User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I thought the same! We all agreed to follow rules and schedules, that we call "moral" , but who can really know what moral is?
    As you read this we have a Royal Commission into child abuse to determine what moral is.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    You can create a thread like this and argue successfully for the subjectivity or morality; or you could argue successfully for the objectivity of morality. That's because morality bridges the subjective/objective gap.
    This is true. Even if you're a fan of categorical imperatives, it's inevitable that one determines certain objective phenomena to be either subjectively good or subjectively bad. The object isn't just for fans of teleology. So no matter which way you look at it, the super-ego functions the same way for most people, though perhaps to varying degrees.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    I love metaethics. Would've written a PH on it if I stayed in philosophy. If we accept the existence of morality, then it really makes no sense for it to be subjective, because then it loses out on its moral force. When someone tells a Neo-Nazi that racism is wrong, they're not just saying 'according to my society, racism is wrong'. Why would the Neo-Nazi care? Couldn't he/she just respond by saying 'but according to my Neo-Nazi community, racism is justified'? If there's no objective grounding in morality, ethics as we know it, do not truly exist.

The instinctively attractive explanation is that morality exists, but only as a set of rules for us all to get along. An evolutionary social lubricant if you will. However, once again, it's hard to justify the moral force of ethics given this explanation. If you could kill a homeless person without any social consequences, isn't it still wrong to kill him? If it's not because of practical outcomes, then why is it important for us to all get along? Is it morally important for us to all get along? That just brings us back to square one.

To me, there is no logical reason that can justify the existence morality -- a somehow external and objective idea of right and wrong. Pretty hard to accept instinctively and emotionally though.
    Pretty much the argument that goes on in my head.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    NFJ

You know, seeing as how this is a Typology forum...

There are both objective and subjective approaches to morality. Some tend towards one rather than the other, but both play a fundamental part in the psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by Concur_Withall View Post
    You know, seeing as how this is a Typology forum...

There are both objective and subjective approaches to morality. Some tend towards one rather than the other, but both play a fundamental part in the psyche.
    Manners and mores vary from culture to culture and so are subjective.

But morality is universal, as expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and so morality is objective.

MBTI
    NFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Manners and mores vary from culture to culture and so are subjective.

But morality is universal, as expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and so morality is objective.
    No two are the same, yet all are one.

No two are the same, yet all are one.
    Well, manners and mores vary across a wide field, but morality is confined to human rights.

MBTI
    NFJ

Well, manners and mores vary across a wide field, but morality is confined to human rights.
    I personally think morality is confined to MY rights.

And my dog.

My cat doesn't give a shit.

I personally think morality is confined to MY rights.

And my dog.

My cat doesn't give a shit.
    If your morality was confined to your rights, then human rights would not be universal but would be subjective.

And it is nice to think your best friend agrees with you, but I worry about the cat - it might be catching.

So I tie my cat to a chair and torture them until they see reason - it is amazing how reasonable a cat can be.

MBTI
    NFJ

If your morality was confined to your rights, then human rights would not be universal but would be subjective.
    What a twist!

And it is nice to think your best friend agrees with you, but I worry about the cat - it might be catching.
    Yes, it's nice to have a best friend.

So I tie my cat to a chair and torture them until they see reason - it is amazing how reasonable a cat can be.

That ain't cool.

Best yes, it really is quite amazing.