• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Compartmentalisation and Integrity

Mole

Permabanned
Our Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse is revealing day by day the horrors visited on children in religious institutions, and yet more and more parents are sending their children to religious schools.

How can we account for this anomoly?

The parents themselves have stopped going to church, but send their children to private religious schools for social advantage, even though they read in the newspapers every day the betrayal of children in religious institutions.

This is an interesting psychological question: how do the parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance?

The parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance by the psychological defence of compartmentalisation.

Compartmentalisation works because it keeps separate in the mind dissonant elements, so they don't come in contact and cause emotional pain.

And compatmentalisation is the opposite of integrity which integrates different parts of the mind.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just learned about the whole "To Train Up a Child" phenomenon. Child abuse, with several dead, in the name of the Bible. Horrifying.

Mole

Permabanned
Personality and Child Rearing Practices

Our personalities are determined by our child rearing, that is why our Royal Commission into child abuse is so important.

How we raise our children determines the personality of our child. However the history of childhood is not taught and is unknown by all. And childrearing has been hidden from view.

But now it is coming into view in Ireland and Australia.

Here is an introduction to the Royal Commission in Australia -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBhbrRySpBQ

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Our Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse is revealing day by day the horrors visited on children in religious institutions, and yet more and more parents are sending their children to religious schools.

How can we account for this anomoly?

The parents themselves have stopped going to church, but send their children to private religious schools for social advantage, even though they read in the newspapers every day the betrayal of children in religious institutions.

This is an interesting psychological question: how do the parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance?

The parents avoid the emotional pain of cognitive dissonance by the psychological defence of compartmentalisation.

Compartmentalisation works because it keeps separate in the mind dissonant elements, so they don't come in contact and cause emotional pain.

And compatmentalisation is the opposite of integrity which integrates different parts of the mind.

So, correct if I am wrong but your question is: "Since religious education institutions are so harmful, how is it that parents can resolve their cognitive dissonance and stills end their children there?"

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think you're overanalyzing but I agree with you, more or less, these parents send their children to religious schools, knowing the dangers out of voluntary "ignorance".

Mole

Permabanned
I think you're overanalyzing but I agree with you, more or less, these parents send their children to religious schools, knowing the dangers out of voluntary "ignorance".

In Australia and Ireland at least there is now now no danger to children in religious schools. It's more that the religion they teach is no longer practised by the parents and is intellectually and morally dubious.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In Australia and Ireland at least there is now now no danger to children in religious schools. It's more that the religion they teach is no longer practised by the parents and is intellectually and morally dubious.

Why is there no danger? You speak as though abusive priests no longer exist.

Mole

Permabanned
So, correct if I am wrong but your question is: "Since religious education institutions are so harmful, how is it that parents can resolve their cognitive dissonance and stills end their children there?"

Religious institutions in Australia and Ireland at least are no longer sexually abusing children, however I do think their intellectual and moral claims are dubious.

It's plain parents send their children to religious schools, not for the religion, but for social advantage.

Mole

Permabanned
Why is there no danger? You speak as though abusive priests no longer exist.

The difference now is that child sexual abusers are now brought before our criminal courts.

And the Australian Federal Police (AFP) actively pursue child sexual abusers in Australia and across the world in concert with the Police Forces of other countries.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The difference now is that child sexual abusers are now brought before our criminal courts.

And the Australian Federal Police (AFP) actively pursue child sexual abusers in Australia and across the world in concert with the Police Forces of other countries.

Im pretty sure child abuse still goes on behind the scenes. Most sex offenders are compulsive anyways, they cant resist doing what they do, it just sorta happens I wouls assume. So no, children aerent safer, the offenders are simply more likely to be punsihed, which is different.

Also what does it matter if parents are sending their children to religious school for prestige and not belief? What does it tell you?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I feel the need to point out that sex abuse still happens in public schools as well. What makes you think it happens more often in religious institutions?

Mole

Permabanned
I feel the need to point out that sex abuse still happens in public schools as well. What makes you think it happens more often in religious institutions?

The Judicial Enquiry in Ireland and the Judicial Enquiry in New South Wales and the Judicial Enquiry in Victoria showed that child sexual abuse happened more often in religious institutions.