I was 11. What a weird thing, I thought.
    Same. Atheist and never changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    erm, the problem with the caste system was that everyone was, practically speaking, believed to be living in a divinely ordained afterlife here on earth, and upward mobility or even the alleviation of the poor's living conditions was viewed as a religious violation*. It has more to do with a religiously motivated version of apartheid than with focusing on living a life worthy of Heaven or Valhalla at the expense of earthly activism.

*Among many Hindus that's still the case, even if its no longer backed by force of law.
    And we have the strange sight of many educated, wealthy Westerners, with values of freedom and equality, being taken in by Hindu gurus, such as Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, with not a mention of the caste system.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It's funny how bible stories still convey meaning to us, even though we're not in it. I ran into an ex-JW yesterday and she also name dropped some Biblical Characters. Because of our 'education', I get along great with the Jewish peeps. In some ways (in some much deeper ways), it's added value to my life.
    It's impossible to understand English literature without understanding the Bible.

And it is impossible to understand European art and music without understanding the Bible.

And it is impossible to understand European history without understanding the Bible, for the history of Europe is the history of the Church.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

That depends on your definition of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    It's impossible to understand English literature without understanding the Bible.

And it is impossible to understand European art and music without understanding the Bible.

And it is impossible to understand European history without understanding the Bible, for the history of Europe is the history of the Church.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannik View Post
    That depends on your definition of understanding.
    Understanding is knowing what a culture based on Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment is talking about.

To know what the West is talking about, whether we agree or disagree, it necessary to know the Bible.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Have pretty much been an atheist my entire life, but a closet one on several occasions. Was raised Quaker but always doubted, even though I tried really hard to get with the program it was all non sense to me. By middle school I had fallen in with a group of friends who were Wiccan and thus tried to identify myself as such. After a couple of years this too seemed silly to me and I gave it up. By high school I had determined I was agnostic atheist but since have grown towards die hard atheist/anti-theist.
    SDMF

Of all the seven billion souls alive today almost all of us do not change our religion.

In fact most of the seven billion learn their religion as children and they imprint like ducks on their parents' religion.

And even more interesting is that on the global scale religion is defined by geography. Just imagine, the god or gods you believe in depend on where you live.

There is a small exception to this and that is, in the West, a small number of people do change their religion or leave it altogether. But this is highly unusual behaviour in world terms.

And the fact that we ask the question here about leaving our religion, shows how parochial we are.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

My mother had me Baptized as a Protestant when I was an infant, though we didn't attend church terribly regularly.
    I went to a Sunday school in one of the several towns in Georgia I lived in, for a time.

I mostly liked the free pecan cookies, and singing. I never fully accepted the existence of a divine being as the Ultimate Truth, though I enjoyed some biblical tales. My mother became very angry when I'd question the existence of God, & Sunday school was no different.
    I was reprimanded repeatedly for asking too many questions & not dressing "appropriately" for church classes (stopped wearing dresses).
    I asked where in the Bible it was written that I had to dress a particular way in order to attend church. They sent me to a time-out.

My father died when I was 9, and I was exposed to a lot of abuse afterward (my mom dated a psycho). Trying to cope/understand meaning behind all of it.. Asked a lot of tough questions.
    I found only dead ends and empty answers in the religion fed to me, and decided God likely does not exist.

Between elementary school & jr high, I read the Bible cover-to-cover. It was slow going, & I found I had little use for it. Just picked it up & dropped it intermittently, to make sure I grasped what people were following, what I dismissed.

My overall stance hasn't changed. The older I get, the more sense it makes.
    Eternal skeptic.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

I've always explored different beliefs until I discerned here was something wrong with them, and then tried to formulate something about what is lacking in that community of idea's while looking for something else that offers what was lacking... I finally found a religion for myself though, currently in the process of being taken up, will probably be sealed after a year of activity. (I found a gospel of Christianity that I can understand in the Old Apostolic Church).

correction: after looking at the definition of religion, I guess how I believe does not conform to that label...

I believe that I should live in the priest, I think I should live on the prophet, I believe I should learn and bread break about what the Evangelist tells me, I believe I should be handled by the Elders when requiring healing... I believe the members of my church community are the body of Jesus Christ, and I will bread break with them (eat the flesh) and pool my energy with them (drink the blood) and in so doing, receive eternal life.

btw: I was told that I was baptized methodist.
    Last edited by Zangetshumody; 01-25-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: correction on the point of the term "religion"
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.