User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 192

  1. #51
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I've recently been trying to go with my gut in terms of how I make decisions, knowing that my gut reacts dynamically according to the context of my personal preferences and the environment. If you try to iron out your ethics with too much logic, you just wind up being a stupid extremist who often cannot act according to real circumstances - circumstances that may necessitate the choosing of a lesser evil.

    Just an experiment, really though.

    That said, it should be obvious that decision making faculties are subjective and that even if you follow an article like The Declaration of Human Rights to the letter, your subconscious with throw unknown variables into your biases about how to apply them. If you tried to devote all of your mental energy into just The Declaration of Human Rights, then you would wind up creating a stringent "Us-Them" divide, thereby undoing the entire point...

    @Mole
    Or perhaps that works for them. who are you to say or dictate otherwise?

  2. #52
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Or perhaps that works for them. who are you to say or dictate otherwise?
    Or perhaps that doesn't work for them.

  3. #53
    Senior Member danseen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    784

    Default

    that's for them to determine.

    However, fuck "good" and fuck "evil". They're stupid concepts.

  4. #54
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    C'mon, morality is highly objective. And the object in question is the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

    It is narcissists who think morality is highly subjective.

    And for narcissists with no knowledge of history, it is inevitable they think morality is subjective.

    And of course the belief that morality is subjective serves the interests of narcissism.
    The U.N. has become a joke and many member states abstained from signing the UDHR, where as time passes more continue questioning and abstaining from it.

    Based on the above illogic, this must mean that all who question or abstain from it, must be narcissists because they don't share your morality. Billions of narcissists all over the world!

  5. #55
    Senior Member SensEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Is there a reason we need morals?
    Yes, if you want a civilized society.

    Imagine an extreme case where you say "anything goes". This might be the case for some people but not most. If it was the case for most, we'd all have to walk around armed to the teeth, lest the next guy we come across thinks we have something he wants. Nobody would ever co-operate to much of a degree, lest someone else rob them of the fruits of their labors.

    We'd end up being a bunch of tribals, banding together for some security but constantly squabbling with every other tribe in our vicinity.

  6. #56
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    However, fuck "good" and fuck "evil". They're stupid concepts.
    Well, you'd better be thankful that they exist, otherwise neither you nor anyone else would.

    By 'exist', I mean within the human mind. It is true that outside of the mind it is nonexistent. But then again, everything else is somewhat fabricated by our brains. Colours, textures, sounds, forms, they don't exist objectively speaking. The way we think is a mere singular perspective. We walk through life in slow motion relative to most other systems.

    So is asking about the existence of morals truly a legitimate question?

  7. #57
    The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne
    Posts
    3,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Well, you'd better be thankful that they exist, otherwise neither you nor anyone else would.

    By 'exist', I mean within the human mind. It is true that outside of the mind it is nonexistent. But then again, everything else is somewhat fabricated by our brains. Colours, textures, sounds, forms, they don't exist objectively speaking. The way we think is a mere singular perspective. We walk through life in slow motion relative to most other systems.

    So is asking about the existence of morals truly a legitimate question?
    Very good.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Gender: Male
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST


    I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

    You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

    -Magic Qwan

  8. #58
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    I love metaethics. Would've written a PH on it if I stayed in philosophy. If we accept the existence of morality, then it really makes no sense for it to be subjective, because then it loses out on its moral force. When someone tells a Neo-Nazi that racism is wrong, they're not just saying 'according to my society, racism is wrong'. Why would the Neo-Nazi care? Couldn't he/she just respond by saying 'but according to my Neo-Nazi community, racism is justified'? If there's no objective grounding in morality, ethics as we know it, do not truly exist.

    The instinctively attractive explanation is that morality exists, but only as a set of rules for us all to get along. An evolutionary social lubricant if you will. However, once again, it's hard to justify the moral force of ethics given this explanation. If you could kill a homeless person without any social consequences, isn't it still wrong to kill him? If it's not because of practical outcomes, then why is it important for us to all get along? Is it morally important for us to all get along? That just brings us back to square one.

    To me, there is no logical reason that can justify the existence morality -- a somehow external and objective idea of right and wrong. Pretty hard to accept instinctively and emotionally though.
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  9. #59
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Anything goes in the real world.
    These are the words of a psychopath.

  10. #60
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    The U.N. has become a joke and many member states abstained from signing the UDHR, where as time passes more continue questioning and abstaining from it.
    Gosh, we know precisely who have rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And they are 57 Islamic nations of the, "Organisation of Islamic Co-operation, OIC". And they have rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in favour of Sharia, so these 57 Islamic nations can continue to violate the human rights of women, the human rights of chidren, the human rights of lesbians, gays, transgenders and intersexed, and the human rights of Jews, Christians, Hindus and infidels.

    And these 57 Islamic nations have rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights so they can practice their religious duty of Jihad.

    The Jihad against the West has failed so the Islamists have turned on each other, and Sunni are now fighting Jihad against Shia.

    I can tell you Australia puts her blood and treasure behind the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as do other civilized nations informed by the European Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 12:54 AM
  2. [ESFP] Why isn't there any threads on ESFP's?
    By Eiddy in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 12:30 AM
  3. Why isn't Intuition more widely known?
    By Quinlan in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-07-2009, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO