• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why ISN'T morality subjective?

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I cant really believe a thread like this is still alive. Debates like this have gone on from the beginning of philosophy and will go on forever. I dont wanna seem like a coward for knockin the OP now that hes banned, but whats the point of creating a thread stating your beliefs which you aerent wiling to change, anyways, so the whole world can know? A better question would be: how ISNT this thread a dead equus ferus.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I cant really believe a thread like this is still alive. Debates like this have gone on from the beginning of philosophy and will go on forever. I dont wanna seem like a coward for knockin the OP now that hes banned, but whats the point of creating a thread stating your beliJefs which you aerent wiling to change, anyways, so the whole world can know? A better question would be: how ISNT this thread a dead equus ferus.

That's just your assumption really. I can tell your for a fact that my beliefs on this very debate has changed through the process of a civilised debate.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's just your assumption really. I can tell your for a fact that my beliefs on this very debate has changed through the process of a civilised debate.

You call the OP civilized and a debater?

EDIT: And just so you know, I dont think debates like this are useless. Its more the way it was initiated which is useless.

Mole

Permabanned
I cant really believe a thread like this is still alive. Debates like this have gone on from the beginning of philosophy and will go on forever. I dont wanna seem like a coward for knockin the OP now that hes banned, but whats the point of creating a thread stating your beliefs which you aerent wiling to change, anyways, so the whole world can know? A better question would be: how ISNT this thread a dead equus ferus.

The purpose of debate isn't to change anyone's mind.

The purpose of debate is to entrench one's own beliefs, to diss the beliefs of others, and to boost one's ego.

Debate is essentially circular. It's purpose is to keep us in a holding pattern.

And being afraid, we naturally feel safe in a holding pattern, where we go nowhere. And that is exactly where we want to go. And this is where we do go.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The purpose of debate isn't to change anyone's mind.

The purpose of debate is to entrench one's own beliefs, to diss the beliefs of others, and to boost one's ego.

Debate is essentially circular. It's purpose is to keep us in a holding pattern.

And being afraid, we naturally feel safe in a holding pattern, where we go nowhere. And that is exactly where we want to go. And this is where we do go.

This is qiuet pessimistic my friend, you're not actually gonna one of your posts on such a low note, lol!

Debate really can change minds, they have for me in the past, but perhaps nothing changes your mind? You seem rather stubborn when you argue, like you dont think you can learn from others and thats a mistake.

Mole

Permabanned
This is qiuet pessimistic my friend, you're not actually gonna one of your posts on such a low note, lol!

Debate really can change minds, they have for me in the past, but perhaps nothing changes your mind? You seem rather stubborn when you argue, like you dont think you can learn from others and thats a mistake.

I am quite happy to be in a holding pattern with you.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The hammer tempers the sword.

Glad to hear that; you might not be as narrow minded as I assumed. You know, some people on here(namely Lark and a few others) really dont like you and I cant quiet figure out why, sometimes people just gang up on someone for no rational reason. I think you're legit though.;)

Mole

Permabanned
Glad to hear that; you might not be as narrow minded as I assumed. You know, some people on here(namely Lark and a few others) really dont like you and I cant quiet figure out why, sometimes people just gang up on someone for no rational reason. I think you're legit though.;)

My professor in Philosophy 101 taught me how to be intellectually provocative in order to enliven debate.

The price for being intellectually provocative is sometimes a strong negative affect. In other words intellectual provocation can induce negative emotions towards the provocateur.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My professor in Philosophy 101 taught me how to be intellectually provocative in order to enliven debate.

The price for being intellectually provocative is sometimes a strong negative affect. In other words intellectual provocation can induce negative emotions towards the provocateur.

Still not sure why Lark hates you.

Mole

Permabanned
Still not sure why Lark hates you.

Lark is a Northerm Ireland Roman Catholic. He is caught up in the age old hostility between Northern Ireland Protestantism and Northern Ireland Catholicism.

And here I come along drawing attention to the Judicial Enquiry of the Irish Government into child abuse in the Roman Catholic Church. So Lark naturally saw me as a tribal enemy.

This of course is silly as I live on the other side of the world and take no part in the Troubles of Northern Ireland.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I have no idea how anyone can say morality is subjective. Those people ALMOST (almost) deserve to have to live in concentration camps for saying something like that, 'cause it is like spitting in the face of 1) the people who have fought for the better world of today and 2) everyone who has suffered at the hands of grossly immoral people.

These idiots don't even think living in a death camp is different than living in historically unprecedented liberty and prosperity. LITERALLY. That's actually sickening. "It's all just an opinion man. What if someone WANTS to live in a death camp? It's all subjective. Hitler is technically just as good as George Washington." RIGHT. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. I mean how stupid can you possibly be?

There is a right and a fucking wrong god dammit. FUCK people who think morality is subjective.

Mole

Permabanned
I have no idea how anyone can say morality is subjective. Those people ALMOST (almost) deserve to have to live in concentration camps for saying something like that, 'cause it is like spitting in the face of 1) the people who have fought for the better world of today and 2) everyone who has suffered at the hands of grossly immoral people.

These idiots don't even think living in a death camp is different than living in historically unprecedented liberty and prosperity. LITERALLY. That's actually sickening. "It's all just an opinion man. What if someone WANTS to live in a death camp? It's all subjective. Hitler is technically just as good as George Washington." RIGHT. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. I mean how stupid can you possibly be?

There is a right and a fucking wrong god dammit. FUCK people who think morality is subjective.

Of course.

We came as close as possible to absolute evil in the holocaust. As a result we drew up the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

However those who wish to draw near absolute evil once again have openly and publicly rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in favour of Sharia.

inventor

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram

Agreed

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
This paper pretty much hits the nail on the head, if you ask me (Does Anything Really Matter Or Are We Just Evolved To Think So)

[MENTION=20143]danseen[/MENTION] - this also applies to the Western Morality thread.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
[This paper pretty much hits the nail on the head, if you ask me

Isn't that paper arguing morality is subjective? Here's it's concluding sentence (bold mine):

Nothing “really” matters in the sense of mattering independently of the attitudes
of living beings who take things to matter (nothing is objective), but the nice fact is that living beings evolved, began
taking things to matter (subjectively decided to value things), and thereby made things matter

I read this as morality is subjective, but hey, that's a good thing.