User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

I cant really believe a thread like this is still alive. Debates like this have gone on from the beginning of philosophy and will go on forever. I dont wanna seem like a coward for knockin the OP now that hes banned, but whats the point of creating a thread stating your beliefs which you aerent wiling to change, anyways, so the whole world can know? A better question would be: how ISNT this thread a dead equus ferus.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I cant really believe a thread like this is still alive. Debates like this have gone on from the beginning of philosophy and will go on forever. I dont wanna seem like a coward for knockin the OP now that hes banned, but whats the point of creating a thread stating your beliJefs which you aerent wiling to change, anyways, so the whole world can know? A better question would be: how ISNT this thread a dead equus ferus.
    That's just your assumption really. I can tell your for a fact that my beliefs on this very debate has changed through the process of a civilised debate.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    That's just your assumption really. I can tell your for a fact that my beliefs on this very debate has changed through the process of a civilised debate.
    You call the OP civilized and a debater?

EDIT: And just so you know, I dont think debates like this are useless. Its more the way it was initiated which is useless.

I cant really believe a thread like this is still alive. Debates like this have gone on from the beginning of philosophy and will go on forever. I dont wanna seem like a coward for knockin the OP now that hes banned, but whats the point of creating a thread stating your beliefs which you aerent wiling to change, anyways, so the whole world can know? A better question would be: how ISNT this thread a dead equus ferus.
    The purpose of debate isn't to change anyone's mind.

The purpose of debate is to entrench one's own beliefs, to diss the beliefs of others, and to boost one's ego.

Debate is essentially circular. It's purpose is to keep us in a holding pattern.

And being afraid, we naturally feel safe in a holding pattern, where we go nowhere. And that is exactly where we want to go. And this is where we do go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The purpose of debate isn't to change anyone's mind.

The purpose of debate is to entrench one's own beliefs, to diss the beliefs of others, and to boost one's ego.

Debate is essentially circular. It's purpose is to keep us in a holding pattern.

And being afraid, we naturally feel safe in a holding pattern, where we go nowhere. And that is exactly where we want to go. And this is where we do go.
    This is qiuet pessimistic my friend, you're not actually gonna one of your posts on such a low note, lol!

Debate really can change minds, they have for me in the past, but perhaps nothing changes your mind? You seem rather stubborn when you argue, like you dont think you can learn from others and thats a mistake.

This is qiuet pessimistic my friend, you're not actually gonna one of your posts on such a low note, lol!

Debate really can change minds, they have for me in the past, but perhaps nothing changes your mind? You seem rather stubborn when you argue, like you dont think you can learn from others and thats a mistake.
    I am quite happy to be in a holding pattern with you.

I am quite happy to be in a holding pattern with you.
    Im holding a hammer to your ideas.

What can you do?

Im holding a hammer to your ideas.

What can you do?
    The hammer tempers the sword.

The hammer tempers the sword.
    Glad to hear that; you might not be as narrow minded as I assumed. You know, some people on here(namely Lark and a few others) really dont like you and I cant quiet figure out why, sometimes people just gang up on someone for no rational reason. I think you're legit though.

Glad to hear that; you might not be as narrow minded as I assumed. You know, some people on here(namely Lark and a few others) really dont like you and I cant quiet figure out why, sometimes people just gang up on someone for no rational reason. I think you're legit though.
    My professor in Philosophy 101 taught me how to be intellectually provocative in order to enliven debate.

The price for being intellectually provocative is sometimes a strong negative affect. In other words intellectual provocation can induce negative emotions towards the provocateur.