123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Pride is at the root of all evil

I heard someone say this yesterday? Do you agree? Not agree? Why?

(I'm not entirely certain I understand or agree with it which is why I'm posting this)

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    yupp

it's part of it, but pride can be good. Like you can have pride in your work, that's a good thing. But when you have pride in things you can't control and use it to justify putting others down it can be part of an evilness. so it depends where the pride comes from.IMO

I think there are two ways pride can be manifested - good and bad.

Hubris- bad

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Explains why Pride was the strongest Homunculus.

At least in the light where he could draw power from shadows. Ironically I thought that was a great parable for actual pride, at least destructive pride, we need some pride in ourselves.

But pride is a bit of an ego beast, it munches on attention and having its achievements shined on, much like the light, but once the light is removed it crawls back into the shadows and is diminished.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I think trust in yourself is fine and a good thing. I'm not sure if that's pride or not. Believing that you are invincible and incapable of error is a different thing entirely, and is probably not a good thing.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I think it is one of the more common emotions to be at the root of harming others yes. But, every emotion has a good way to use it and a bad way, and pride is far from the only cause. Fear, wrath, loss, envy, loneliness, all of them can drive a person to do 'evil' things. And all of them also have a beneficial and vital part to play in a person's life. It's a matter of how that impulse, given by that emotion, is processed by the person and whether they have the psychological tools to act properly on those impulses.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Greed and indifference are worse imo.

Ginkgo

An inflated sense of self-worth is negative IMO because it distorts how you view yourself in relation to your achievements and aspirations. Therefore, it hamstrings the "pride" of a more positive connotation - having a decent appreciation for that which you are responsible for. "Positive pride" and "negative pride", I think, are mutually exclusive; it would be reasonable to use different terms entirely to refer to them in separate categories. Otherwise, you wind up with people who value the diminishment of self-worth or value being egotistical after confusing cultural values.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

That was very nearly my signature for a while.

I'm touchy with the concept of sin. I don't fundamentally believe in sins, but let's use the concept as a heuristic.

If you subscribe to an altruistic moral scheme, then I basically think the statement is true. I do think that that malice, avarice, cowardice, deceit, and even ignorance, are largely born out of ego, and you know, none of those things would actually be bad if you followed a strictly egoist ethic. But I do not.

So I give a qualified yes.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

No, I don't agree. Evil seems to equate with suffering life feels in responce to not dealing well with the chaos of change.

I actually think that pride is a good trait, as it gives us faith in our own promise and abilities, which is much of the force needed to conquer evil.