User Tag List

First 51314151617 Last

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I still want my Hitler argument addressed. You never really addressed it. Was Hitler wrong, or is it all just an opinion and Hitler was just as right as anyone has ever been?
    You're not getting the parameters of this - nobody has ever been right or wrong because right and wrong don't exist IRL.

Heroin only promotes well being in the very short term. Obviously it is wrong to take heroin (and amphetamines, etc) if you're a normal person.
    Explain to me why this activity is "wrong" per se. What is a normal person exactly?

Socionics
    ILI

I still want my Hitler argument addressed. You never really addressed it. Was Hitler wrong, or is it all just an opinion and Hitler was just as right as anyone has ever been?
    To be objective, something must be universally understood as true. Though the majority of the population believes Hitler was evil and wrong, there are still those who praise his actions and visions. Therefore, it requires one to determine in ones own self whether or not Hitler was evil or good. Even though society condemns genocide and war objectively, there are still those who don't.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by entpersonal View Post
    You're not getting the parameters of this - nobody has ever been right or wrong because right and wrong don't exist IRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by entpersonal View Post
    Explain to me why this activity is "wrong" per se. What is a normal person exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alea_iacta_est View Post
    To be objective, something must be universally understood as true. Though the majority of the population believes Hitler was evil and wrong, there are still those who praise his actions and visions. Therefore, it requires one to determine in ones own self whether or not Hitler was evil or good. Even though society condemns genocide and war objectively, there are still those who don't.
    So you wouldn't have taken a side in WWII?

Socionics
    ILI

So you wouldn't have taken a side in WWII?
    That's a faulty leap, no, I would have. But ultimately, it would be a subjective stance. There is no objective stance in morality and war.

Objectivism is saying that 1 + 1 = 2, that a force exists that tethers us to Earth, and that the Western Roman Empire dissolved in 476 AD.

Subjectivism is saying that 1 problem + 1 problem = 2 failures, that Gravity is the force that tethers us to Earth, and that the Western Roman Empire was entirely evil and deserved the Visigoths' wrath.

MBTI
    INTP

That's a faulty leap, no, I would have. But ultimately, it would be a subjective stance. There is no objective stance in morality and war.
    Why would you take a subjective stance?

Socionics
    ILI

Why would you take a subjective stance?
    Because that's the only stance one can take. You act as if subjectivism is always disillusioned. Sometimes the individual's reasoning is better than the collective's ascertainment. Everyone always believes they are the good guy in the first person. It is only in the third person does someone become "bad".

MBTI
    INTP

Because that's the only stance one can take. You act as if subjectivism is always disillusioned. Sometimes the individual's reasoning is better than the collective's ascertainment. Everyone always believes they are the good guy in the first person. It is only in the third person does someone become "bad".
    I'm not sure how this answers my question. That certainly isn't the only stance one can take. As Americans we pretty much had three options. Fight against Hitler, fight for him, or do nothing. So why would you fight against Hitler, given that it is not the only stance one can take?

Socionics
    ILI

I'm not sure how this answers my question. That certainly isn't the only stance one can take. As Americans we pretty much had three options. Fight against Hitler, fight for him, or do nothing. So why would you fight against Hitler, given that it is not the only stance one can take?
    Of course it isn't the only stance, but there is only one kind of stance that one can take and that is the subjective stance. Anything objective must be unanimous. In fact, since there is are 3 splits in your examples, that shows that all three of those are subjective stances, that there is no universal truth to any of them, nothing makes one more right (in a logical sense, not a moral sense) than the other.

Objectively speaking, Hitler committed genocide and war crimes.

Subjectively speaking, Hitler is a bad person and evil for committing genocide and war crimes.

The difference is that objectivism can only deal with facts, while subjectivism can only deal with facts laced with opinion. Any appeal to Pathos (emotional and moral argument) is entirely subjective, while any appeal to Logos is usually objective.

MBTI
    INTP

Of course it isn't the only stance, but there is only one kind of stance that one can take and that is the subjective stance. Anything objective must be unanimous. In fact, since there is are 3 splits in your examples, that shows that all three of those are subjective stances, that there is no universal truth to any of them, nothing makes one more right (in a logical sense, not a moral sense) than the other.

Objectively speaking, Hitler committed genocide and war crimes.

Subjectively speaking, Hitler is a bad person and evil for committing genocide and war crimes.

The difference is that objectivism can only deal with facts, while subjectivism can only deal with facts laced with opinion. Any appeal to Pathos (emotional and moral argument) is entirely subjective, while any appeal to Logos is usually objective.
    You still are not answering my question. Why, subjectively, would you choose to fight against Hitler rather than fight for him or do nothing?