User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Infinite Bubble

Born and baptised a christian, but that's as far as it ever went.

A religion is a context in which we live our lives.

So to change our religion is to change our context.

However there is another alternative. As we start to see our context and not just take it for granted, we can step outside our context.

Stepping outside our context is anxiety producing, so we immediately try to find another context. But there is no need to.

And indeed stepping outside the taken-for-granted context was called by the Ancient Greeks, ekstasis, that is, ecstasy.

So take you pick: context or ecstasy.

But the price of ecstasy is courage.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Raised Episcopalian
    Became an atheist
    Found God
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I became Christian when I was about 6, then quit being Christian around 13. When I was about 12 I discovered Hinduism and that I could be Christian and Hindu at the same time, but later I decided Christianity just didn't make sense to me. That was the only time I've ever really subtracted anything. Everything else has been added and reined.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Raised chill Episcopalian with a touch of Unitarianism and a big dollop of "I don't have to believe that if it doesn't make sense". Still pretty much that, but probably less chill, in the sense that I'd call myself both more spiritual and more religious than I used to be.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I was raised Catholic, and by my teens had started to reject and discard that religion layer by layer, peeling apart an onion. Reasons included lack of aesthetic substance, too much "going through the motions", church bureaucracy, regressive social policy, and the fact that, once everything else was stripped away, it just didn't make sense. I explored a few mainstream protestant denominations and found the core beliefs too similar.

By this point, I had discarded all my previous religious beliefs, save belief in the existence of god. This one belief was kept alive by, of all things, the writings of scientists of old - people like Newton and Galileo. Eventually, I got to know some Bahai's, and learned enough to become comfortable with the idea of following a faith other than Christianity, but also to know Bahai faith wasn't it for me. Still too close to "religions of the book", with rules, hierarchies, and established holy writings.

Finally, I stumbled across Paganism, mostly Wicca. My experience was different from @Amargith's in that the groups I worked with were not dogmatic; tailored ritual to the needs of the participants; and have always emphasized the immediacy and presence of the divine within our lives. We share a common practice, with each person's beliefs individual and unconstrained. I like that we take our cues from the creation (i.e. the Creator), and place the onus for spiritual development on the individual, not a hierarchy or minister or static writings.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    So, I found that many religions join paths and hit on some good, solid common themes that are probably "on to something." Or at least they're good ideas. I've ultimately chosen to pick out those commonalities, continually test them out in my daily life, and leave the mysticism aside.
    I agree with this, and always enjoy noticing these commonalities. Ironically I have much more respect for Christianity now that I no longer feel I have to fit myself within its boundaries.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Not changed, really, just re-discovered. Which looks like a fairly common thing to happen over the course of life.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I was drug up catholic. I had grown up thinking that everyone was just walking around knowing that they were all going to hell cause they were constantly comitting sins and they weren't going to confession. By the time I was 10 I was completely brain washed which perfectly complimented my self righteous beliefs.

Its taken me the past 16 years to undo all of that. I cannot define my "religion" with a universally known type of religion. The closest it comes to is Buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    I was drug up catholic. I had grown up thinking that everyone was just walking around knowing that they were all going to hell cause they were constantly comitting sins and they weren't going to confession. By the time I was 10 I was completely brain washed which perfectly complimented my self righteous beliefs.

Its taken me the past 16 years to undo all of that. I cannot define my "religion" with a universally known type of religion. The closest it comes to is Buddhism.
    A catholic education is an excellent innoculation against religion.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Raised Episcopalian
    Became an atheist
    Found God
    What made you switch from Atheism? If you don't mind.