User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SensEye View Post
    Isn't that paper arguing morality is subjective? Here's it's concluding sentence (bold mine):

I read this as morality is subjective, but hey, that's a good thing.
    Did you just read the end of the paper or something? I would have to disagree with you - what she said isn't quite what you translated.

She specifically uses her line of reasoning to prove that there is a right way to live.

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I have no idea how anyone can say morality is subjective. Those people ALMOST (almost) deserve to have to live in concentration camps for saying something like that, 'cause it is like spitting in the face of 1) the people who have fought for the better world of today and 2) everyone who has suffered at the hands of grossly immoral people.

These idiots don't even think living in a death camp is different than living in historically unprecedented liberty and prosperity. LITERALLY. That's actually sickening. "It's all just an opinion man. What if someone WANTS to live in a death camp? It's all subjective. Hitler is technically just as good as George Washington." RIGHT. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. I mean how stupid can you possibly be?

There is a right and a fucking wrong god dammit. FUCK people who think morality is subjective.
    I think you may be a feeler in disguise.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    I think you may be a feeler in disguise.
    If anything that post displays my lack of regard for F.

We are inter-subjective animals, so we share the same subjectivity.

And when we share the same subjectivity, it becomes objective.

And when share the same morality, it becomes objective.

For instance, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is objective morality, and Sharia is objective morality.

Both moralities are objects and can be compared, analysed, evaluated and ingested and digested or regurgitated and rejected.

MBTI
    INTP

To do cartwheels every 4 seconds is an objectively wrong way to live.

It is objectively wrong because we are programmed not to want to do it.

The right way to live is the way that best complements our evolutionary programming. In other words, minimization of suffering.

Suffering is a neurochemical pathway, btw.

That paper explained it perfectly, really.

If you want an easy example to illustrate this, think of morality as analogous to health. A stupid person could say, "what if someone wants to get small pox, what if that is their definition of health?" Thing is, that will only EVER be a what if. Just because what promotes medicinal health isn't the exact same thing for everyone does not mean medicinal health does not exist as an objective science.

WhoCares

My brain hurts. I have to confess to spending no time whatsoever in such tedious thoughts. You folks can sort out the tedium of life, I'm too busy escaping into my mindscape. This is the kind of shit hardcore hipsters engage in.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by WhoCares View Post
    My brain hurts. I have to confess to spending no time whatsoever in such tedious thoughts. You folks can sort out the tedium of life, I'm too busy escaping into my mindscape. This is the kind of shit hardcore hipsters engage in.
    I'm glad you said this. Recently I have been seeing the things different people are into and wondering how they could possibly stand or even perhaps enjoy such tedium. This means I am like them. I have been wondering if I am just a complete dabbler, but maybe I have actually gotten into something somewhat deeply.

WhoCares

Maybe. I'm just poking fun because I realise I have spent zero seconds pondering the great questions in life. Been asking plenty of personal ones, but those cosmic topics? None. Must now mull over whether I'm missing out or not.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I have no idea how anyone can say morality is subjective. Those people ALMOST (almost) deserve to have to live in concentration camps for saying something like that, 'cause it is like spitting in the face of 1) the people who have fought for the better world of today and 2) everyone who has suffered at the hands of grossly immoral people.

These idiots don't even think living in a death camp is different than living in historically unprecedented liberty and prosperity. LITERALLY. That's actually sickening. "It's all just an opinion man. What if someone WANTS to live in a death camp? It's all subjective. Hitler is technically just as good as George Washington." RIGHT. RIIIIIIIIIGHT. I mean how stupid can you possibly be?

There is a right and a fucking wrong god dammit. FUCK people who think morality is subjective.
    Washington owned slaves, and endorsed Africans as inferior to whites. Hmmm.. a great guy? Choose a better example. lol.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    Washington owned slaves, and endorsed Africans as inferior to whites. Hmmm.. a great guy? Choose a better example. lol.
    Focus on the actual argument and use your brain. Hitler was a monster. Washington acted in a way standard for the time by owning slaves, and he happened to be a spectacular leader. In the same way, things you and I do today will be looked back in 200 years from now as immoral.