User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever changed your religion?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

The problem is religion doesn't make sense. So in order to believe nonsense we put aside our critical mind and believe whatever we are told, just like children.

Matthew 18:2 and 18:3

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,

And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on

2wX so/sx

I was raised in a christian household (that wasn't very serious). I was more spiritual than my family and became involved in my Baptist Church. Being disgruntled with that atmosphere and the inconsistencies within the bible, I sought out an Islam class and actually converted last year. I'm still learning, but I do have a strong faith in God and want to continue to grow in faith everyday.

937 sp/sx

When I was twelve I left Christianity, and at fourteen I stopped believing in god altogether. My degree of certainty in the nonexistence of god has fluctuated over the years, but at this point I consider myself agnostic instead of an atheist. I have a lot more respect for religion now than I used to; I've found a lot of deep moral wisdom at the core of some religions, but I don't look to religion for an explanation of nature/the universe like some do.

Right before adolescence I started questioning what I believed and realized that I didn't have strong faith like I did as a young child; I'd been willing myself to just believe in the religion that had been put in front of me. I didn't stop believing in god altogether yet, but I stopped viewing Christianity as the one path to The Truth and started viewing it as only one of many sets of ideas about life's origin and purpose. I stopped believing in god about a year and half later and became a philosophical materialist. I think a lot of that had to do with being exposed to different (more skeptical) ways of thinking that made a lot of sense to me, and I started weeding out my own beliefs that were faith-based rather than evidence-based. Now I still lean towards a materalist view and will likely never believe in a deity again, but I recognize that I understand very little of what there is to understand, and I'm more open to considering certain theories that can't be explained in terms of physical phenomena, such as the idea that there's one ultimate Consciousness/Mind that everyone shares.

In order to return to Christianity, I would either have to discover a reason why its beliefs are more likely to be true than the ones I currently hold, but even then I would be an agnostic Christian. I would completely have to change my epistemological approach in order to be a Christian who is certain their beliefs represent reality.
    “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” - Hermann Hesse

468 sx/sp

I was raised a Protestant. At about age 35, I started realizing I couldn't keep going to church because I just didn't believe any of it. I cast about for some years, trying to find something else to believe in. Just recently realized, there's no reason for that. I came to the realization that I don't believe in anything.

No, but I got rid of it once.

I still practice the religion I was born into which basically teaches:

Nothing is eternal/immortal (the basic teaching of it).
    Therefore there couldn't be an eternal/immortal God.
    God didn't create the universe or you.
    God or Gods aren't the decider of your fate.
    Your actions will have reactions in this life and the next.
    Oh yeah there is an afterlife.
    Believing in this religion wouldn't save your ass.
    Believing in this religion wouldn't save your ass even in the afterlife.
    Try to be a good boy.
    You are doomed.

Welcome to Buddhism.

No, and I don't see myself doing so soon either.

It's actually one of the only things I agree with my parents on as well as one of the things that they have "given" me which I actually find some value within.

1w9 sp/so

I was born and raised as a Catholic, but am now in a phase where I can't help but question it.. I just think that one's most important treasure is one's life. Isn't this what most religion teach?
    "There are so many things to battle, why fight yourself?" ~The Thieves

"A fickle heart is the only constant in this world." ~Turnip-Head

~ Melancholic - 70%Si/65%Te/55%Fi/55%Ne - Trainee Regiment ~

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

I was baptized and raised antiochan orthodox. I practice nothing now.
    by @magpie

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rimarie View Post
    I was born and raised as a Catholic, but am now in a phase where I can't help but question it.. I just think that one's most important treasure is one's life. Isn't this what most religion teach?
    Sadly, no. Many teach that God, or one's relationship with God, is the most important "treasure" in life. Some even put the lives of others over one's own.

I gave up Catholicism, too, and still can't understand how intelligent people can view it as anything more than an allegory with some seriously mixed messages.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere