First 678910 Last

Ratchet Ass Moon Fairy Comeback Girl's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    yolo Ni

Yeah. On Facebook. Because someone fraped me.
    Ewww is the new sexy

Hi! Ask me things, maybe I'll answer them! Just click here

And here's my functions: Se-Te-Fi-Fe-Ni-Ti-Ne-Si

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    I was raised as a JW, but we stopped going before I was 10. Then I went back to it in my early 20s and stayed for close to a decade. I left because the hypocrisy just really killed things for me. I thought they were sincere and earnest so that was a pretty nasty blow for me. After that, I looked at other things...I kinda practice this mixture of paganism and what my grandparents, a kind of southeastern pan-Indian mix of beliefs, taught me.
    stay strong, friend...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The world is full of poverty, and I doubt the majority of the world's poor are Hindus. I see some correlation between focusing on the afterlife, as many religions promote, and undue contentedness with unfair and miserable situations in this life. No religion has a monopoly on this, however.
    erm, the problem with the caste system was that everyone was, practically speaking, believed to be living in a divinely ordained afterlife here on earth, and upward mobility or even the alleviation of the poor's living conditions was viewed as a religious violation*. It has more to do with a religiously motivated version of apartheid than with focusing on living a life worthy of Heaven or Valhalla at the expense of earthly activism.

*Among many Hindus that's still the case, even if its no longer backed by force of law.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    erm, the problem with the caste system was that everyone was, practically speaking, believed to be living in a divinely ordained afterlife here on earth, and upward mobility or even the alleviation of the poor's living conditions was viewed as a religious violation*. It has more to do with a religiously motivated version of apartheid than with focusing on living a life worthy of Heaven or Valhalla at the expense of earthly activism.
    It's all a version of apartheid. The haves try to justify to the have-nots why they should be content with their life, and cannot expect things to change. In the caste system you could improve your lot only upon rebirth, if you had been a dutiful [whatever] in your present life. In Christianity yes, your afterlife is not on this earth. Either way, attempts to improve the here-and-now are viewed as impious.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    It counts if you have switched denominations or if you have gone from a religious person to an atheist/agnostic (or vice versa).

What religion did you switch to?
    What did you switch from?
    And what was the reason for the change?
    No I've never changed.

MBTI
    INTP

Was raised a Christian, but am now an atheist.

violaine

Yes. I left the religion I was raised in. It was hard to leave as it meant losing a lot of family and friends, (their choice). But it was not even in the realms of possibility for me to stay. It was never a good fit. I always had questions about the glaring inconsistencies I noticed in their teachings; one isn't supposed to have such thoughts let alone voice them aloud. Even though I lost lots of people I loved, I'm so much happier now. I have my own little family and much better friends. (Makes me think of the Book of Job, lol). Every day since I left is a gift. <3.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Yes. I left the religion I was raised in. It was hard to leave as it meant losing a lot of family and friends, (their choice). But it was not even in the realms of possibility for me to stay. It was never a good fit. I always had questions about the glaring inconsistencies I noticed in their teachings; one isn't supposed to have such thoughts let alone voice them aloud. Even though I lost lots of people I loved, I'm so much happier now. I have my own little family and much better friends. (Makes me think of the Book of Job, lol). Every day since I left is a gift. <3.
    It's funny how bible stories still convey meaning to us, even though we're not in it. I ran into an ex-JW yesterday and she also name dropped some Biblical Characters. Because of our 'education', I get along great with the Jewish peeps. In some ways (in some much deeper ways), it's added value to my life.

violaine

@Qlip - Yeah, I feel a strange kinship with Jewish peeps too. I will say that all of that door-knocking forced me to be comfortable approaching strangers. Def dealt with any social anxiety head on, which was invaluable to me as an introvert.

I feel really happy when someone asks me a question regarding the religion though and I can't quite remember what the answer is! :-D

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

No. I didn't know what religion was until I was 11. What a weird thing, I thought.
    4w5-9w1-5w4